Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Take the One-Tonne Challenge

nymph
June 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM
http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/onetonne/calculator/english/index.asp

Use less energy, save money, improve air quality and protect our environment.
www.climatechange.gc.ca

Many good tips, for example:
-Set your air conditioner at 24 degree centigrade (75F), and raise it when you go out. For each degree set below 24, you use 3% to 5% more energy
-A reduction of 3 degree at night or when you are away provide optimal saving. (I'm assuming this is meant for the winter months)
-keep your refrigerator temp between 1.7C (35F) to 3.3C (38F) and the freezer compartment at -18C(0F) for maximum efficiency and safety.

Someone actually went to my home last Sunday to install low-flow shower heads, free of charge, also sponsored by government of Canada. Each shower head retails for $20 each.

I only use 3.81 Tonnes!

Lissa
June 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Great link Nymph!!!

I use 2.52 tonnes...if it were my choice, I would reduce further by getting rid of the extra freezer and fridge and dispose of my car.

Although, my household already does more than most people I know. Even though we have a dryer, we only use when we can't dry the clothes outside, we are in the process of removing the dishwasher and I only use the car on weekends to go to Conroy Pit. When taking a shower, we all turn off the water unless we are rinsing ourselves off, we don't water our lawn and are instead turning it into a rockery. We keep the heating and a/c low instead of cranking it up and had all of our windows/doors replaced to insulate better.

We have a composter but don't use it as often as we should so that will be my immediate goal to reduce!

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM
we use 0.99 tonnes

im a lil serprised i thought we would use more then that hehe

Eleni

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM
its so weird because we arent even able to recycle here, i figured my score would be alot higher

nymph
June 10th, 2005, 03:33 PM
OMG! How do you guys do it? Seriously I think I'm above average:
all my appliances are energy-starred,
I use halogene lights or high-efficiency lights,
I have a programmable thermostat that regulates my house temp accordingly,
I take the bus to work,
we only have one small Acura,
I recycle rigorously,
I use low-pressure shower heads, rarely taking bath,
I don't water my lawn,

I know where I could improve though: composting, but the concept is kinda gross just to think about. :yuck:

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 03:35 PM
well I dont drive, and dont own a car, and we dont own a lawn to water or mow.

our landlord controls the heat, wich is electric, and its aways as low as it can possibly be so he can save money heh

we also dont use a washer or dryer we go to the laudrymat

aside from that I dont do anything differently

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I did it before, can't remember my number. I'll do it again...

Some of the stuff I didn't know because we are in an apartment, so it could be lower. 50% was just heating/cooling which is funny, because our HVAC unit SUCKS. The air always comes out the same temp no matter what setting it is at. They have already fixed it twice and it still sucks. Also, my car is so old it wasn't on the list. Last time I did it, I didn't have a car.

If I bought a Smart Car (which also wasn't on their system the last time I did it) it would go down about 25% of "1 tonne". All the rest of their suggestions like installing water saving shower heads, aerators on taps, short showers instead of baths, all our bulbs are compact fluorescents already, turning off lights/stuff when I leave the room, stuff like that I already do. Even if I did all of their suggestions for reducing, I couldn't reduce another 1 tonne. Oh well..

Nymph, if you live in a house, that's what makes it high automatically. the more living space you have and square feet of your house, the more polution you emit per square foot.

unfortunately for our planet to survive much longer, we are all going to have to start moving into smaller units, apartments, and such. They are way better for the environment.

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Hmmm...19 tonnes...something doesn't seem right there. The vehicles make up for 16 of those tonnes, so I'm sure I've done something wrong. I'll have to try it again.

We had them come and measure the house. We've replaced the furnace, and we'll be finishing the basement and replacing the front door, all on thier recommendations. I think we'll get about $1000 grant. Sweet!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I am recycling composting, not using the dryer and car pooling to work, we also have the low flush toilets.

Prin
June 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
In my new house, I'm at 2.64. And I didn't lie at all... I drive a lot (driving is 77% of my waste. Then there's 18% that is household waste and the rest is tiny.

Nymph, do you heat with gas or oil? Could be the heating source in your home that is green house gassy.

mrjohndoe
June 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM

I think there is some flaws here? I live by myself. Don't always shower everyday (except when necessary). Live in a small apartment with two energy efficient appliances. Put out the blue box and garbage once a month. The only area I could improve is in some sort of composting?

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM
just so you know, if you put "don't know" it will use the national average (or average for your area...not sure) so it will make your number higher.

nymph
June 13th, 2005, 02:01 PM
yeah prin: my heater is powered by natural gas, so are my hot water boiler and range. I'm kinda an even distribution:

heating & cooling: 33%
transportation: 22%
water heating (what is it?): 18%
appliances: 14%
household waste: 12%
lighting: 4%

I must admit that I have a very low tolerance for humidity, between 40% to 60% is what I would feel comfortable, so I keep my humidifier running all the time in winter and dehumidifier running the rest of the year.

Since taking the test, I've adjusted my thermostat to be 24-27-24C (home-leave-sleep), 2 degrees higher than my normal setting, to my surprise it wasn't too bad at all.

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM
it must be the fact that we dont drive or own an automobile that puts us so low

Eleni