Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezing cat

SQUEEKER
June 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I have two cats that I recently had broarded. Both came home sneezing. I took the one feeling the worst to the vet. Vet said it was allergies. Got an allergy shot and antibotics for both cats. Cat that I took to the vet first seems to be getting well. Took second cat to vet he got a shot and another round of antibotics. Second cat is still sneezing alot. He is still eating and drinking though. Neither cat has had allergies before until they came home from boarding. Any advice

Karin
June 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Ride it out and keep the vet phone # handy. As long as they eat, drink and nasal discharge is clear...add alot of pampering too. Boarding your pet exposes them to every nasty that other boarders bring in too. A good immunity system is also a good start.

Lucky Rescue
June 10th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I have never heard of allergies in animals manifested by sneezing....?

Boarding causes stress, which lowers the immune system, and cats are very susceptible to rhinotracheitis which is similiar to a cold in humans.

As long as discharge from eyes and nose is not green (which would signal a secondary infection treatable with antibiotics), I would do nothing since antibiotics don't cure a virus.

Shaykeija
June 10th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Piper has that cold bug also. Took him to the vet for a check up and he said Piper was healthy and it would run it's course. He eats and drinks and plays so he is getting better. No green crud comming out of him. Is it just me or are we seeing a lot more of this cat virus? :confused:

april21h1
June 11th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I would always take a cat to the vet to see what was causing the sneezing.
I took Fu to the vet about his almost daily sneezing, he is healthy as a horse.
The vet told us it is allergies to something in the house. I try to dust every couple of days and it seems to help him some. But he likes to get into everything so he does have some good sneezing fits. I always check to see if there is any discharge from nose and eyes.