Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who Has Air??

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I don't know how to make a poll, but I'm just wondering................how many of you have AIR CONDITIONING???????

I have one for at home, but unfortunately it is still in storage at my Mom's!! We've been debating whether or not to get it. Hydro is expensive these days! And no, no air at work either :mad:

We do have an awesome shade tree at home, but the bugs are really bad! Can't win!!

lilith_rizel
June 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM
We have air..... Good thing to, with it being above 85 most days now, and the hottest month is September!!! Around that time last year, it was mid to hing 90's

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM
we ahve a window unit air conditioner, but its not doing so great, my husband is getting it serviced next week when he gets paid

i cant wait, its HOT here

Eleni

iRONKNiGHT
June 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Gosh...AC is a MUST once you go AC you wont go back...
it's worth every cent you pay for in usage!!

Writing4Fun
June 10th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Yup, central air. Don't know how I ever lived without it. :D

Copper'sMom
we ahve a window unit air conditioner, but its not doing so great, my husband is getting it serviced next week when he gets paid

i cant wait, its HOT here

Eleni

You're in an apartment right? I really feel for you! That's gotta be the worst!

happycats
We have central air, and I love it :D I also have air at work, I guess I'm pretty Lucky :) . I have friends who work in factories with no air, and machines running, making it even hotter, :sad:

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm not a really big fan of air conditioners or central air unless it is super hot out(like today)!

My mom has central air, but they turn it on when it's 23 degrees celceus(for some odd reason, I can't remeber how to spell that word!) I only like air, when it's too hot to breathe or move!

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM
yeah, and my apartment unit goes in an "L" shape, so the air circulation isnt great

some hot days its better just to sit out under some trees and relax then hang out in the apartment

Eleni

Karin
June 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I'll refrain from posting here since the poster feels I should keep to myself.

lilith_rizel
June 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Our old house didn't have the best air, and it was terrible being pregnant! I have to have it on all the time during the summer. It is so humid here, that if it wasn't on, I wouldn't be able to do anything. Plus with Judith now, it can't be overly hot for her, and her room is the worst...... So we keep it around 75 F all the time. Feels really nice coming in from outside, even if it was just to go get the mail....

Rita
June 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM
We have central air at home but only use it when it gets REALLY hot for a few days in a row .... like now ;)
Even then we usually turn it off at night and open windows and turn a fan on ... I just prefer 'real' air and a fan alone can make a big difference. I find after a while the air conditioning bothers me and I get a sore throat, runny nose, etc..
Our office building is also air conditioned .... to the point where I have to wear a sweater all summer long and by the end of the day my toes are usually freezing :evil: I also keep a blanket for those days when I might wear a skirt to work but by mid afternoon need to cover them as they start to turn blue from the cold :eek:

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM

huh? not sure i get this ?

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Cheryl hates air conditioning, even though we have central air. We almost never turn it on, usually I'm warm and she's cold. The last couple of weeks she's been really hot, though, to the point where she was complaining about the heat and it was about 17C in the house. Right now, we always have it on.

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Our old house didn't have the best air, and it was terrible being pregnant! I have to have it on all the time during the summer. It is so humid here, that if it wasn't on, I wouldn't be able to do anything. Plus with Judith now, it can't be overly hot for her, and her room is the worst...... So we keep it around 75 F all the time. Feels really nice coming in from outside, even if it was just to go get the mail....

being pregnant in the summer is the worst!!

my babies are all fall/winter babies

Issac was born in october and I suffered terribly!!

I feel bad for women who deliver in august

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM
smae here Eleni.....

Beaglemom
June 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM
We moved in to a new house and the builder was asking way too much to install central air, so we thought that we would have it installed later by a contractor. Two years later, no ac. We talk about installing one, but something else always comes up. We will eventually. Copper's Mom, you are right, Hydro is very expensive here! Without ac it is pretty affordable, not much per month. I'm scared to see just how much it will be once we have the central air installed :eek:

Lissa
June 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM
We have air conditioning at home but the car's a/c broke so it's gonna be a very HOT summer!

My basement is my haven and is deliciously cool even without air conditioning - so much so that I need a blankie! When my bedroom was downstairs I used to sleep with my duvet throughout the summer. Now that I'm upstairs I suffer through the heat of the night :) !!!

amber416
June 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM

oh i was in florida last week.....southern florida.....i will keep my mouth shut about the heat up here in wisconsin :)

Writing4Fun
June 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
being pregnant in the summer is the worst!!...I feel bad for women who deliver in august

And there's the exact reason why we had central air installed. :D

We have the ac set at 25, so it only comes on when it's really, really hot. Really, all it does is remove the humidity from the air, but I find that is the very best relief!

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Karin I'll refrain from posting here since the poster feels I should keep to myself.

huh? not sure i get this ?

I had posted something in another thread(JenSteels') which I then deleted and apologized for since I took it in the wrong way. I couldn't delete it sooner, because I don't have a computer at home, so it was on there all weekend.

Again Karin, I'm sorry. :sorry:

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
We moved in to a new house and the builder was asking way too much to install central air, so we thought that we would have it installed later by a contractor. Two years later, no ac. We talk about installing one, but something else always comes up. We will eventually. Copper's Mom, you are right, Hydro is very expensive here! Without ac it is pretty affordable, not much per month. I'm scared to see just how much it will be once we have the central air installed :eek:

Wouldn't central air be cheaper than running a windo air conditioner?? It costs alot to have central air put in, but to actually run it, I don't think it's that bad.

Beaglemom
June 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't central air be cheaper than running a windo air conditioner?? It costs alot to have central air put in, but to actually run it, I don't think it's that bad.

Our builder had quoted us a ridiculous amount for a cheap unit and when we called their contractor directly we were quoted a lot less. We decided that in that case we would rather choose our own central air conditioner unit and buy a good one for the same price the builder quoted us. We just haven't gotten around to it. We had just got married and had a lot of expenses at the time.

You are correct though, window units are much more expensive to run than central air. I can't wait to get our central air installed.

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
We don't really use air conditioners here. We mainly use swamp coolers. They put humidity into the air, which is a necessity in the desert. They also use less power than air conditioners, so that's a bonus.
Here's how they work: Water runs through several pads, soaking them, and the fans blows air through the wet pads, and into your house. This fills your house with cool, humid air!

That said, if it drops below 80(F) degrees , I'm cold. I thrive in the heat, and only run the swamp cooler for my son and my doggies.

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM
window units can use more energy and are more poluting than central AC. With Central you have more control over the temp if you have a programmable thermostat (just learned that from the 1 tonne challange website).

We have AC but it doesn't work well. It's still 80F in our apartment with it on.

I agree about only using it when necessary. I hate walking into houses that are freezing when there is only one person in there. On hot humid days, or when it's hot several days in a row, i agree that turning it on helps. At night it's off and windows are open for the breeze though. Unless it's over 80F inside, I say don't turn it on.

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM
being pregnant in the summer is the worst!!

I couldn't imagine how Cheryl would be if she had to go into July. She's suffering now as it is! She plans on going to Canada's Wonderland tomorrow. That should be interesting. I think she's planning on trying to sneak onto the drop zone to get the baby out.

AliSam
June 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM
We have air conditioning in the house and in both cars thank goodness. The dogs would still rather go outside and lie in the sun panting to death!

sammiec
June 10th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I feel bad for women who deliver in august

I'm due August 20th..

We have central air in our apartment, our new house does too, so does work and my car. I spend only about 1 hour in the heat after work when I take the dog out, then we got out later (like 9ish) when it's cooled down a bit.

JDG
June 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM
We just bought 2 air con units . . . . for MArty and Minou! :P

BMDLuver
June 10th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Central Air Rocks! I went through both pregnancies with no air at our farm and was not a happy camper, nor was my daughter when summer hit. It's now top of my list when buying a new home. I'm not a heat person nor are my girls. My husband loves the heat. Go figure, lol.

chico2
June 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
We have central air,this is our second unite and I also have a wonderful pool,which enables me to work in my garden etc...a dip in the pool,then some work,another dip and.... :D
Both cars have air too..
Today it's REALLY hot,but I keep my AC on 25C,don't like it too cold...when it is not too hot,I like my windows open AC off,like to hear the birds!!

kandy
June 10th, 2005, 06:11 PM
She plans on going to Canada's Wonderland tomorrow. That should be interesting. I think she's planning on trying to sneak onto the drop zone to get the baby out.

Hey, women have tried all sorts of things! When my mom was young, they recommended lots of castor oil and bumpy rides in the car! LOL

I wish it was friggin warm enough here to even think about A/C! And I'm also in a desert, so we use a swamp cooler too. Have a window mount one. During the summer, hubby and I fight over the controls - he's always hot and I'm always cold. I would like to live somewhere that had a little more humidity than here since its sooooo dry - but I can't stand lots of humidity. We went to Iowa in August once, and I thought I was going to die!

Safyre
June 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I have a/c, and am stubbron and hate to turn it on.justice got sick one night, and we knew she had't ate anything bvad, we figured the heat, so we turned on the A/C's.
Its 32 C with a humidex of 41
Not bad, earlier the Humidex was 44

Luba
June 10th, 2005, 06:31 PM
If I didn't have air today I'd be dead LOL

It's so hot my skin is melting off my body.

NOT to mention skeeters are frigging LOVING this humidity man I've never had so many of those pesky little jerkoffs biting me. :crazy:

EVERYONE keep cool PLEASE!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Yes we have air I could not live with out it the okanagan summers can get pretty hot.

Prin
June 10th, 2005, 07:49 PM
We have a brand new window air conditioner in the locker of our apartment and now we spend most of our time in the house-- it's pretty hot moving in this weather. I've been painting for the last 7 days (every friggen day has been so hot except one).

We can't move the a/c here yet because the twits had it installed in the wall here so we have to take pics first to make them pay for a new wall... Long story short, I'm moving boxes, painting, renovating in this heat with NOTHING!!! (except maybe some short shorts.. :) )

sammiec
June 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Anita... I think I may drop by for a dip too!!

Ah... just the thought of swimming makes me feel a little better! :D

Rick C
June 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
In southern Alberta, we had drought for a bunch of years and two years ago, the thermometer was over 95 farenheit at my house 16 times . . . . so we went to the expense of putting in air conditioning and its been raining and cool ever since, both last year and this year so far!!!

Boo.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

april21h1
June 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM
I dont have A/C in the house and the one for the car is broke. The house usually stays cool, we keep the blinds closed during the day and open the windows at night. We have a fan we use during the day when we are home. It helps that we live near the north shore so we get a cool breeze during the summer. The island usually a few degrees cooler than the mainland even in heat waves.

Lizzie
June 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM
No A/C here....we use good old fashioned fans! We also get quite a bit of air circulation from the open windows..and don't get the afternoon sun....

I like to stay at a moderate temperature anyways. I hate how as soon as it gets hot out, restaurants and stores crank up the A/C and make it unbearably cold! It's so annoying for me :P

Bearsmom
June 13th, 2005, 01:51 PM
We have central air,this is our second unite and I also have a wonderful pool,which enables me to work in my garden etc...a dip in the pool,then some work,another dip and.... :D
Both cars have air too..
Today it's REALLY hot,but I keep my AC on 25C,don't like it too cold...when it is not too hot,I like my windows open AC off,like to hear the birds!!

We're heading to chico2's....be there in about an hour. :)

We don't have central air (YET). Bloody thing is very expensive, and I hate the idea of financing through the gas co to get it, but it's alarmingly hot in our house (I worry about Robbie sleeping in this heat). Fans are strategically placed, but I don't believe they're doing much good.

Also I'm blessed with EXTREMELY fuzzy hair. I HATE humidity.

chico2
June 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Well guys,come on over :D
I refuse to spend my summer inside in the cool house,that's where a pool is great...I can be outside all day!
The cats come out with me in bouts,Rocky prefers to stay inside...which is a good thing!

Princesss04
June 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM
:D :highfive: We have air and I would not have it any other way!~

BeagleMum
June 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
We have central air, got it installed when we built the house. Couldn't live without it in this humidity, my asthma would be crazy.

doggy lover
June 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Central all the way, air in truck, work and my husband is taking a window one up to the cottage. This week has been unbearale, Tucker doesn't even want to go out, so I take him in the evening just before dark. I hate the heat, I'd rather it be cold and wear more clothes.

heidiho
June 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I live in Phoenix we all have air.............. :evil: :usa:

glasslass
June 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Gotta have air in Calif! Central air in the house and at work, and in the vehicles it's a must! Our house is for sale right now and I make sure it's nice and cool when people come in. I think we've sold it. Got an offer Sunday and we're going through the counter offers right now. But it looks good!

heidiho
June 14th, 2005, 07:37 PM
What part of cal????I know San Diego is always perfect...............

glasslass
June 14th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Central Valley - Modesto

chico2
June 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Well,we finally got some relief...it's cooler outside,I threw all my windows open,turned off the air..wonderful!!
Now we have to tackle everything that was not done this week,cut grass,trim hedges etc....everything grew like crazy!!

Copper'sMom
June 15th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I'm glad I didn't put in my air conditioner after all - for now!!!

Eleni
June 15th, 2005, 09:59 AM
there is a beautiful breeze coming in my windows today YAY we needed some nice weater!

and a break from that heat

Eleni

doggy lover
June 15th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I have a funny feeling that this is going to be a hot summer though, but its nice now yeah hoo

heidiho
June 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
It Was About 102 Here Last Night At 7:00,this Morning By 7:30 Am It Was 84..it Is Gonna Be At Hot One Here This Summer

maddoxies
June 15th, 2005, 11:30 PM
My apt. was closed up for 6 weeks, while I was away. (second story of a house) It was BEYOND oven when I got home. My service came and installed my window unit on Monday, so of course, Tues. it turned cool. I was worried about Valentin. The a/c in my car packed it in. It was a long, hot drive last Sat from Toronto to Montreal. He is a long haired doxie and his little tongue was hanging down past his knees. I had frozen two bottles of water, and put them in his crate, (one at a time). He liked snuggling up to the cold bottle and licking the condensing water from the outside of the bottle. But they thawed way too soon, long before we were home. I stopped at every Petsmart, Petcetera, PetValu, etc on our route home. It was the only air conditioned place (pet stores) I could think of to take Valentin to cool off.

I have my one window unit, a dehumidifier and ceiling fans. Life is tolerable. Can't wait to get back to Toronto and that air conditioned hotel suite for the rest of the summer. Cool air and someone else pays the electric bill :thumbs up

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 01:44 AM
YEY!! It's so cold here now, I'm wearing a sweater. It's actually below 20. It's raining so hard. It's great. It actually flooded near our old apartment (l'Acadie circle) and it was exactly the time my man would have been driving through there to go to work. Needless to say we're so glad we moved!!

Writing4Fun
June 16th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Nice and cool here this morning as well. AC is off - windows are wide open - lovely breeze coming through here this AM. :D

doggy lover
June 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I have a thunderstorm going on and I hate storms.