Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Newspaper Articles Section

Shamrock
June 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I wonder how members feel overall about this section?
I avoid it entirely as often the posts are about horrific animal abuse or animal attacks. Yet - there are other noteworthy offerings in there that are amazing, interesting and heartwarming.

Of course, no member HAS to read anything - can skip posts here or in any section that you dont care for. But for me sometimes just the headings conjure up disturbing images that are upsetting.

Do you agree with this - or feel these storie SHOULD be relayed? They ARE newsworthy, I realize, but question what is to be gained from learning of them?

I wondered about the idea of changing the heading of this to "INSPIRING stories/ general interest stories from around the world?
In other words - no horrifying deeds - from man or animal.

Maybe I am just far too squeamish - and I admit I avoid things of this nature on tv, newspapers etc.
Suppose its a form of burying the head in the sand, but frankly I'd just rather "not" know.

I certainly dont propose to speak for anyone else, and that is why I wondered your thoughts on this area?

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Well you know I'm a big advocate of The Right To Post.

But you bring up a good point when you say:sometimes just the headings conjure up disturbing images that are upsetting.

I have to admit, that is also true for me. I don't read the horrific stories, but once I've read the title, that is often enough to haunt me throughout the day.

JDG
June 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I have to agree, I tend to skip that forum all together. . .

But those stories are about animals in the news, perhaps we have to take the good with the bad. . .(it just seems like there is a whole lotta bad, and not enough of the good)

Its perhaps a catch 22. . .on one hand a dog mauling a child is news. . .but for a website aganist BSL it does seem pointless to put such stories up, as it contradicts the work people put into the fight agansit BSL. . .

Shamrock, I think you and I need to keep doing what were doing and just avoid that particular board. . .

Picture/Pet Photography board, here I come!

Joey

chico2
June 10th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I too never read that forum,we all know it is going on,but no,I cannot handle reading about abuse...
The fate of Kensington the cat here in Toronto,still haunts me to this day!!

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Ah, but it is unavoidable when you click on "new posts". And don't the titles still show when you are searching for the forum you want?

I'll meet you at the photography board, Joey!

Shamrock
June 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Yes, Cactus Flower, exactly. Even if you are not visiting this area - there is sometimes a shocking title at the very top of the page. It can be a bit "jarring".
An alternate idea might be to perhaps move this forum to another location? Instead of first selection, maybe last? Not quite so visible and prominent.
It appears it to be one of the less frequented forums anwyay.

twodogsandacat
June 10th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Ignore stories like this and then the next thing you know you are wondering why the world doesn't care about Bosnia, Somolia,Rwanda or Sudan.

I say keep it the way it is. The world is a sick place and we need to know it.

Shamrock
June 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Ignore stories like this and then the next thing you know you are wondering why the world doesn't care about Bosnia, Somolia,Rwanda or Sudan.

I say keep it the way it is. The world is a sick place and we need to know it.

A very valid point, twodogsandacat, and one I'm sure many agree with.
I think we all have a desire, and a moral obligation to keep abreast of world news. They are vitally important and affect us all. Cant wear blinkers to the horror of global events.

But "isolated" incidents of cruelty and abuse are not the same thing - in my opinion. I dont see the benefit gained. Awareness? We know cruelty exists,tragedy strikes, and animals sometimes figure into both. :sad:

The "bad" stories,the sensational and shocking will always grab the news headlines -whether concering people or animals. The media reporting such events have a lot of power in influencing public views.
WE know that serious dog attacks are VERY rare.
As mentioned by JDG, I also wonder - by relaying and condensing these widely-spread out stories into one forum - is it possible the opposite impression is being conveyed? At a glance - from just reading the titles?

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 10:27 PM

Twodogs, can you please explain what you meant by this? Everyone else seems to understand it, but I'm at a complete loss :o .

Daisy's Owner
June 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM
WE know that serious dog attacks are VERY rare.

Someone new to the forum may not. Someone new to the forum may not have any knowledge of BSL or any of the horrific cruelty to animals that goes on in the world.

marko
June 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
This is just a thought - but what about a good news only subforum?

Would this be something people would be interested in?

chico2
June 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Marko...I always look for a smiley,then I'll read the story...as long as there is a happy ending.
I don't see any reason to change anything,I just don't read what I don't want to read.

iRONKNiGHT
June 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM
The Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Freedom of speech
Freedom of Information
Freedom of expression

Offensive or not, the "Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World"
is a very important part of our forum...you do not have to read it if you dont like it.. that's a right you have.

As far as "Shocking New's goes"
We dont live in a perfect world,and If you choose to hide behind a mask, and ignore the world troubles, then that's your choice.. the freedom to choose!

The "Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World" has been here long before many, and will continue being here long thereafter,it is my hope that it remain's that way..

My view..
The Pets.ca Forum was created for animal lovers of all walks of life, too provide and share an awareness of information on the animals we all care about infact all animals in general, Thus creating a mosaic of information where you can find that there's always something for everyone.

Thanks too the Admins Marko and Dave.

iRONKNiGHT
June 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Marko...
I don't see any reason to change anything,I just don't read what I don't want to read.

I too feel the same as Chico2 :)

Shamrock, I think you and I need to keep doing what were doing and just avoid that particular board. . .
Shamrock this does not change how i or we feel about you but i agree with JDG! and it's our opinions on this matter..

Shamrock
June 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Ironknight, I would just like to address a couple of your points in this matter?

"Offensive or not, the "Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World"
is a very important part of our forum...you do not have to read it if you dont like it.. that's a right you have."
-----
Yes, you are quite right.
In my OP I stated:
"Of course, no member HAS to read anything - can skip posts here or in any section that you dont care for".
That certainly goes for me too.
------
"As far as "Shocking New's goes"
We dont live in a perfect world,and If you choose to hide behind a mask, and ignore the world troubles, then that's your choice.. the freedom to choose!""
----
IronKnight,could you elaborate on why you think I (or anyone) would be ignoring the worlds troubles or hiding behind a mask based on not wishing to read these stories?.
Dont believe I do either, frankly. This one small field does not represents the worlds troubles, albeit human cruelty is a part of troubles that plague the earth.
I know serial killers exist. Do I NEED to read the gruesome details of each new case? How does that make me " more knowledeable" about this topic? If I felt I needed more insight, I would try to delve into the mind of the perpetrator on the cause - not the outcome.

I DO try to avoid reading upsetting and graphic details of abuse involving animals and children. As I mentioned, I AM squeamish, likely more than some. I wish I had never heard of Kensington the cat, as it haunts me and shakes my faith in humanity. :
But that doesnt mean I wear I wear rose-coloured glasses either. :D
I read the newspapers, watch tv, listen and learn of world events. In our media-saturated society, pretty hard to avoid it - even if you WANTED to. ;)

----------

"My opinon:
The Pets.ca Forum was created for animal lovers of all walks of life, too provide and share an awareness of information on the animals we all care about infact all animals in general, Thus creating a mosaic of information where you can find that there's always something for everyone."

---
Ironknight, that is what I was asking for - opinions. I presented my slant on things to open up the discussion within the membership.
The majority here appears to feel that no changes are necessary. I am most definitely fine with that.
Marko, thanks for offering that suggestion! From the overall input here.. dont think its warranted.
Its a great site, with a great group of people! Diversity is what makes life interesting.

Utopia? Not in our lifetime.. or anyones, likely. ;)

chico2
June 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Shamrock,thank's for mentioning "Kensington",I don't want him to be forgotten,it was a case of animal-abuse that bothered me for weeks on weeks,I cried buckets for this poor little soul and could have beaten those torturers to a pulp,given the chance(and I am definetly NOT violent!).But as it was they got away with as usual,a slap on the wrist.I hope wherever Kensington now is,he knows we cared :sad:

JDG
June 11th, 2005, 06:00 PM

This isn't all together a bad idea - how about we modify this idea bit, what about a set of rules for what type of stories can be posted??

Personally I think, as I mentioned before, stories about dogs bitting people perhaps should be nixed. This way it doesn't interfere with the work people are doing to stop Breed Specific Legislation. . . . we are shooting ourselves in the foot by posting threads about it.

Perhaps also there should be a *disclaimer* in the title of the thread, 'Graphic' etc to let people know off the bat what type of story it is.

In the end we all need to make our own choices of which thread we choose to read, but a little help knowing which to 'avoid' isn't a bad thing :p :p

Thank you Marko for considering this idea.

iRONKNiGHT
June 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
The Newspaper Articles Section
I wonder how members feel overall about this section?

The majority here appears to feel that no changes are necessary. I am most definitely fine with that.

End of discussion...

Shamrock
June 12th, 2005, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=JDG]

In the end we all need to make our own choices of which thread we choose to read :p :p /QUOTE]

We do indeed. :)

I agree too Ironknight - absolutley no need to go further here. The tribe has spoken. :D

If I could just offer one (last) suggestion for consideration - as per JDG's comment on a "guideline".

The post headings are generally a clear indication of what is contained within. But not in evey last instance.
What about adding a 'graphic" symbol to the icon list for post headings?
I dont know what it could be? Could be anything - but would signify content MAY be disturbing - to some.
This could be used anywhere within the Forum ( an optional thing, of course)

There are a few now - ( angry, sad, mad, thumbs down) that are used, but might one that STRICTLY meant graphic be of any benefit?

Prin
June 13th, 2005, 03:28 AM

How about a forum called "Good news" with a sub-forum for bad news? And rules about graphic titles if people are so offended.

(I put more on the other thread about nearly the same issue).