Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with a WILD rose bush

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Hey all you gardeners: We have a wild rose bush growing in our front garden, and it's HUGE. Questions are:

1. Can I trim it back? If so, what season?

2. There are huge pink blossoms on this, and they're starting to lose their petals, can I clip these?

3. Is there some type of staking I can use to tie it up?

I'll try to post pics when I get some.

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM
1. severe trimming is normally done in late fall. Pruning can be done mildly now to give it shape. Prune any sucker offshoots as well as these make the bush tired.

2. Clipping back the rose's who's petals have fallen will help with production of new buds.

3. You can try using a peonie hoop to hold it up, available in most garden centers. The dollar store one's aren't sturdy enough.

I would also suggest buying a small bag of bone meal to feed it with. Dig a shallow trench around the bush and sprinkle the bone meal in the trench. Cover trench back up and water. Bone meal does amazing things for roses.

Check the stems around the buds for aphids. They'll look like bumpy green clumps or little red guys, about the size of a flea with see through wings. If you find some then you can get an organic spray from your garden center to spray them with. Do the spraying at dusk so that the leaves will have time to dry and have morning dew before the sun comes up in the day.

lol, not sure if you wanted all that information but I work at a garden center.

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 11:15 AM
1. severe trimming is normally done in late fall. Pruning can be done mildly now to give it shape. Prune any sucker offshoots as well as these make the bush tired.

What's a sucker offshoot?

2. Clipping back the rose's who's petals have fallen will help with production of new buds.

Okay, do I clip just at the head, or down a bit?

3. You can try using a peonie hoop to hold it up, available in most garden centers. The dollar store one's aren't sturdy enough.

This sucker is HUGE, will a peony hoop hold it?

I would also suggest buying a small bag of bone meal to feed it with. Dig a shallow trench around the bush and sprinkle the bone meal in the trench. Cover trench back up and water. Bone meal does amazing things for roses.

Did that in the spring (well, actually, mom did). It seems to love the full sun (we get full sun from 7:30 am till about 5pm at the front of the house)

Check the stems around the buds for aphids. They'll look like bumpy green clumps or little red guys, about the size of a flea with see through wings. If you find some then you can get an organic spray from your garden center to spray them with. Do the spraying at dusk so that the leaves will have time to dry and have morning dew before the sun comes up in the day.

Will do.

I want ALL that information. Do you travel? Wanna come over and be my gardener?????

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 11:24 AM

What's a sucker offshoot?

Okay, do I clip just at the head, or down a bit?

This sucker is HUGE, will a peony hoop hold it?

Did that in the spring (well, actually, mom did). It seems to love the full sun (we get full sun from 7:30 am till about 5pm at the front of the house)

Will do.

I want ALL that information. Do you travel? Wanna come over and be my gardener?????
Sucker offshoot is a long piece that grows beyond the bush and doesn't flower. Usually a brighter tone than the rest of the bush.

Clip about an inch or two down from the head providing that you don't have an off bud on the same stem so as not to cut a new bloom.

If you go to a garden center, you will see different hoop options, some come in segments that you piece together to make the size of hoop you need and have additional supports as needed.

I love Orangeville area. I competed at Tralee several times. Would move their in a heartbeat. Spectacular area.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM
BMD-you work in a garden centre? Any tips for getting rid of whiteflys on nastursums??

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
There's an organic spray called 3 in 1 (not sure who makes it will check) that will do it as well as another spray called Endall (made by Safers), organic as well. Both clear up a meriad of problems. They are both about $10 for a spray bottle.

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
http://www.gardensablaze.com/CompanionPest.htm

For those of you who would like a totally natural approach to pests... this site gives you the pest and the plant to include in your garden that the pests dislike. A nice natural alternative to spraying anything.

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Okay, so now I'm gonna be ALL over you with my garden questions....

Yes, Orangeville is beautiful. What's Tralee?

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
There's a huge riding center there as well as carriage trials are held there and also a veterinary facility and pet boarding facility. It's heading right when you are coming into Orangeville proper.