Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Outdoor cat causes fight indoors

Babs57
June 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I've been looking all over for any reference to something like this, and haven't found anything. Last night a neighborhood cat walked up to my front door, which was open. My two cats approached the other side of the door, and the three proceeded to hiss and growl on their opposite sides of the screen. All this is, of course, normal. Things quickly escalated beyond what I ever expected. My two cats suddenly turned on each other in a genuine fight. The older, female cat was more the aggressor in fact. They both were very vicious though. In the meantime, the stranger had trotted away, and the fighting moved through the living room. I had to seperate them, and it took about a half hour before I could let my girl out of the basement without her going after the boy again. Finally, they calmed down, touched noses, and were fine again. Why did they turn against each other so viciously at the presence of an intruder? They get along pretty well normally.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I don't know why they do that, but we have an issue with that as well. The biggest problem is ignorant people who let thier cats run at large in a neighbourhood. The way to stop the issue is to get rid of the cat. Put a note on it's collar, "Next time he's on my property I'm taking him to the pound". It may sound harsh, but personally, I'm tired of cat droppings on my lawn, dug up garden, and expensive screen replacement from my cats and thiers trying to get at each other.

happycats
June 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I have the same problem, and I know how you feel.
My one cat "Jay" is a very sweet loving cat, who gets along great with all the others (I have 5 cats all together) one of which is his brother.

But if Jay sees another cat outside, he lets out this blood curdling scream :eek: (I jump out of my skin when I hear it, especially when I'm sleeping.)
Then Jay will attack the first cat he sees, he goes crazy, fur flies everywhere!! It's been going on for 9 years and we can pretty much calm him down now (as long as we are home,) First stay calm, and talk to the the attacker in a calm voice, (I always chant "it's ok jay" it's ok jay") then I arm myself with pillows and a water bottle (we keep throw pillows all over the house just for this) we try to keep the others away, and we either squirt or distract jay with a pillow, if he goes to attack the others. We follow him around with a pillow and squirt bottle until he calms down (basically when his fur returns to normal, as he usually puffs right up).

I hope this helps, and I know another member here has the same problem with one of her cat's and I am sure she will offer advise as well.

Lissa
June 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM
The biggest problem is ignorant people who let thier cats run at large in a neighbourhood. The way to stop the issue is to get rid of the cat. Put a note on it's collar, "Next time he's on my property I'm taking him to the pound". It may sound harsh, but personally, I'm tired of cat droppings on my lawn, dug up garden, and expensive screen replacement from my cats and thiers trying to get at each other.

OMG, I didn't realize that it could be that much of a problem. But now that I really think about it, I can see why people don't like cats roaming on their property - and since you obviously have a cat(s), I don't even want to think what non-animal people might do to stop a cat from roaming on their property!

It has never bothered me but a few of my neighbours complain at how many cats roam around the neighborhood and upset the birds and soil the gardens. I'm a little worried now, I hate to think that someone would do something evil to stop a cat from roaming on their property. I know most of the cats that visit around my house and none of them wear collars and I doubt very much they have a mircochip so goodness knows what would happen to them if someone dropped them at the pound.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone speak about actively removing a cat from their property, it really caught me off guard. It just seems to common place to watch cats pass through my yard, this has definately put a different perspective on it.

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM
It didn't really bother me either until I started getting routine wake-up calls at 3 am to blood-curdling cat screams. Since we got Daisy, though, cats don't come around much. I still think it is rude and inconsiderate to others in the neighbourhood, but I'd only resort to that if it became a problem.

Shamrock
June 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Wow, what a shocking turn of events for you! I've heard of this before, and believe its a form of misdirected aggression that cats will sometimes display.

I've not had exactly the same thing, but one example of this I have witnessed:
One of my cats (persian) hates to be groomed and gets into quite a bad mood.
When I am done and put her down - she sometimes will suddenly rush over and swat the dog a few times. Like its HIS fault!

Babs57
June 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the responses folks! Shamrock, I love your story. Now THAT'S a cat! I normally don't mind the neighborhood roamers either. If I'm outside I'll stop and chat with one or the other if they come by. Displaced aggression makes sense, though I've never seen such a violent reaction from my two. Perhaps it was because this guy was very vocal. I guess I have to keep my eyes peeled from now on.

mrjohndoe
June 10th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Guess I'm a lucky one. With all the healthy strays around here (due to an abundant rat population) we have a visitor or two almost every night. Sporticus meows like he wants to go out and play. A little niave but cute nonetheless.

chico2
June 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM
This is not uncommon,the indoor cat will take his anger and frustration over not being able to get to the intruder,out on another cat inside,or in my case ME.Twice I've been in the EMS because of catbites!!
Rocky is normally the sweetest,calmest cat,but another cat in his yard,makes him into a tiger...my other two don't bother,they just look.
I always have a spray-bottle with water handy,just in case and shoo away any strange cat outside,unless he is sick or wounded.