Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swollen mamary glands during heat cycle

gsaggonzalez
June 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM
My 10 month old Golden Retriever is in her first heat cycle. Is it normal for her mamary glands to be swollen. She has been in heat for approx. 3 weeks and hasn't been unmonitored, so we are confident she hasn't been with a male. Thanks, Susi

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Researching online I have not found that it is normal for the Mammary Glands to be swollen during a heat cycle. For that reason, I would suggest a call to the vet in the morning, as researching advises that it can be caused by pregnancy, infection or even cancer.
No diagnosis from here, obviously, but DEFINATLY something to call the vet about.

Karin
June 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Class is open. Take a seat. Sit , stay....read and learn. What's to follow is a a wealth of great advice.

db7
June 8th, 2005, 11:16 PM
It depends. How swollen is swollen? Yes, expect some swelling. And possibly more after the heat cycle passes. Also watch her practise as she collects all her toys together in her nest and grooms them.

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Are you a Golden Retriever breeder? Are you breeding the dog?

Prin
June 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Have you considered spaying her so you won't have to worry about these issues ever again? I suppose if you were looking to breed seriously, you'd be asking your breeder for help, not a doggy forum you found on the internet. :confused:

Trinitie
June 10th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Let us not jump to conclusions please. Depending on who this person has talked to, they may have been told to spay the dog at 1 year. I've known vets who say that, even though it's not the "norm" anymore.

BMDLuver
June 10th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Let us not jump to conclusions please. Depending on who this person has talked to, they may have been told to spay the dog at 1 year. I've known vets who say that, even though it's not the "norm" anymore.
Agreed. Some vets still give out the advice to wait until after the first heat cycle. I just had a Dane in that was in heat and she had one set of nipples slightly swollen. Not all dogs do this but some do.

divi
January 2nd, 2010, 01:09 AM
My 8 month old Cavalier is not yet spayed, and I noticed tonight her mammaries are swollen. She is just getting over her first heat. I plan to have her spayed shortly.

She's only been out to go to the bathroom--and that area is within a 6' stockade fence. No one's dug in.

She has been taking her toys into her crate a lot more than usual the last few days... :)