Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FYI Just a note.

mrjohndoe
June 10th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Maybe this has already been posted but, I thought I would pass it along while still in my thoughts.

My mother's kitty "Ralph" is 21 pounds; not fat, big lean mouser. Last fall he got a severe flea infestation and my mother tried one of the liquid flea treatments, the kind you put on the back of the neck. To no avail this didn't work.

She ended up at the vet and the vet used the small dog treatment. According to him it is perfectly safe.

So, anyone out there with a big kitty check with your vet first but, nice to know I thought. :fingerscr

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Yes please always check with your vet!!!

Having four cats and treating them for fleas with Advantage(or whatever other treatments there are), our vet gives us the medium or large tubes for dogs and we divide that among the four cats. It saves us some money! Luckily, I haven't had a flea problem in a few years!

Karin
June 10th, 2005, 02:06 PM
This has worked for along time. Some vet's will not tell you about using one tube of Frontline/Advantage (large) on a multitude pet household because it cuts into their profit.

However, some people think they can do the same thing with grocery store product's..Biospot is one. The canine brand can kill a cat if applied. I have seen this too many times to count and it breaks my heart. Explaining to the owner is so hard...

Use due care and remind people this can not be done with otc flea treatments.

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Good point Karin about the otc products. I wouldn't dare try that with them!