Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blaze will not be declawed...

Blaze01
June 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Well as many of you know I was being forced to declaw my nine month old cat Blaze because my mother was upset about him clawing a pair of her sheers. Well she told me to cancel the appointment I had on Monday!!! She said since I pitched such a fit about it she did some research on line and contacted the Human Society and found out how awful declawing is. I wont be living there much longer (3 months at the least) and we made a agreement that I would pay her back for the sheers.

When I came home last night I heard her in her bedroom talking to someone so I slightly opened her doors she had Blaze sitting on her chest and she was softly singing to him while she petted him. I closed back the door and didnt mention anything...I dont think I will either because she will just deny it. Hopefully Blaze will turn my mom into a cat lover...hopefully...

Lissa
June 9th, 2005, 01:40 PM
What great news! :crazy: I'm sure Blaze will be much happier with his claws then without! It was really down to the wire but I'm glad your Mum came around! And it sounds like she is really falling for Blaze and his charms!!
That was really great news. Thanks for the update!
Melissa

mrjohndoe
June 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Good for you! Great for Blaze!! :)

Wish I had done more research on it before I had it done to Sporticus and Clio. Every time I see their front paws I get overwhelming guilt. Actually, I think it was worse than the spaying and neutering.

Blaze01
June 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I thank god my mom came around...I would feel horriable if i would of gone through with it.

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I am so glad to hear that your mom finally gave in and I am sure blaze is very happy as well! :D

kandy
June 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Great News! I am so glad that Blaze won't have to go through the declawing! Thanks for letting us know! :)

Copper'sMom
June 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Yaaayyyyy!!! :thumbs up

nymph
June 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Yayyyyy! Aren't moms great! So she is in fact not "a little off" but is actually quite reasonable and understanding!

I'm very very happy for Blaze and you, good job! :thumbs up

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
That's wonderful news!! I am so glad your Mom took the time to research it, and changed her mind.
And I hope Blaze turns her into a cat lover too :D

Shamrock
June 9th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Oh,your post has made my day!! :)
That is just fanstastic news! I am so glad that your mom saw things your way, and appears to be bonding more with Blaze. You all benefit from this- most of all Blaze.
I LOVE happy endings!

The best of luck to you and Blaze with your upcoming move, and new beginning. :grouphug:

BeagleMum
June 10th, 2005, 06:49 AM
That's excellent news. I think he might be changing your mother into a cat lover. :)

twodogsandacat
June 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM
It's amazing how cats win over their toughest critics.

Good news on the declawing too.

Trinitie
June 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
That's super news! Always nice to hear a happy ending to things.

I hope you gave your mom a hug and told her what an angel she is! :angel:

LavenderRott
June 10th, 2005, 08:50 AM
That is wonderful!!!!

april21h1
June 10th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I am glad that your mom changed her mind. :)
I hope that Blaze and your mom develop a good relationship so that she sees that cats are great little creatures.

Rita
June 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
That is GREAT news!!!! :crazy:
I know that the whole ordeal was very difficult for you so I am so glad that your Mother did some research of her own and came to the right decision in the end :thumbs up
Hurray for Blaze and your Mother :highfive: I hope they become friends :fingerscr

lilith_rizel
June 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Not that I would get a cat declawed, but does anyone have a link to information. I am just curious of what actually happens. My sister had Morgan and Spooks declawed, and I would like to know what they went through, as well as let Dannie know about it.

Thanks

Mockingcat
June 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM
http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

There is an explanation of the procedure. The other pages on that site go to alternatives and possible consequences. I'd never have a cat declawed either. I can't imagine cutting off something's appendage because I like my furniture. :(

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/

That website has lots of neat information, including a collection of stories from pet owners who've had their cats declawed. :)

laughingwaters
June 10th, 2005, 03:40 PM
That's wonderful! I'm glad better sense prevailed. Congrats on being such a good advocate for Blaze! :thumbs up

chico2
June 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Blaze01,thank you for the good news :thumbs up

monman
June 11th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but Buster and Salty were declawed last week and suffered no ill effects from the surgery. In fact, 5 days after the surgery they were completely back to normal. They didn't seem to be in any pain and use their paws the same way they did before. They are just as affectionate, have had no bathroom accidents and do not bite.

So, rather than going onto one of the thousands of anti-declawing sites, I suggest that you visit some sites that are unbiased and show the other side of the story.

The fact is, some cats just cannot be trained to use a scratching post.

chico2
June 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Yes,lets hear from the other side,lets ask the cats!

Mockingcat
June 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Monman, not all effects can be immediate. I'm currently caring for my mother-in-law's cat while she is on vacation. She was found under their house, and she'd been declawed. She has horrible arthritis. Her vet says that it's due to the declaw. She believes this because the areas that Seegee has arthritis in are not common to cats who have claws, but are common in cats that have been declawed, due to their change in posture.

I'm very glad that your kitties are alright, but I've seen so many that aren't (including infections, amputations, and aggressiveness) that I would never willingly put my furbaby through that. If it came down to it, I would rather rehome him with someone who could keep his claws. :) I cannot let the state of a possession such a furniture override the wellbeing of my animals.

As my boyfriend says, "If we wanted nice things, we wouldn't have pets. ;)"

WhKnight
June 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM
There's a wonderful book by Dr. Nicholas Dodman, called "The Cat Who Cried for Help," that I read about 6 months ago. He is a very strong advocate against declawing (and after I read about the procedure in his book, I don't think I could do it to any of my cats again), and he talks in one chapter, "The Rebel Without Claws," about a new solution called "Soft Paws." He describes them as soft plastic caps that are glued onto the cat's claws; he likes them primarily because you avoid the declawing and also because "your cat can still enjoy a good well-anchored stretch and some undetectable, scent-marking behavior." And he's also a proponent of a good, well-secured scratching post.

Should that day come when my current girls leave me, I think I'll check into the alternatives.

Linda

Blaze01
June 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Softpaws are wonderful and are mainy the reason Blaze is not getting declawed. I used them the whole time I have been living with my mom but she didnt beleive they worked...they fall off about every two weeks and when one fell off that is when Blaze attacked her sheers.

amber416
June 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM

so what? guess i'm missing your point.... :confused: . Cats have claws, they scratch. End of story. If you can't stand the thought of clawed up furniture, or whatever other precious thing the cat could be ruining, you don't get a cat. Simple as that.

Blaze, i'm glad to hear there is a happy ending to your story! :thumbs up

ladyredspider
June 13th, 2005, 04:48 PM
That's awesome! I'm glad your mom caved in and changed her mind. I just wish my husband would do the same - he's more concerned about our carpet than putting a cat though that horriblness. We've done the softpaws thing and it worked for one cat. The other cat just didn't take to them and she would chew her paws raw to get them off. Softpaws are still worth a try.

Blaze01
June 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the concern guys!

mrjohndoe
June 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but Buster and Salty were declawed last week and suffered no ill effects from the surgery. In fact, 5 days after the surgery they were completely back to normal. They didn't seem to be in any pain and use their paws the same way they did before. They are just as affectionate, have had no bathroom accidents and do not bite.

Obviously you waited and hopefully made a well informed choice.

Where I live it is common for vets to suggest declawing at the same time as neutering/spaying in order to minimize stress, etc.

For me personally I wish I had waited. Yes, they were clawing at the furniture as kitties do. However, we all know the effect that spaying/neutering can have an animal and changes in behaviour.

I agree. That's why we need to start training them when they are young.

monman
June 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Thank you for being so reasonable. I only wish the best for my kittens and shower them with love, make sure they're healthy and keep them happy. I made a timely and well informed decision and wasn't swayed by eager vets. It wasn't an easy decision, but I truly believe it was the right one. They're just as happy as they were before and i will continue to make sure they grow up into healthy cats.

I got them when they were 6 weeks old and started trying to train them very early. They would not respond to any discipline. This was the alternative I chose, and although I know many feel strongly about declawing, I think most of them are too easily swayed by the horror stories rather than researching the pros and cons themselves.

Obviously you waited and hopefully made a well informed choice.

Where I live it is common for vets to suggest declawing at the same time as neutering/spaying in order to minimize stress, etc.

For me personally I wish I had waited. Yes, they were clawing at the furniture as kitties do. However, we all know the effect that spaying/neutering can have an animal and changes in behaviour.

I agree. That's why we need to start training them when they are young.

Mockingcat
June 16th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Some of us are unfortunately swayed by the horror stories that we have witnessed first hand, and wish to save others some heartache.

chico2
June 17th, 2005, 06:50 AM
I do not need horrorstories,declawing would NEVER enter my mind,logic and common sense tells me,if I feel a need to amputate my cats toes,I should not have a cat...