Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

uv Index

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Does any other mothers check the uv index on sunny days, before their kids go out? I have found myself doing that everyday for the past week! Depending on how high it is, I put on more sun block or if it is past 6, we don't go outside at all. I guess I am just paranoid that way. My grandfather had skin cancer, because he was outside in the sun too much....The crazy thing is, I got a sunblock that protects from UVA and UVB rays, and I still freak out about it if it is too high.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
i do if its moderate or above we stay in

we also tend to go out early morning or late evening to avoid the sun

Eleni

jackieb
June 9th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I have fair skinned children so im careful we try to sty out of the sun at its hottest time. I always have sunblock regually applied i also have a sun tent to protect them and they have to wear hats.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I am glad I wasn't the only one. I was feeling like I was over precautinary. On days it is between 4 and 6, we do go to the park, but sit where it is completly shaddy. There is this one oak tree there that must be a couple hundrend years old. It is huge. Would take 5-6 people holding arms to go around it completly. So that is shere we sit for a couple of hours. I need to be outside, where the sun is, so I can get more vitamin D. My body doesn't keep certain vitamins in like it is supposed to, same way with Iron, I am always low, even if I take iron tablets..... We don't go into the actual sun until about 4pm, when the index is about 3 or 4.... and that is when we go swimming. are only out until 6:30.

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I do not think you are over protective I think that is called being a good mom! :D

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I am happy that Judith's skin color is taking after me. James is VERY fair skinned, and can burn from being outside for 30 minutes. He is stubborn amd doesn't wear sunblock. I actually think he breaks out from it when he sweats though. But after Judith had her second surgery, her skin was more aof a tan color like me. So hopefully she will never burn easily too. I really never burned until I moved here, where it is SO HOT!!! It is only noon and already 85, but there is a very nice breeze, and the forcast thing on my computer says it feels like 77

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I think the weather program I have is wrong, it said it is fully sunny, LOL I see alot of clouds out there!!! Not bad ones. The nice fluffy ones you use to find pictures with..... :D I think I am going to try to find something else too, it also sayss that there has been no rain the past week! YEAH RIGHT. We just had a huge storm 3 days ago. So bad that our power went out. Storm was right above us all night. Neither Judith nor I could sleep that night.....

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I think I get most of the things I watch out for, like the UV index, and stuff, I got from my grandmother. She was the exact same way with me when I would stay at her house..... I'm not at all like my mom.... I take after my dad's side of the family. I mean, my mom is a fantastic mom, but she worries about EVERYTHING! She flipped when she heard that a goose thought Judith was food. First off the goose didn't bite at all, he just put his beak on her foot, to see if it was food. And second of, I got bit 3 or 4 times yesteday by geese, it doesn't hurt. Judith actually loved seeing the goose that close. They usually come to lay under the same tree we sit under. And I think that there is one, that might not be wild. He is the only one that comes right up to people, and Just looks at them. And if you don't give him some sort of attention, and ignore him, he will remind you that he is there.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
UV is at a 6 right now, so I think we will stay in. Besides it is pretty humid out right now. Hopefully by 4 thigs will be better......

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
i don't check UV. from may to september, if the sun is out, the UV will be high, no matter what. Even on cloudy days, the UV is always high (unless it is raining).

I put SPF 15 on daily (it's in my regular lotion) and SPF 30 if I am going outside at all (for more than walking the dog).

For kids, my theory is they should have SPF 30 put on in the morning, at lunch and around 3 pm. If they are swimming, put it on again after swimming.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Judith and I both use SPF 45. I found 60, and was going to get that, but it was twice as much, and at the time I couldn't afford it. Right now, I put an application on 1.5 hours before we leave the house, anand another 45 minured before we leave. So it has alot of time to soak in her skin.It contains 35.5% Zinc Oxide, the highest I could find in the store.....So I think we are all set....Plus I try to keep her in the shade as much as possible. Always have the stroller facing away from the sun, even though we are in the shade.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
hmmmmm... just noticed that the temp has dropped 5 degrees, and the UV index has a 4 now..... I think we are up for another storm tonight :(

Melanie, where do you live, maybe I can talk the storm into moving your way!!!! Because we don't need the rain, and I know that you guys need it so desperatly!!!!! if I could, I would bottle it all up and ship it to ya!!!

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
i ahve spf of 50 for my kids, and the family doctor said that when they are outside I should be re applying ever 30 min, or after they come out of the pool.

seesm excessive but the kids have never been sunburnt. so I trust it

I also keep tyler in the stroller with a sunshade he doesnt ahve much hair on his head and I dont want to risk sunburn on his head

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I know. I am always putting sunblock on Judith. I don't worry about myself too much. I just apply it once, before I go out, and if I feel like my skin is hot, I reapply it, but Judith, she is always in the shade, unless we are swimming, which is only during adult swim time. That is every hour, for 10 minutes. Anr right after I dry her, I reapply the lotion, and again about 15 minutes before adult swim again.....

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
What do you have her where when she is in the pool? Do you use those little swimmers or what? I am sure you know this but please do not let her drink the water! LOL it is so gross! ;) :D :eek:

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
The little swimmers are too big for her yet, I but a plasitc diaper cover over her diaper. ICK if I ever see her trying to drink the water she's in trouble.... :yuck:

I also don't use a regular swimsuit on her, she wears shorts and a t-shirt. Protects her from the sun a bit more.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM
honestly, my son is in a regular diaper in the pool, swimmer diapers leak right thru

i tried them once and my son peed a few minutes before he got into my moms pool and he got me soaked, the swimmer held nothing in

sure the normal diapers soak up about ten lbs of pool water. but id rather theat then worry about him peeing in the pool or worse :yuck:

Eleni