Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Cost of Films And When to See Them

Shamrock
June 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I guess as I recall a time when they were really such cheap entertainment, I find movie prices today to be fairly expensive. (and the snacks!) :sick:

Here its $10.95 in theatres for first run films - probably an average price overall.
Do you find movies a reasonable and fair cost today? I suppose considering the price of some other entertainment offerings - they are.
We have a couple of discount theaters - $4 for second run films and only $2.50 on Tues, but I seldom ever bother with these. By the time they hit these places, I have lost interest in seeing them or will just wait till they are released on DVD.

Do you like to be among the very first to see a new release - one that everyone is talking about? Or prefer to just wait and see it at home?

JDG
June 9th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Colin and I love going to films! We go once a week!

We go to Famous Players - with airmiles certificates (buy one get one free). . . . so its about 6 bucks for a new new release. Which is good value!

We see all the worthwhile new releases on the big screen . . . .

We also buy a ton of DVD too though,. . . .

iRONKNiGHT
June 10th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I used to go to the movies a lot.. and i mean a LOT! now i just rent DVD's.. over 10 a week..also my DVD Collection is Hugh.. not as many as JDG but getting there ;) close too 200... for sure.. so beware JDG i'm catching up :)

LavenderRott
June 10th, 2005, 12:15 AM
OK, with 3 kids money is pretty tight so going to the movies is a rarity. I used to have a Blockbuster (major chain video store) deal where for like $30 I could rent all the movies I wanted in a month.

Now, if you want to talk movie collections - I have probably close to 500 VHS movies. I have 95 DVD's not including the LOTR extendeds or any of the other kids movies.

We did see Star Wars Revenge of the Sith the weekend it came out. Tomorrow night there is a kid's movie on the agenda - either The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl or Madagascar. There will be a grown up movie later in the week too.

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 01:28 AM
It's not so much the cost of the tickets, but the cost of the lousy popcorn and soda pops that kill me! Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

JDG
June 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Not as many as JDG but getting there ;) close too 200... for sure.. so beware JDG i'm catching up :)

We went to Walmart last night and bought two more. . . ha ha. . .your take over plan has been twarted. . .at least for now!

JDG
June 10th, 2005, 08:17 AM
It's not so much the cost of the tickets, but the cost of the lousy popcorn and soda pops that kill me! Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

I guess I'll admit that Colin and I are cheapos when it comes to going to the movie. . . we bring our own snacks!. .. .shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell. . .
Thats why I have such a big handbag!

Writing4Fun
June 10th, 2005, 08:49 AM
A movie has to be reeaaaallllyyyyy great for me to pay to see it in a theatre. There's also babysitting to consider. Luckily, my sister will watch the kids if there's something I want to go see, but then it's usually something she wants to see as well, and I hate making her miss out on it to watch my kids just so I can go see it. :o

We do go to the drive-in at least once a year. That's a great option for people with kids. At our drive-in, kids are free, and the dog is allowed to come as well. We bring all our own food & drinks, so that makes it even more worthwhile. The only problem is if it's raining or if it's a movie shot mainly at night (I'd hate to have to watch Start Wars at a drive-in!). Our next planned outing is to see Madagascar, that should be a lot of fun at the drive-in. :D Now all we have to do is get a week-end off for hubby... :rolleyes:

april21h1
June 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Movies here cost $10 for the weekend and $7.50 for matentees (SP) and through the week. I can get coupons through my work so that it makes it less expensive.
I love going to the drive-in, but with my BF working away this summer I doubt that we will be going.

Schwinn
June 10th, 2005, 09:26 AM
We only go to movies if it's one you HAVE to see on the big screen (Star Wars, Matrix). It's stupid expensive. If we have gift certificates, which we get from time to time, then we do go, because we do enjoy going out. I have a buddy who hasn't been to a theatre in years, but then his home theatre kicks the butt of 99% of any theatre I've been in. Nicer screen, better sound. We used to go to the drive-in all the time, $10 for two movies. But then, as was mentioned, you have to be careful it isn't a "dark" movie.

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM
In only see a movie if it's one that HAS to be seen on a big screen for the effect.

I actually have three catagories:
movies that have to be seen in the theatre
movies I wait for on rental
movies I wait to come on TV

I just saw the Ring on TV. Never had an urge to see it unless it was free. It was ok..not great.

Movies here are $9.95 no matter when you go (no diff on tuesdays or matinees).

I bring my own food too...why pay??

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Movie tickets here just went up to seven bucks. Afternoon showings are five dollars, I believe. People are outraged.

And JDG....I've brought in a large handbag, too.... ;).

I like horror movies on the big screen- and at night. It sets the mood, I think. I don't like walking out of a dark theater, after watching a dark scary movie.....and being accosted by the SUDDEN GLARE of the afternoon sun, and the bustle of the day. It's an uncomfortable adjustment.

There are movies that I've rented (I do rent a lot) that I wish I'd seen on the big screen. Usually ones with great effects, atmosphere- or perhaps a rather delicious actor who would look much better swinging that hammer (shirtless) in larger-than-life dimensions......

But I definitely appreciate being able to sack out on my own bed, pause the film when I need to use the facilities, rewind if I didn't understand something that was just said- and NO NOISY CHILDREN or people kicking the seats!

Writing4Fun
June 10th, 2005, 01:53 PM
There are movies that I've rented (I do rent a lot) that I wish I'd seen on the big screen. Usually ones with great effects, atmosphere- or perhaps a rather delicious actor who would look much better swinging that hammer (shirtless) in larger-than-life dimensions......
Ooohhhhh......do you have anyone in particular in mind?? :p

Cactus Flower
June 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
LOL Writing4Fun.

It was a Mickey Rourke movie (can't remember the name). But it sure did give the "pause" and "slow motion" buttons a sense of purpose.....

Shamrock
June 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Guess I am a bit ticked off and sulking since Famous Players did away with all reduced adult prices ( daytime and Tuesdays) and went for a straight price of eleven bucks. (they call it 10.95)
I love a movie on a rainy afternoon, my favourite time. And the fact of saving a few bucks was a nice bonus. (helped pay for the overpriced snacks)

But, it doesnt stop me from going. Some films are just MEANT for the big screen, and its not the same otherwise.( cant think of one at the moment) :confused:

Its all relative - entertainment costs rise along with everything.
The last music concert I attended ( Elton John) tickets were ninety bucks apiece.

And, I must consider too - when I smoked, I forked out over eight bucks a DAY, and apparently THAT was ok.

Funny... one of the downsides of going to movies then - couldnt smoke for a whole ninety minutes! Puffing all the way to the door. :rolleyes:what a slave.. haha!

Now, sitting in a theatre, I can pick up the smell of cigarette smoke like a bloodhound. ( and it stinks) :D

nymph
June 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM
I buy discount movie passes from our company @ $8/per, to a local AMC, and I too bring my own snacks. :evil:

Prin
June 10th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I redeem my accumulated "points" from various places for movie tickets. Otherwise we never go. The two of us with popcorn is more than my monthly phone bill, and I would rather have a phone. (yey student life)