Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Most Common Phrase.....

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
....heard last fall was "Here we go again."

Thanks to Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne.

We are 9 days into our hurricane season and here comes Arlene. She may be only a whimpy TS but it looks like she will force Ciara & I to camp in the office once again this weekend. Direct hit is unlikey but again we find ourselves on the evil NE side of the storm, where the worse of the weather is. Here we go again.

Somebody make it go away.....

Lizzie
June 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Honestly, I could never live in a place like that. I wouldn't be able to tolerate the constant looming of Hurricanes from now til October (or whenever they end).

I've always lived in a pretty moderate environment. Snow in the winter, rain in the spring and heat in the summer. Once in a while we get a good bout of snow and hail...but nothing that tends to cause any sort of evacuation!!

What exactly is the allure if you don't mine my asking...?

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
My sister was in Penasacola, FL last year and was there during IVAN she said stuff is still not cleaned up down there and it is time for more already! I pray that they all miss you and her this year!

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I could never live in a place like that.

What exactly is the allure if you don't mine my asking...?

I am a native, I love it here.

Besides, I'm terrified of earthquakes, floods, blizzards, mudslides,volcanos, droughts and raging fires.

Luba
June 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
LOL @ ur fear list there Karin ;)

Lizzie
June 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I am a native, I love it here.

Besides, I'm terrified of earthquakes, floods, blizzards, mudslides,volcanos, droughts and raging fires.

Fair enough!

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
hope you and your family are safe this hurricane season,

worst case scenario you could always head up to canada for the season :P

Eleni :ca:

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Karin you can always head to Indiana. Meater and CHino will share their beds! And they have plenty of kissess to go around! And the kittens would love someone else to sleep on! :D Our door is always open for ya! :D

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM
hope you and your family are safe this hurricane season,

worst case scenario you could always head up to canada for the season :P

Eleni :ca:

And miss all the fun?....nah!

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Karin you can always head to Indiana. Meater and CHino will share their beds! And they have plenty of kissess to go around! And the kittens would love someone else to sleep on! :D Our door is always open for ya! :D

Thanks for the offer! What sort of natural disasters does Indiana have?

Nothing can top last years hurricane season. I was raised in the keyes, I moved inland to get away from all that and looked what happened....2 weeks without electric in September and damage as far as you can see.
I've heard it all. Florida is now called the "Plywood" state or "Blue Tarp" state.
Our state motto is "Hunker Down"......I have mastered that one!

In October, a couple which had never been to Florida thought all the moss in our trees was seaweed! LMAO ! I guess they pictured huge waves crashing over the entire state!

If you think hurricanes are scarey....you should see how the logging truckers drive here.

Luba
June 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
You can always move to Ontario (Canada) we have 100 degree weather right now :eek: Then move back there in the winter, you can be a young snowbirder!

CyberKitten
June 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Come to the Maritimes - we rarely even have T storms. My parents spend their winters in Fla and their summers here. The only bad weather we can claim is cold winters and lots of snow tho Halifax did have Hurricane Juan almost 2 yrs ago now and it wrecked much havoc, unusual in that by the time a storm of the magnitude reaches here, it has gone down to a cat 1 or a TS. This was at a 3 by the time it made a direct hit. Two fatalities and many ppl had no power for days but that too we are well prepared for given we are used to harsh winters.

NB had an earthquake in 1981 (5.9 on the richter scale) but we have so much forested land that there was no significant damage.

Those are but abberations. The rest of the time, it's just peachy in the summer, lol

My folks are in the Tampa Bay area but their home was spared., They had just put on a new roof which prob helped, they think.

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I guess Indiana would have tornadoes! And some flooding, not where I am at though, that is about it. I mean a thunderstorm here and there but nothing that bad! I know my sister says FLD still looks bad from Ivan! Just find a tree and hang on dear!

Karin
June 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I guess Indiana would have tornadoes! And some flooding, not where I am at though, that is about it. I mean a thunderstorm here and there but nothing that bad! I know my sister says FLD still looks bad from Ivan! Just find a tree and hang on dear!

The first outer band from Frances brought 5 or 6 tornado's ripping through our park....my boss & her husband "hunkered down" in the concrete rec room and lost count. 60' trees were shot like bullets through some of the rv's left here. That was Sat. afternoon & only the beginning. I was on a waiting list for a hotel room and the call came when I was at the vet's stocking up so I was safely tucked away with Ciara for 3 days. (my birthday was that Sunday) Frances and Jeanne both hit on a Gator home game so rooms were booked. I stuck it out in the office during Jeanne.

Trees fly really well btw.

FEMA paid out 31 million $ to residents of Dade County. (Miami). They did not even get a strong breeze! One family collected $4400. for funeral expenses of a relative they claimed died of a heart attack from watching the Weather Channel. FEMA is in the process of collecting all the fraud monies back. What a crock!

South Florida is already getting heavy rains now. By tomorrow this time we will start getting nasty weather too. I believe we will be spared very high winds but 30 mph winds and tornados can be expected....I'll pack a lite bag in the morning, just in case. Ciara's suit case is always bigger.

glasslass
June 9th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I think I'll stay in CA with the earthquakes! I hear that when the big one hits, we'll have beachfront property! :D

Safyre
June 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Watching CBS Coverage, I understand the "Blue Tarp" state. my goodness!

I like it where I am ... ewe get our good share of thunderstorms, being one of the most active lightning areas in canada, and we only get minor earth quakes 3. somethings, no one really feels them, cuz they are out in the lakes :)
Tornadoes... those CAN happen here... but, bah, never do.

Daisy's Owner
June 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Good luck this season Karin.

Ah yes, good ole Hurricaine Juan. Happened the weekend before we got married. What a week that was.

Karin
June 10th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Weather is creeping up the state now that Arlene has moved past Cuba. She is now expected to reach hurricane strength before landfall sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening. A tornado has been spotted over Marathon, my home town & warnings have been issued for Dade/Broward counties. My boyfriend is moving the cattle to a higher pasture to avoid the same problems with standing water from last year.
I packed a lite bag for me and the goofers. The weather is starting to go down hill now but I think it will be mostly a big rain dump and some winds..I plan on staying home now with Ciara unless we get a severe weather warning lasting for more than a few hours. Anytime I have to move Ciara to camp out elsewhere holds the risk of doing further harm to her. I think we will be okie dokie here.

Either way, I will secure the computer and not be on line tomorrow just in case. If I can steal a moment, I will.
FYI...only rarely do you have lightning in a tropical weather system.

Arlene, you whimp...give us your best shot.

Luvmypit
June 10th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Good luck Karin,

I watched CNN with disbelief last year. I felt terrible for you all as it just didn't seem fair.

BE safe!

chico2
June 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Aww Karin,make sure you and Ciara do not blow away,but I see you have a safe place to go :thumbs up
I witnessed first hand what kind of damage a HC can do,1989 Hugo in South Carolina...scary stuff!!! Be careful :love:

Prin
June 10th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Why don't you move to Montreal? We don't have anything in your list... The only "natural disasters" we have here are the HUMIDITY and the potholes... Right now it's 65% humidity here, gone down from 89% humidity (not raining). We actually have the "humidex" now, like wind chill but for humidity. Today it was 29 celcius with a humidex of 37!!! Crazy (that's what, 85 with a humidex of 99!!)

Karin
June 11th, 2005, 06:18 AM
The next update expected in by 7am should bring Arlene to hurricane status, she is located almost due west of here now. The weather is really going down hill fast so I'll catch you all on the flip side...(unplugging the 'puter, better safe than sorry)

Karin
June 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Nothin' but a little wind & rain....a tree limb did take out a transformer and left us without power until it could be replaced but nothing more than the regular summers storms do around here. My brother got it worse in Cocoa Beach, he had minor damage from a tornado before it was even light outside.
Pensacola and Gulf Shores on the other hand....I feel for ya. A friend of mine in the panhandle hasn't even finished her repairs from last year and now she has more water damage.
Arlene actually did the state a favor, the oyster and clam farmers needed this boost in fresh water, they have struggled this past year almost to bankruptcy.

If it wasn't for Ciara, I would not worry at all. Not even for a Cat 3 or better.

chico2
June 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Karin,happy to read you and Ciara are ok....This is Sunday morning and my braincells are not quiet awake :D I was reading your Cat 3...and thinking,hmmm I know Karin does not have 3 cats :D :D but maybe they are strays!!
Anyway,a lightbulb went up and I realized you meant category 3!!!

Prin
June 12th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Not even for a Cat 3 or better. LOL--- or BETTER? I think you're in the right place if you like them strong... :)