Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Exercise and getting fit

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 09:55 AM
ok so ive been on this healthy kick the past month or 2, and I decided i need exercise, alot more of it.

but i cant always drag the kdis where id like to go, and Id prefer stuff i can do at home.

so i bought these leg things for resistance, its suppsoed to do the same thign a rowing machine does, and a bought a skipping rope[a proper workout one]

http://www.ballystore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1969159&cp=1787075

thats the skipping rope

i cant find the rowing thing, but you but your feet thru one part and keep your legs traight and pull with your arms, and it resists your pull so good for the arms, and i figure probably the back as well

but someone told me once that skipping isnt really that good for urning calories, anyone know if this is true or not??

i generally do walking anyhow, jogging and runing is so not my thing, so im pretty much looking for alternatives to that

Eleni

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Anything that gets your heart rate up will burn calories. One thing to invest in would be a heart rate monitor. I alway use one while riding my bike trainer (I put my mountain bike in an aparatus and it works like a stationary bike). That's something else you could look at, is cycling. Depending on the age of your kids, you could get a trailer for them, that'll even give you a bit of resistance training! Also, building up muscle tone will help, as muscles burn calories even when you are just sitting.

The important thing isn't what you do, it's that you do it. So whether skipping rope is a high calorie burner or not doesn't really matter if it's what you enjoy. Personally, I think if you do it at a high rate, it will work. Again, get that heart rate up!

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 10:19 AM
well part of my reasoning withs tuff i can do at home is im self consious, and if i can do it at home im alot more likely to do it.

so at least in the beginning untill my confidence is up a bit ive been looking for ways to cater to beign able to workout at home.

I do ahve a stationary bike but its broken, i cant shange the resistance at all on it o its on the easiest setting permanently, not sure how much of a work out that is heh

Eleni

Crazy Hippie
June 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Skipping is actually very good cardio exercise. We use it in the "boxfit" classes at school to get our heart rates up fast! Walking is a moderate calorie burner (brisk walking) and also a good stress reliever. I don't like running either so if I can't get to the gym, I always take a long walk in the neighbourhood and it does the trick.

I just bought some kind of machine for my mom called the Tony Little Gazelle and she loves it, it works all major muscle groups too.

Another thing you could try if you want to work out at home is exercise videos (if you've got an hour to yourself, that is!). Have you ever tried yoga? It's very good for toning arm/back/leg/everything muscles. It looks easy but I was sore for 2 days after my first class! :crazy:

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I want to recommend a book for you. It's called "strength training for muscle development" by Mark Hatfield. (http://www.sterlingpub.com/book/CategoryBookDisplay.asp?BookKey=963913)My physio recommended it. I found the more I have learned about weight training and muscles and workouts, the more confused I got about what does what and when and how much. This book explains each excercise in detail, giving beginner and advanced excersices, and alternatives using different items from around the home. Don't have weights? Here is a way to do it with water bottles. It also explains the whys, the hows, then it has workout routines at the back, using the excersises in the book. That way you don't get confused about what is a push excercise, what is a pull, upper/lower splits. It also has a section on warm up routines and stretching/cool down routines. GREAT BOOK.

I went to a gym for two years straight and did what I was told was a good routine (cardio 30 minutes 3 times a week on bike/eliptical, weight training three times a week with a plan arranged by a trainer, and swimming daily). Recently I went to a physiotherapist for some chronic shoulder pain and told her this, but she was surprised to hear I had no results. I never lost or gained a pound. After some investigations and speaking with my doc, we realised I have "reactive hypoglycemia" so most foods cause me to have a sugar high fast, and a sugar drop fast, even foods that typically shouldn't affect blood sugar as much (like protein). Most foods trigger it (I have yet to find a food that doesn't except pizza) which is making it IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight. I am always shakey and tired and weak no matter if I ate a huge meal just before. I thought I had a fast metabolism and digestive track, because I would always feel hungry within 20 minutes of eating. Turns out it was the low blood sugar hitting me. As a result, I tend to eat a lot because I need the fuel because my body sucks it up too fast.

I also found out I have scoliosis in my upper spine around the same time, which doctors missed when I was younger. Since I was about 9 or 10 I had shoulder pain when carrying my backpack or during gym class. As I got older, the shoulder pain would show up from simply walking around doing regular activities (would get worse when prolonged like walking around at the zoo or mall). My yoga instructor asked me if I had scoliosis as my left shoulder was higher. Guess what? She was right! So..because of that, my whole body is completely unbalanced and out of whack. My shoulder pain and spine curve (the top of my spine instead of straight is a curve to the left) caused my my hips to be unbalanced for years, and now I walk funny....kinda have a tendency to drop my left foot. I have been working on it for a year, but almost no progress. Physio, chiro, workout routines, eating plan. I did eventually lose some weight since getting the dog though. So...walking appears to work for me really well. I also feel I have started eating a little better with the dog. Giving him good food makes me want good food.

Sorry to rant...I understand how frusterating it is to lose weight though. I have read so much on physiology, I know the excercises, I was doing a good routine, and nothing worked. I thought I must be doing something wrong, when it turns out my body was working against me.

I really suggest you get the book. I saw it recently at costco actually, but I'm sure you could get it from Indigo or at least order it.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Hey crazy, I was thinking of getting the gazelle. It was suggested I get a cardio machine that doesn't rely on my gait, because it's so screwed up. The physio thought the gazelle might help balance out my muscles in my lower body and remove my gait problem. They have them at zellers now for under $200.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 10:59 AM
i have been tempted to go to the doctor and ahve a full physical done to be sure theres nothing sitting in my way of getting fit

i ahve been slowly loosing weight.

i weigh myself daily, but seems i loose about 1 lb every 2-3 weeks

pretty slow weight loss, but i find im also keeping it off wich is something ive never been able to do before.

I wish it wasnt such a slow process, but i fear trying to speed it up, i dont want to do anything that I cant maintain permanently.

i ahve about 60 lbs to loose so ill be at it awhile i think

Eleni

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
You should always go for a complete blood work up and talk with your doc about what you are going to do before doing it. I would do it if I were you.

Also, don't weigh yourself. Throw out the scale. Weight means nothing. Muscle is heavier than fat. Gage it by how your clothes fit and how you look, not by weight.

If you insist on weighing, do it only once per week. Lock up the scale the rest of the time.

Lizzie
June 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Hey Eleni: You can get the rubber quasi rowing cords at Winners. I bought mine there. It comes with a video tape too :) Homesense could possibly have it as Winners/Homesense are the same. Try Winners first though.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Oh. I forgot this as well. I used to work in rehab (adjusting insurance claims for people injured in car accidents...so I learned ALL about rehab). THis is a list of essential items for a home workout routine:

1. Theraball (you know, the big bouncy balls..theraball is the best brand, others could burst easily-about $30)
2. Therabands (rubber bands or any kind of tubing that is a resistance tubing-$5 to $15)
3. Free Weights (got mine at walmart for $60...has 100 kg of weights from 2.5 kg to 10 kg, and a long bar. I got two short bars for $10..you can buy individual weights cheap at play it again sports. For the beginner, buy two short bars, and 4-2.5 kg eights, and 4-5 kg weights)
4. yoga mat (I got one of those foam camp mats for $2 at canadian tire)

I also have a skipping rope but no where to skip, so my cardio is jogging on the spot while watching TV, and walking the dog.

Theraballs are great. Just sitting on them while you work on the computer or watch TV improves your posture. Just keeping yourself stable and balanced on the ball (and not doing anything else) actually works your core stabelizers and muscles. It's a great item. They really help with lower back pain.

Also, if you want to work your thighs and butt, just stand parallel to a wall (back facing the wall) with the ball between you and the wall, and do a squat. It's the easiest way to do a squat.

If you want to learn exercises for a peice of equipment (like your tension band) go to:

http://www.sissel-online.com/

they have 100's of free online excercise instruction sheets.

Lissa
June 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Measurements tell you a lot more about where you are then the numbers on the scale! I don't have a scale in the house because I don't believe in them.

I tend to buy a lot of the at-home exercise because I find the the cost of a gym membership is insane (also because I don't like sweating my butt off in public)! So I have a rowing machine and an elliptical trainer; but I am really into winsor pilates with the resistance band, I also have a body dome which is the best during the winter and I have always liked using an exercise ball. I use free weights every other day but I'm only up to 10lbs right now - I'm a weakling on that score!

Running is not my favourite either because it takes forever for me to increase my endurance. I find that walking/hiking with Dodger during his off-leash time has done so much by itself. It strengthens my legs and abs (and posture) without me feeling like I have just had a hard workout! Dogs are wonderful motivators!

Good luck with your exercise regime, I know I couldn't do it if I had a household to take care of, so good for you!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 9th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I joined a womans kick boxing class, we do whats called muay thai super hard work out but I feel great afterward, I think I could even protect myself now if I had to or at least give a guy a pretty jab and hook.

I actually haven't been going since I started my new job, I have to leave my house at 5am and by the time I get home I am exhausted. I know I should just drag my butt out the door and go and I will feel all the much better.