Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dogs unusual eating habit

tiggersmom
June 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have any sugestions to stop my Beagle from eating out of the cat liter box. We have tried a hooded box (she gets the top off). This bad habit only started when the vet put her on a diet (she is overweight).

SarahLynn123
June 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
We have that problem to along with eating the cats food. We have a babygate up blocking off the computer room. No dogs allowed! The cat can easily jump it to get to get to his food and box and the dogs watch from behind the gate. Worked like a charm for us. We also have a litter box on top of the deep freeze in the basement, the cat is easily able to jump up there and the dogs gave up along time ago when they didn't even come close!!!
Hope this helps
Sarah

Dogastrophe
June 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Sometimes it is easier to change the surroundings than it is the behaviour. If you have a place to elevate the litter box (and your cat won't mind it being moved) that will fix the problem (but won't cure it).

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
The good ol litter fritter buffet.

Beaglemom
June 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Tiggersmom, that sounds just like my beagle, Misty! Misty started to be very food aggressive and started to eat anything in sight, including the kitty's litter soon after the vet put her on a diet. Ever since then we have had trouble with her.

She is now off her diet and on a much better quality food since she has dropped down to her ideal weight. I'm hoping that will help.

This is what we have done. The litter box is now one of those that is completely enclosed and has a little opening for the cat. Misty can still get to it, so we blocked it off. All of the cat food is out of reach. The cat eats on her own counter. Although, the cat does like Misty and will occasionaly drop little tidbits to her while she eagerly awaits! They are the best of friends.

My grandmother has her cats' litter boxes in her basement and keeps the basement door closed. She had a kitty door cut into the basement door where only the cats can go through and keeps the dogs out of the basement, out of the litter boxes. That is another idea if you can do it.

I've found out the hard way that this behaviour is extremely hard to correct. It is better to block her access.

SnowDancer
June 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
My Beagle, my mini Dachshunds and now my Eskimo were and is obsessed with "helping" keep the litter box clean. My Beagle and my Dachshunds could climb a gate and in the case of Wonder Wiener I - open it. My Eskie just hauls himself over. Doesn't help that the cat weighs 22 lbs. The dog weighs 21 lbs. and the Doxies weighed 10. Nothing we have done short of denying the cat access to the box has helped - except of course shutting her in a room with it. My dogs all have top quality food - supplemented of course by carefuly selected and vet approved human food. They just love the "tootsie rolls" and sadly I must live with it. My Eskie can hear the cat's slightest movement and boy do I have to move fast to try and get their first yelling "cookie" all the way. My cat will also pitch down food into the dog's mouth. I wish you better luck than I have had. Actually when we got our Beagle we didn't have the cat. The Beagle found the cat one cold Nov. night in Ottawa - and immediately started "helping" mommy.