Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pop up blockers

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have one. If so, by who, and does it work. I am contantly getting pop ups, if I leave my homesite (pets ca!) And there was one time that everytime I would close a pop up, 2 more would come. It made my computer CRASH!!!! And it is a brand new computer, not even a year old. So I would like to get a pop up blocker that really does work....

nymph
June 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Start using FireFox! It automatically blocks popups, and it supports tabbed browsing.

Also regularly scan your PC for spyware and virus.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for reminding me about scanning! James woud have my hide if he knew I forgot to do the scan daily. Hasn't been done since he left on the 22nd of last month. OOPS......... I am VERY forgetful..... I will do a full system scan today when we go to the pool...

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox instead of regular internet. It does the same thing but blocks most of everything. I really like it. :D

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM
If you want a good one, download Googles TOOLBAR. It has a pop-up blocker.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 12:55 PM
k, I wil accept any suggestions. But before I do anything, I do have to talk to James about it, and together we will make a choice on what to get.

honeybee4
June 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I agree with Raingirl, google tool bar all the way. The popup blocker is great plus you can search the internet anytime on the toolbar without having to go directly to google.ca.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM
you know, I think I am going to go ahead and do that. I didn't think about the search bar. Google is the main place James and I do are searches!!! Thanks guys.

honeybee4
June 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my google search. I use it daily for work. How do you guys think I found you all. :)

nymph
June 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Oh just one more good thing about FireFox: it's a green software, meaning that it's lightweight, no need to install and doesn't create junk system files, AND it's a freeware!

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I will try both out to see what I like better, and will tell you this weekend.

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I use Netscape Navigator 8, it has a built in pop-up blocker, and they have some kind of joint thing with Firefox.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I refused to use anything but netscape all the way back to netscape 2.0 beta (around 1994). When they released Netscape 6, it totally bombed. It crashed all the time and was so slow, that I had to use IE. I never went back. Is netscape good now again?

I use a different browser when I am on the MAC...called Safari. it has problems with some websites though.

nymph
June 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM
FireFox was developed by the same folks who created Netscape only better! Netscape seriously deteriorated since the aquisition by AOL. FireFox is open-source, just like old Netscape used to be. It also support mutiple platforms like MAC and Linux.

Netscape 8.0 is based on FireFox.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I have been using FireFox, and haven't had a single pop up since!!! It is truely wonderful......

Jackie467
June 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Is firefox free? Do you have the link you get it from? I really need a pop up blocker. I have the google thing that worked great for about 5 months, now all the sudden it doesn't block anything so I want to try something different.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I will find it for you, yes it is free. And when you use the net, you will use the firefox icon to access the internet, as it is a completely different browser than explorer or whatever you have.

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM
www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Jackie467
June 10th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks so much. I just downloaded it and it seems to be working great. I hope it continues to block everything :fingerscr .