Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who are the people in your neighbourhood

Dogastrophe
June 9th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Last night, my wife and I made a list, by name, of all the dogs that we have had contact with in the neighbourhood and dog park and then tried to list the name of the owner next to them. We found that we only knew about 10 - 15% of the owners names but could identify all the dogs by name and breed and in many cases where they live. The ppl were always referred to as Lulu's Dad and Sammi's Mom.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this or are we just nuts?

LavenderRott
June 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I find that it is much easier to keep track of my girls' friends by which dog meets us at the door. So, when my younger daughter tells me she wants to go to Dani's house, she always says "You know Mom, she has the Akita!"

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
lol the kids around here often say, "your the one wht the white dog right"

hehe, i knowmroe dogs then people around here too, most times the dogs make better friends then the people :P

Eleni

nymph
June 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Yup, same here. We'd name our neighbors like: Dante's dad, Gibson's mom, Rosalee's mom, Portugese waterdog's mom, etc. :D

Safyre
June 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
My neighoburs, I know thier actual names, but we have a very close co-op. As for neighbours a long the street.. no they are 'cider's mom' and 'you know, that black siberian!".. lol

Lissa
June 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I'm the same way, unless I really get along well with the owners, I only ever remember their dog's name. Also, I find that I at the dog park, I don't recognize the owner but immediately remeber their dog. I only know 2 people names, compared with the dozens of dog's I meet - oops!

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Wow I do not feel as weird now! LOL Justin will say someone's name and I will be like do they have the black cat, etc! LOL

Luba
June 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Whew! I"m not alone...I usually only remember the dogs names unless of course the owner is #1 really cute guy OR they become friends.

One of Sadie's doggy friends 'daddy' forgot my name and called me 'Sadie' instead LMAO!

iRONKNiGHT
June 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
When i saw the name of the Thread i started laughing and said to myself!
"what the heck"
Who are the people in your neighbourhood.. okay so you wanna know why i was laughing..

from Sesame Street

Oh, who are the people in your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
Say, who are the people in your neighborhood?
The people that you meet each day.

Dogastrophe
June 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
that was going thru my head when I started the thread .... then found myself humming it for most of the day.

They're the [dogs] that you meet
When you're walking down the street
They're the [dogs] that you meet each day

doggy lover
June 9th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I'm really bad with names, it takes me a long time to remember someones name and I work in a nursing home where I know the persons name, diets likes dislikes in food, but not their face, isn't that terrible.

Prin
June 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM
At our dog park, we know the members by the doggy, not the person... I think it's normal.. :crazy:

CyberKitten
June 9th, 2005, 11:57 PM
For some reason I have that Seseme Street song in my head now and I just know it'll be there all night! Thx, sighhhhhhh!! Oh there's all kinds of ppl in your neighbourhood.... I could change the words I guess, "The beagle's mother is a person in your neighbourhood, etc, lol

I know most of the ppl in my beighbourhood and their pets! And their children!

Writing4Fun
June 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
It's perfectly normal! It's the same way with kids. Soccer season just started, so once again conversations begin with, "Hi, you must by Tyler's mom..." The same thing at obedience school. I've been through two sets of agility classes with one fellow and his Cocker Spaniel, and I'm still "Phoebe's mom" and he's still "Jeremy's dad". :D

doggy lover
June 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday when Tucker and I went for a walk. We met lots of dogs yesterday none that we had met before, which was great. I guess everyone was out in the evening as it was really nice out. Anyways one dog we met a Chinese crested\powderpuff and her mom has a BC\GSD (oh no here we go with short forms again) which we have met before, we met 2 labs, one GSD\huskie, one Sheltie\GSD, 2 GR and one JR. Each owner talked about their pet asked each others types of dogs and names bla bla bla, but did we once say HI my name is----- no not one of us did, strange isn't it.