Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ewww ewww ewww Odin licked a dead decomposing bird!!

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Should I be worried?? odin licked a dead mushy gucky bird that was covered in flies!!! EWWWW

Dogastrophe
June 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
mmmmm, the old sidewalk cafe. :p Seriously though, one lick shouldn't be too terrible; just keep an eye on him for the next little bit for any changes. At one point during the winter I thought Lucy was walking with a stick in her mouth. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the 'stick' was actually a frozen squirrel. That was a fun extraction. yummy yummy.

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 11:36 AM
it was actually quite a few licks. I wasn't walking him, BF was. BF thought he was smelling something, then saw the dead bird...it was under a tree I think. Ewww..

Trinitie
June 10th, 2005, 04:02 PM
You'd be surprised what a dog will find tasty. :yuck: :yuck:

I wouldn't think that it would do him any harm, unless he actually ate the bird. :yuck: :yuck:

Keep an eye on his eating habits, and if you notice anything off about that, then I would call the vet. Until then, just chalk it up to keeping a closer eye on what he's licking. :yuck: :yuck: :sick:

Luba
June 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
HA HA HA HA HA I"m rolling around laughing.

My girl actually ATE a bird a few months ago and a foster I had she CAUGHT a bird midflight and chomped on it running around like a maniac She also dug up a RIP bird and ate that.

They will do just about anything especially the 'rubbing and rolling around' in the 'icky' things they sniff out in the grass.

kandy
June 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I've heard of dogs eating much worse - I know quite a few dogs that have eaten gross fish parts that people leave on the lakeshore after they have gutted their fish, none of them died as a result! LOL Although that wouldn't be my choice of a breath mint - I doubt if it'll have any lasting effects. :o

Prin
June 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Jemma ROLLS in the dead birds. Lovely. :)

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Jemma ROLLS in the dead birds. Lovely. :)

so does sam :yuck:

Safyre
June 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
where are you guys finding all your dead birds? wow. lol i've never come across a dead bird walking Justice!

Luba
June 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Want me to send ya one or two.... :p

kandy
June 11th, 2005, 01:57 PM
My coyote could catch birds - and did quite often. I think that she didn't like that they stole her dog food. She taught the corgi x how to do it, but Boon was never very good at catching them. I've never had any bird feeders in my backyard because I didn't want Sheena to think I had created an attraction just for her to practice her skills. :p I checked the yard every day for dead birds so that I could get rid of them before they got really nasty. Hazel watches the birds and tries to do super sneaks on them, but she doesn't even get close! Hopefully, she never will! I always felt really bad when I'd find em in the yard cuz I knew that they didn't die of natural causes!

goldenblaze
June 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Want me to send ya one or two.... :p

LOL too funny ! :D