Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mean Creek

Shamrock
June 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I just watched Mean Creek (2004) last night, and would rate as a real standout - nine/ten.
It's a fairly short, independent film that examines bullying, and the complex causes. But, on a deeper level it explores much more: How each individual reacts differently to circumstances and our own moral accountablity for our actions.

The young, mostly unknown cast all are outstanding. The only one who might be familiar is Rory Culkin - excellent as the sweet and sensitive schoolyard victim.
I found the boy who played the bully absolutely brilliant. Portraying the chubby, lonely and socially awkward misfit, he skillfully conveyed the complex layers of the character - a sympathetic vulnerable youth one moment - a vile and repellant mouthpiece lashing out with venom the next.

This is quite a slow paced film -maybe be too slow for some. The story is allowed to unfold without a lot of extra dialogue. The outcome is apparent from almost the beginning.
It's not really entertaining in the "true" sense. but as a thought provoking film with solid performances and a compelling issue, I found Mean Creek memorable.

Talley3000
July 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM
This has been hailed the new 'Stand By Me' as it is very similar.
I adore SBM - I want to see MC