Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

no exercise

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 07:22 AM
sam came home yesturday after his neuter with the instructions, no exercise, keep him on a short leash, keep him from licking and no boths till the stitches dissolve.

wich is all good but the exercise part is tough.

anytime me or one of the kids enters the room he starts jumping with excitement.

im assuming the no exercise is to keeps the stitches from opening??

i crated him in the night to avoid him chasing the cats while we were sleeping

i let him loose a bit this morning, but should i tether him to me to assure he stays settled?

otherwise he will probably run and play as normal.

on a positive note he doesnt seem to be in pain, the vet sent him home on a pain killer wich i gave him as directed, but it almost seems as he doesnt need it, if i diddnt know he had been neutered you would not know, hes as lively and happy as before the neuter

should I continue the pain medication anyway?

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 07:52 AM
The no exercise is also to prevent a conditon called "blue balls" which happens when a male is neutered and has too much activity at the beginning so a tiny tear occurs internally and the scrotum fills with blood. It's more likely to happen in an older dog being neutered than a young dog.

As for the meds.. what medication were you given? Sometimes meds are a combination of pain relief and antibiotic to avoid post op infection. If it's a med that only indicates 3 days use then it is most likely pain relief only.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM
anafen 5 mg is what he is on

if its a pain medication im not sure he needs it, hes so spunky i have a hard time beleiving hes having any pain,

when I rolled him over this morning to look over his stitches he diddnt even flinch,

in fact he was licking my arms the whole time heh

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Sounds like he bounced back pretty quickly. Normally our vet suggests pain meds for the females or older dogs as it's much harder on them but says the young one's are right as rain in a day. So it's up to you to continue them or not. If you aren't sure, just check with the vet's office.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 08:02 AM
im gonna call when they open, Id hate to give him something he really dosent need.

im glad he bounced back quickly, I am a worry wart and probably would ahve worried too much if he was mellow for a few days hehe

tho I did baby him last night and let him sleep in our bed

i think he may become a permanent bedfellow, because he was thrilled to share my pillow with me heh

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
lol, I can't tell you how many times I have heard of coddling after altering leading to allowing previous house no no's... like sharing beds, laying on couches... :thumbs up

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM
hehe guilty as charged

Eleni