Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

morning visitor poor possum

melanie
June 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM
poor possy (ringtail possum, boy), i found him this mornign at my back door, other dogs have attacked him nad he cant walk, (not charlie, she is inside at night) , not to mention he is very disorientated as he is strictly nocturnal and its morning.... oh poor possy. i have him snug in a box with a towel (i jsut realised i cant get the towel back as he would need to be disturbed too much, oh well he can keep it).....

he is in a dark warm box next to my bed in the dark room ,charlie is not anywhere near him and wont be either, that is the worst for natives, to smell predators outside the box, oh poor possy....i wish ppl would either put their dogs inside or in kennels that they cant get out of at night, its not fair on the natives...

the wildlife rescue team are on the way, they will take him in for a check up then release him in a more appropriate area, poor boy must have gotten so scared to end up here...

Luba
June 11th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Oh Mel thats so sad!

((hugs))

melanie
June 11th, 2005, 08:03 PM
wildlife rescue jsut came and picked him up, he will go home with them, get a check up, get some rehab and then be released back into the bush..... hes really reallly realllllly cute,, i love possums......

he must have gotten kicked out of the nest by mum but he is a little too young to be on his own, he is around 8kg and needs to be 13kg at least before leavign the nest, but with the drought many animals are starving and killing or getting rid of young as a survival measure....the wildlife rescue lady has 4 other juvinile male possys at the mo, its happening alot.....

i have seen lots of dead joeys, the mums are kicking them out of the pouch too as they are starving, see the driought has no effect on humans compared with the poor natives...

but he is happy now and with a realyl nice lady who will take care of him.....yay for poor little possy.....

Luba
June 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I'm glad he'll be okay, thats great the wildlife centre picked him up, I'm sure he's cutie!

As for the joey's thats very disappointing, not because of the roo's but because of the lack of water they have. They must feel that they have no choice but for survival.

I'll pray for a lot of rain but not enough to flood ;)

melanie
June 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
kangaroos are the best in drought, when the water dries up the male stops producing sperm, and the female shuts down her organs sortof. if a female roo is preggers when drought comes she can actually enduce dormancy in her body and the eggs are put on ice so to speak before the joey forms, it is then kept till the rains come again, she will also stop feeding and kill her joeys, which is sensible really as there is no food to feed it so it will starve...

during good rains a female can have three joeys on the hop, one in the womb forming soto speak, one a few weeks old living in the pouch, and one that is older that is kicked out of puch but still requires milk.....

natures own way of preserving life really....so clever

Luba
June 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Wow thats amazing Mel and you're so knowledgeable about that! Smartie pants and all that!

melanie
June 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM
lol your funny!!! i think roos (macropods) are one of the coolest mammals around, and in australia our isolation means we have some pretty special characters like our monotreams (egg laying mammals) ofwhich 3 exist world wide, 2 here (platypus and short nose echidna) and one in puapa new guniea (long nose echidna)

years ago now i did my level one certificate in vet nursing for native animals, that is where i learnt lots of this stuff......it was when charlie was a puppy actually..... a girls gotta have an interest i suppose and mine is my country and its gourgeous inhabitants ( im an env scientist, i would know nothing on many other subjects i assure you :p ).... :D :D