- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Mastiff with cough and runny nose -- kennel cough?

June 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Hello everyone. I'm not sure what to do -- looking for advice.

I have recently adopted my brother's 4-year old, neutered, male English Mastiff. He is 120 pounds and gets 3 walks a day in the west Toronto area. I've only had him for 2 weeks, but he's been in the family since he was a puppy. Always in top health.

In the last three weeks, he has had his yearly shots -- including Bortadella (on June 1) and Lepto (June 4). I had to board him at the Vet for two days (Jun3-5). On June 7, during our evening walk, he coughed once or twice (that choaking-type cough). Nothing else in the evening. The next day, while carrying a toy in his mouth (stuffed animal), he had a little cloudy/green mucus coming out of his nose.

Very little coughing over the last couple of days (only when we are outside) and mucus only one other time.

Is this the beginning of kennel cough or just a cold? Should I bring him to the vet this early on or wait and see if the symptoms get worse. If so, how long do I wait? He has only ever been on meds as part of the post-neuter treatment. I don't really want to give him medication unnecessarily...

Any advice appreciated!



June 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I would personally wait until it got worse - if it does. Unless it's bothering him in a big way - him rubbing his nose a lot, coughing up phlegm,..etc. Sounds like a little cold to me. If it wasn't a cold, could it be allergies?

June 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM
It could also possibly be a reaction to the vaccines as well. You may want to speak to your vet to see if a 'trial' dose of benadryl will calm the symptoms. If its vaccine allergy that is what will help it until the reaction goes away. Check the face, eyes and lips for any swelling. Read up on vaccinosis.

June 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

My instinct is wait and see. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary -- no swelling, excessive discharge, constipation, diaherra, etc. -- but I'll keep my eyes open. I will give the vet a call -- they should be able to tell me if he is having a reaction or not. I don't remember any of this being a reaction to Lepto.

Oh, I forgot, they did give him a dose of Advantage... this is a new vet for Max (and for me). His regular vet is in Hamilton, but since he is now living in Toronto, I want to have someone nearby for emergencies/convenience. He will continue to go to his Hamilton vet for annual stuff. Both will be kept in the loop. But I've gone off track...

If things worsen, I will bring him in right away. A mastiff with a runny nose is not a pretty sight!