Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie Sezures

SmokeyMan
June 10th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I have a 7 year old Terrier mix, I've had him for 3 years. He has sezures right around the 25th of each month. He'll have 1 bad one then 4 to 6 hours later he'll have another one. Last night he had them starting at 11pm
by 1 am he had 16, we don't know why, he take phenobarb. He's been at the vets office sense 1 am, Please help with any suggestion.

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Oh, your poor baby :sad: .

I'm afraid I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what you two are going through. Hopefully the vet will get things straightened out.

Please let us know what happens.

In the meantime, you might want to send a pm to the gal who posted this thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15799

She claims to have used an effective herbal remedy for seizures her dog was having.

justncase
June 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM
When a did a search on phenobarb - it can cause temporal lobe seizures.

losinsusan
June 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I think when they continue to have them in a group its called clustering. I was told that they give a tranquillizer to stop that when they have the first one. No clue if that is done while on the pheno though. Our dog has only had two in his eight years but after the first one, they sent us home with a valium type pill to use if he had another to prevent the cluster effect. Look into cluster seizures. I heard you have to prevent the clusters because they might not come out of them at all. Best wishes to you and your pet.

Invicta
June 11th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I've been living with an epileptic dog for 5 years now. She is on a combination of phenobarb and potassium bromide.

Over the years I have found this site http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/ to be an incredibly helpful source of information. Their K9 listserve is also full of understanding people going through the same thing. There are other ways to help your dog through his seizures, both herbal and conventional.

I also found that reducing my dogs stress levels helped reduce her seizures quite a bit.

Hope all is well.

Karin
June 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I think when they continue to have them in a group its called clustering. I was told that they give a tranquillizer to stop that when they have the first one. No clue if that is done while on the pheno though. Our dog has only had two in his eight years but after the first one, they sent us home with a valium type pill to use if he had another to prevent the cluster effect. Look into cluster seizures. I heard you have to prevent the clusters because they might not come out of them at all. Best wishes to you and your pet.

Cluster seizures are dangerous, the brain is miss-firing and all the can be done is diazepam injections iv very often. I have seen rapid seizuring as many as 30 times within an hour...this is when you have to call it, talk to the owners and give the option for euthanasia or take them home, make the dog comfortable and give them drugs for home administration. Many opt for the latter, it gives them time for good byes.

On another note, it is not unusual for a dog to seizure once or twice in their lifetime and no medication is called for in these cases. Only when the seizures persist. Phenbarbitol is not an evil ogre drug. Once a dog is regulated they can live a happy, normal life. (With regular blood test for liver/kidney function)