Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Therapy dog

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Anyone know how to get your dog to become a "therapy dog"?

Odin LOVES people and just loves to be petted and scratched. I also find that people (especially older ones) love seeing bulldogs. I often get the "winston churchhill" comment (aparently he had a white bulldog).

I have some time on my hands right now and was thinking I would love to bring some joy to people either in hospitals or retirement homes.

I beleive there is some kind of test they have to do right?

Jackie467
June 10th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure how it works there but here my friends dog is a thearpy dog. She had to have basic training, then take a k-9 good citizen test. They have to be really good at things like leave it because if there is a pill on the floor you have to get it out of their mouth immedatly. Her dog loves it, she's a cavalier king charles spaniel. Hope you can get some more information. good luck, I bet you and Odin will both love it.

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah, that's the test I was thinking about. how does one get tested for that? We have spoke with our trainer, and we have a book with the requirements, but it doesn't say where to find out about tests. He is done basic obedience, and we will be doing obedience level 2 in the fall.

Odin has been so well behaved lately. He doesn't pull or pay attention to anything like other dogs, people, kids anymore. He just ignores everything and goes for his walk. It's great! I am so proud of him! He also knows not to pee in front of the doors to our building now, and because of that he does pull right away when we get outside to where he can pee, but after that he is fine (can't blame him for having to pee!!).

Jackie467
June 10th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Sorry can't help you with finding where the test is. I know she took her training at a place called H.O.T. dogs because they offered the k-9 good citizen test and agility (her dog does both). I hope you can find it. I know my friend and her dog just love doing thearpy dogs, they both have a lot of fun.

Lise
June 11th, 2005, 08:26 AM
For info on pet therapy online it's www.tpoc.ca or call Judy Sauve at 613-632-6502,hope this helps

Writing4Fun
June 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Talk to St. John's Ambulance. http://www.sja.ca/english/volunteer/therapy_dog_program/index.asp They have a therapy dog program. I'm thinking of putting Phoebe into that when she's a little older (and the kids are both in school ;) ).

JessXx
June 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Well we have CHEMO thats a place to get in touch with and they'll train your dog/s.
Try google and do ur city cause every place is dif. :D