Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2YO Cat is Sneezing and has One Runny Eye

knightknk
June 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
2YO Cat is Sneezing and has One Runny Eye, the sneezing came first then I noticed her right eye was very wet.

Just wondering If this was something common that will go away.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
you need to go to the vet.

i know when one of my cats had kennel cough it seemed like she was sneezing at first,

secondly there is a cold cats can get, not sure of the name used for it or whatever, but you really need to get her into the vet and make sure its nothing serious

keep us updated:)

Eleni

april21h1
June 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Please take your cat to the vet ASAP.

I was concerned about Fu's almost daily sneezing, I took him to the vet and told her about his symptoms. She checked him over and told us it was allergies. But he will sneeze several times in a row. The vet told us to keep an eye on him when he is sneezing if we notice any dicharge from his nose or eyes to get him in to her.

Since your cat has a discharge I would get her into the vet now.

Shamrock
June 9th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Ongoing sneezing is a classic sign of a URI (upper respiratory infection).
It may NOT be this, but as the others have said - your kitty should be checked by a vet to determine the cause . As her eye is now running too.. I would do this as soon as possible.
Good luck.

Kariia
June 15th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I'd say it's a cold. Are the eyes really runny, like tears, or just eye boogers?

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I'd say it's a cold

Cats do not get colds like we do. They get URIs (Upper respiratory infections) and in a healthy adult cat, it will pass in a week or 10 days if there are no complications. There is no treatment for this, since it's a virus. Discharge from eyes or nose should be clear, and the cat should be eating and drinking.

Green discharge from eyes or nose (especially if accompanied by loss of appetite or lethargy) MUST be seen by a vet, since this would signal a secondary infection which requires antibiotics.

Kariia
June 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Cats do not get colds like we do. They get URIs (Upper respiratory infections)

Well, that is what I meant, as a URI is basically a cat cold. But I don't know much about pet diseases, so I'm probably wrong.

pags
June 16th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Ditto what Lucky said. It's just like with kids -- watch carefully for changes in the color (any color at all is not good - it should be clear) and consistency (for instance, it gets gooey) in any discharge and also for changes in eating/drinking habits and behavior. What you're really looking for is a secondary infection or complication which will need immediate treatment. Oh - and pamper your kitty anyway... Just because it's probably a virus that will have to run its course doesn't mean your cat's feeling all that great. :)

-- Er I just noticed that Lucky also mentioned the secondary infection thing... Okay so just plain ditto what lucky said. Giggle. --