Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Has Dizzy Spells After Eating

James R
June 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
My cat has dizzy spells, usually after eating. This doesn't happen at every meal but randomly. We have tried different foods, feeding her smaller more frequent meals but still these dizzy spells persist. We have spent countless hours and money at the vet and there has not been a definitive solution or reason for this. I have been reading about hypoglycaemia or Low Blood Sugar. Have any of you folks had an experience such as this with any of your pets? If you have and you have a suggestion or solution, please let me know.

raingirl
June 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM
How long after eating does the dizzy spell happen? Immediately or later?

I (as a human) have reactive hypoglycemia which is a faster acting more devastating version. My blood sugar drops RAPIDLY about 20 minutes after eating, no matter what I eat. With most people, it drops sometimes, usually after foods with sugar or carbs, but more slowly.

I don't know how that would work in cats. If it is right after, then it's probably not the food. Could it be a vestibular problem from leaning down towards the food? If there is an ear problem, like infection or just dirty ears, leaning down could make a balance problem when the cat gets up. Try raising the dishes??

Karin
June 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM
My cat has dizzy spells, usually after eating. This doesn't happen at every meal but randomly. We have tried different foods, feeding her smaller more frequent meals but still these dizzy spells persist. We have spent countless hours and money at the vet and there has not been a definitive solution or reason for this. I have been reading about hypoglycaemia or Low Blood Sugar. Have any of you folks had an experience such as this with any of your pets? If you have and you have a suggestion or solution, please let me know.

Not much info to go on except you read alot.

How do you know she gets dizzy? How old a cat? Health history? etc, etc. What does the vet really say?...nothing I can see here leads me to believe your vet has an opinion, just your own. Most people that are not satisfied with a vet will state just that...I know some bad vets, and some great ones. Credit due where it belongs.

My .03 cents worth. (inflation)

James R
June 11th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Thank you Karin for your .03 cents worth. Our vet is the best and most caring professionals you could find. They are just baffled because they have not come upon a case such as this one. So please don't assume that I am putting them down, I am trying to get information which they may not be privy to, I am trying to help them to help my little Cat.
I know that my Cat is dizzy because she suddenly starts walking in tight circles and if we don't stop her and hold her to calm her, she falls over. Very disoriented. Her head continues to jerk in the direction that she was spinning as we hold her. Each episode can last from a half hour to several hours before she comes out of it.
My cat is 3 years old and has had this condition since the beginning. She had been tentatively diagnosed and treated for epilepsy but my vet never fully believed this was her true condition. The medication (Phenobarbital) did seem to help but now regardless of the medication, she is having more frequent episodes.

Hi raingirl thank you for your response. Most of the time the episodes begin immediately after eating, sometimes she cannot finish her bowl before it happens. This morning I gave her breakfast and the episode started. This lasted about 2 hours. My wife gave her lunch and she was fine. This evening we gave her an early dinner and she was fine but continued to ask for more food, when my wife complied, she immediately had an episode, which lasted about an hour.
I like your suggestion in reference to a vestibular condition. I had bought this up to my vet, he had a thorough look at her ears, cleaned them up and gave us some drops to help clean the ear and help any possible irritation. We didn't see any noticeable improvement. I will try raising her dish and see if this helps, that is one thing I hadn't done yet. Thanks.

Mockingcat
June 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Because of the timing of this, I may be able to help you out...

I'm caring for my mother in law's diabetic cat this weekend. She told me that if she starts walking in tight circles, wobbling, acting 'drunk' (for lack fo a better word) to take a dab of corn syrup and put it on her gums to help normalize her blood sugar...

Maybe your kitty's blood sugar spikes when he eats? Has diabetes been ruled out?

lilith_rizel
June 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I think mockingcat may have just helped out with your issues there. It seems there is another cat that does the same thing. I would have that checked asap. And please let us know what you find out.....

James R
June 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Raingirl, we tried the raised bowl suggestion, it is too early to tell yet but with three meals down there hasn't been any episodes.
The reason I bought up hypoglycemia is because I understand that it causes dizziness and I didn't know a whole lot about it's symptoms. Thank you for enlightening me.

Thank you mockingcat, I went out and bought a bottle of Corn Syrup. If it doesn't work for our little Cat it will be great on Pancakes. Quite some time back our little Cat was tested for diabetes and came up negative. It is interesting that your mother-in-law's Cat displays similar symptoms and I gather Corn Syrup has been helping, interesting remedy. Anything is worth a shot and this a great forum for exchanging information to help our little friends. If anyone else out there has a suggestion, please write it down.

Mockingcat
June 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
From what I gather, the corn syrup acts as a boost to her blood sugar... much like a diabetic person taking a swig of soda or eating a piece of candy. Sorry that it didn't help out much, but good luck with your kitty!

Kariia
June 15th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Maybe her food lowers her blood sugar? That's all I can think of...maybe try switching her food.

James R
June 15th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Thank you Kariia. We have tried most brand name foods. Cat, fish type foods, seems to trigger the episodes more frequently. Fresh Salmon appears okay. We have been feeding her with a lot of fresh human foods lately. She really likes bottled Baby Food. We feel that this will have a lot of good nutrients.

I am including a pic of our little Lippy. She is about half the size of a regular Cat. We feel that this has happened because she was born feral, probably to a mum who was too young and under nourished. Our vet has said that they believe that she may have had a difficult birth and didn't get enough oxygen when it was needed, which has left her mentally challenged. This is why we have to bath her, she doesn't know how to do this for herself. There is a long list of things which Cats know by instinct to do, she displays very little normal instincts.

James R
June 16th, 2005, 04:56 PM
My little Lippy had another episode today right after eating breakfast. She remained in this state for most of the day. It is just awful seeing her in this uncontrolled state. Here's another pic of Lippy.

happycats
June 16th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Could it be a food allergy ? or and allergy to the materials her feeding dish is made out of, ar maybe an allergy to the cleaners used to clean her dishes.

I look at that sweet little face and wish there was something I could do to help her, I'm sorry I can't help more.

James R
June 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Thank you Happycats. That is a very good suggestion, her food bowls have now been changed. It is as if something builds up in her system and without warning, it is released immediately after eating. She is a very happy little Cat.