Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Upset Lovebird

RavenBeauty
June 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I need some help.. I have a lovebird at home and recently we adopted a kitten. The cat doesn't really bother much with the bird, but you can tell that the bird is upset.
He's been regurgitating his food all over the place, shreading the newspaper, and last night we let him out for a swim (he loved his birdbath) but he wouldn't go into it. He took a little drink, barely fly across the room to me (he's wings aren't clipped). He always flies straight to me when he's out. Can anyone suggest how to make my lovebird happy again.. I think he feels neglected..
HELP! :confused:

Copper'sMom
June 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Would giving him lots of extra attention help?? Maybe some new toys and treats so he doesn't feel neglected??

RavenBeauty
June 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM
He doesn't take to kindly to new toys, usually gets freaked out for a bit, but I could try that. I haven't found any treats he likes, the only thing besides his food is cucumbers and he always gets some when we have some...

Copper'sMom
June 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
LOL he sounds like a spoiled brat!!! Does he like any fruit? I don't know alot about birds in general, I only have finches and they aren't people-birds!

RavenBeauty
June 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hmmm now I can't remember if he likes fruit. It's been a while since I tried "people" food, he didn't eat much only the cucumber. And he loves it..
Like I said he didn't even come over to say hi and pick at me like he always does. I know he feels neglicted, maybe if we lock up the cat and let him fly around for a bit he'd feel more happy...
Poor Bird, he had it made a year ago... it was only my 6yr old then the baby came and now the cat, the bird is all alone.. I'll try getting another toy for him and see if he likes that

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM
im sure you already know this but lvoebirds are VERY social, they crave attention ive seen.

maybe getting another little lovebird might help, and perhaps having some time in the day thats jsut for you and him?

i know sometimes thats tough, but maybe pick a time and take him into a safe room where the cat cannot go, and whistle and play and do all the things you enjoy with the bird.

i bet ya hes feeling a little put off, birds are very good at showing you when they arent happy about something.

you sounds like a loving owner, what a lucky bird!

oh and if he doesnt have a mirror in his cage maybe getting one might help a tiny bit, i know when my bird is alone i catch her whistling at her reflection in the mirror hehe

Eleni

CyberKitten
June 9th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I don't have any sage wisdom but this reminded me of taking out the cats for a walk and the birds (in the wild) who congregare there just went well, wild. You shoudl have heard the chirping!! They certainly knew there was a feline presence nearby!!

JDG
June 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I think Eleni is right, the bird just wants some more of your attention, I assume the bird got all of it before the kitten came along.

You could get another love bird - but if I'm not mistaken - that is why they are called love birds, because they bond so strong with the other lovebird - they have no time for anyone else, and only have eyes for the other bird!

Your bird might be happier with a little mate - but your relationship with the bird might change if you get a second bird. . .

I had a cockatiel, and I was told from the breeder that birds are relativily quiet, execpt for happy chirping etc - when they swalk and make horrible racket etc its because they can't see the people (they like to be social) or the people are not interacting with them. . .

I think the best solution is simply more interaction - either by yourself, or a new mate. . .

RavenBeauty
June 10th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all your help.. I thought Lovebirds make their own bonds with one another, when we got him he didn't bond with another, I don't know how he would react with a mate. I think a mirror sounds great, and I will take him out more and play with him. He doesn't scwalk as much anymore or anything, I feel bad for him... Maybe I will give him a bath (water bottle) tonight, and just play with him while I lock the cat somewhere else..
HOpefully a bath, mirror and maybe a new toy and some cucumber will make him happier...

I know at the pet store they said once a lovebird makes a bond with another, if the one dies they both die and I couldn't handle that, plus he's been alone now for 3 years... Maybe if we get his wings clipped he will depend more on us, and want to come out and play.

I'll keep you posted.

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Good Luck!!! I hope he finds happiness! :fingerscr