Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PAINFUL POOPS all her life -- please help my poor girl!

ashleedawg
June 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I have a 6-yr old Sheltie X Collie spayed female named Ashlee. I'm had her since she was a month old and she has always had this problem:

About half the times that she poops, she screams and squeals as if she's being stabbed with a knife. You can hear it blocks away. This lasts for twenty seconds or so until she's done, and then she's happy and hyperactive. It sounds so horrible that people have accused me of beating her.

I've taken her to the vet repeatedly for this but to no avail. They did a manual exam but couldn't find any problems, and she had her anal glands drained a couple times, but none of this made any difference.

Her stool is always quite dry. I feed her good food (Nutro Natural) and have tried adding cod liver oil to her food but again it makes no difference. I've also added bran (Fibre One cereal) to her food for long periods, no go.

Any suggestions? I hate dealing with this subject but I feel so bad for my girl and the vet here is out of ideas too!

Thanks,

--Rob

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin to her food and make sure she drinks enough water. Dry, hard stools are painful to pass. If your vet is at a loss for explaination, find one that can.

toby's tracy
June 9th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Dry, hard stools are painful to pass. If your vet is at a loss for explaination, find one that can.

No kidding! My thoughts exactly. When I read the original posting I thought it sounded like a fissure. That's a tiny tear in one of the creases of the rectum (I think that is the proper place, in any case - 'up there'). It only hurts when passing a stool since that is the only time those creases get fully stretched out...

ashleedawg
June 10th, 2005, 12:22 AM
...sounded like a fissure....

Your description would match the symptoms exactly, but wouldn't that have become either more or less of a problem after six years?

That's what baffles me, is that she's in perfect health besides this. I figured it would eventually go away, or eventually get worse and require surgery. But it's stayed the same since day one, through everything I've tried.

Also I'd love to try multiple vets but they're SO dang expensive... :-(

BadBrucey
June 10th, 2005, 12:54 AM
I know a girl at work who takes X-lax to soften her own stools. :eek: Don't know if it would be good for dogs though.

toby's tracy
June 10th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby's tracy
...sounded like a fissure....

Your description would match the symptoms exactly, but wouldn't that have become either more or less of a problem after six years?

Actually, from what I know about human fissures, they can stay quite consistent over a long period of time!

Good luck with this. I would bring my dog to a new vet, tell him or her the dog's history, and then ask about fissures, exlax, etc...

The poor little pooch! :pawprint:

Trinitie
June 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM
You may also want to try mixing in some can food with the dry. Some animals don't drink nearly enough water, and adding canned food can increase the amount of moisture in the diet.

I agree with the others too, about finding a new vet. I know of no (good) vets that will simply accept that an animal is in pain when it has a movement.

kandy
June 10th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I agree that I would have the poor guy looked at by another vet. Something has to be causing this - and if it is hard stools then I think the others had some really good suggestions. Good Luck!

Daniac
June 10th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I would ask your vet if it's possibly a Perianal Fistula.

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/GI%20disorders/perianal%20fistula.htm

I hope you can come to a solution for your poor baby's sake. Maybe you could add some yoghurt or salmon oil to her diet to try and loosen her stools.

ashleedawg
June 14th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Thanks All,

I'll definitely try both the canned pumpkin and the canned food with her. Maybe it is just that she doesn't drink enough water. I was always under the impression that canned food was generally bad for dogs but I guess as she's in perfect health otherwise, and now 6 years old, she deserves to be spoiled!

...and anything to try to stop her agony, even if it is only for a couple minutes a day...

I'll let ya know what happens...