Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Topless Toronto? Somebody please clear this up.....

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I had an interesting conversation with someone I was introduced to today.
It went something like this:

"So, you're from Canada...."
- Yes
"Toronto area, by chance?"
- Yes, actually. I was born near there, but I lived in Toronto as well.
"So! You're used to running around topless, then!"
- Excuse me?
"Well you know, they passed a law in Toronto that says women can run around topless there...."
-Uh....I'm not aware of that....
"It's true! My cousin used to live there, but his wife made him move them outta there when they passed that law."
-Oh....well.......that must have been long after I left.....

Alright, was this guy fulla malarkey?

I emailed my brother (he is in Keswick) and my niece (Napanee) to ask them, but I haven't heard anything back yet. They aren't the greatest about checking their email.

You all aren't sitting around topless, posting about your pets' bowel habits, are you?

I sure didn't imagine it that way, anyway.....

jackieb
June 10th, 2005, 06:39 AM
we got told the same everyone at dhs work reckons you can go topless as a women around here in Cambrigde.

twodogsandacat
June 10th, 2005, 06:50 AM
I don't think a new law was passed only a charge was overturned making the exisiting law unenforceable. Search on Gwen Jacobs.

happycats
June 10th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Yes they did change the law, It is "not" illegal anymore for woman to go topless :)
A woman (don't remember where in Ont she was from) was charged for going topless,(indecent exposure) so she challenged the law, and got plenty of press coverage, and WON. So now we can go topless. (not that I ever would :eek: ).

When the law was first passed, I did see a few topless women, but I guess like everything, the novelty wore off, and I haven't seen many since.

So all you people, planning on visiting to see a bunch of topless women (don't hold your breath) :p

twodogsandacat
June 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM
............A woman (don't remember where in Ont she was from) was charged for going topless,(indecent exposure) so she challenged the law, and got plenty of press coverage, and WON. ..................So all you people, planning on visiting to see a bunch of topless women (don't hold your breath) :p

It was in Guelph Ontario.

I can back HappyCats up on the don't hold your breath statement. I would of noticed.

Beaglemom
June 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Yes, women can go topless. It basically started with the woman saying that if a man can go topless why not a woman? And went from there until the law changed. But, you very rarily see a woman walking downtown Toronto topless! They usually leave it to their backyards or to the beaches while tanning.

Eleni
June 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
would mke breastfeeding easier hehe

*ducks the tomatoes*

after three kids no one wants to see whats under my top anhow.

but hey nudity is supposed to be a beautiful thing right.

maybe people will be more accepting of their bodies, if it becomes more common to be open about it

that said my top will stay on this summer

Eleni

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 10:21 AM
It's all of Ontario, not just Toronto (I don't know if that was said). But it's only the ones no one wants to see. Personally, I don't think anyone should be topless, except at the beach. I really don't need to see some guy walking down the street without his shirt on, especially since they usually look like Chewbacca.

I was thinking, however, of developing a shirt for woman who felt, uh, inadequate. You know those magnifier stick ons they put in the back windows of vans so you can see everything behind you? I was thinking of sewing those in the chests of T-shirts.

Oh, and if someone really did move out because of it...wow, get a grip.

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I was thinking, however, of developing a shirt for woman who felt, uh, inadequate. You know those magnifier stick ons they put in the back windows of vans so you can see everything behind you? I was thinking of sewing those in the chests of T-shirts.

:evil: Wise guy!! Personally, I wouldn't buy one of your shirts!! Bikinni top..........maybe!

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I usually only see topless woman on the beach down on the toronto islands, and sometimes ashbridges bay. A woman in the townhouses below my building goes topless on weekends while suntanning.

If I had a yard I probably would go out topless...not worry about tan lines.

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM
:evil: Wise guy!! Personally, I wouldn't buy one of your shirts!! Bikinni top..........maybe!

If successful, maybe I'll branch out into speedo's! (for men) (do I need to add that?) (I think I just crossed a line...)

Loki
June 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM
If I remember correctly, when it first happened there were a few news stations that blew it way out of proportion. Showing a topless woman was suddenly "news" so a few went out of their way to have something to show.

There was a short period, in Toronto, when a few of the adult clubs would send the dancers outside, where they were visible to the passing cars, to "sunbathe." The media would run over with their cameras, to make sure that this urgent news was captured for the 6:00 broadcast( no really, it's news - has nothing to do with ratings).

I guess someone seeing those broadcasts might assume that it is a common occurrance, but it isn't. Once the law was changed, the media lost interest and the adult clubs( I think) were legally stopped from exploiting it.

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
If successful, maybe I'll branch out into speedo's! (for men) (do I need to add that?) (I think I just crossed a line...)

NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO!!!!!!!

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Wow! Thanks, everyone. I had no idea.

I wonder how many people moved TO Toronto, expecting to see a flood of topless hotties all over the city.

Schwinn- I hate to say it, but I know more men who feel "inadequate" than women.....perhaps you can market your idea for men's jeans? LOL. Just be sure you don't include the warning that is often on the car mirrors: "Objects in mirror may be smaller than they appear" :D .
And just one more thing: There should be a law against Speedos!

Eleni, your post literally made me laugh out loud! No tomato throwing here!

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Schwinn- I hate to say it, but I know more men who feel "inadequate" than women.....perhaps you can market your idea for men's jeans? LOL. Just be sure you don't include the warning that is often on the car mirrors: "Objects in mirror may be smaller than they appear" :D .

Socks...not just for feet!

If we'd all just wear over-sized fleece, we'd all be a little less self-concious.

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM

LOL Good one CF!!

Luvmypit
June 10th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I see a couple every year. SO it does happen but to think that we all just walk around like that will certainly be a disapointment. I have only ever seen people topless at the beach and even some in some parks. But not ever just walking around nonchalently.

Prin
June 10th, 2005, 08:09 PM
The way I see it is if 60 year old fat men with double D boobs can walk around topless, why shouldn't women be allowed to? Boobs look WAY better on women than on men, but for some reason, going out in public without your "bro" on is legal... DOWN with double standards!!!

I'd do it. Just as soon as my 6-pack is ready... :D