Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kid/Pet safe Mosquito Repellent

twinmommy
June 8th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Anyone have any good ones? Preferably DEET-free. Found one on line called Cedarcide, can't seem to find a store that sells it, the website wants you to order online. I should specify that it is not for skin application, but more of a yard repellent that I need. I don't want to waste time ordering on line by the time I recieve it the season for skeeters will be over. :rolleyes:

Any feedback on it, or others?

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I use Skintastic. I don't know if there is deet in it or not, but it's awesome. I use it when I patrol for 6-8 hours in the woods, in black fly country. I almost never get bites while I'm wearing it, it doesn't stink, and it doesn't make me sticky. I swear by it!

jackieb
June 9th, 2005, 06:24 AM
I use skintastic too it does have deet in it 7.125% Ciaran my eldest has still got bites with it im not sure why!

maddoxies
June 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I have the instructions for homemade bug repellant (all natural, lemon juice, etc). Have not tried it myself, came from Golden Retriever Rescue in Texas. PM me if you want the instructions. I am not sure if it is on their website also.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
i use skin so soft on the kids and ive never seen a bug bite on them

i might be wrogn but i think the flea stuff that the vet prescribed the dog and cats is supposed to help them from bugbites too.

I should call and find out

Eleni

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 07:27 AM
ah yard application

my mom burns citronella candles in her yard, during pool parties and whatnot, and it seems to make a big difference,

my step dad also bought a bug zapper, it helps with the big bugs i suppose, my kids find teh zapping noise hilarious

i feel bad for the poor bugs

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Canadian Tire sells a Mosquito Vaccuum. It does a half acre property and I know of several people who have purchased them and swear by them. They are $349, so not cheap but apparently work amazingly. This is the first year that the girls and I cannot be out at all as everyone is getting eaten alive. We are seriously considering buying one. They run on a propane cannister like you have for your BBQ's.

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Canadian Tire sells a Mosquito Vaccuum. It does a half acre property and I know of several people who have purchased them and swear by them. They are $349, so not cheap but apparently work amazingly. This is the first year that the girls and I cannot be out at all as everyone is getting eaten alive. We are seriously considering buying one. They run on a propane cannister like you have for your BBQ's.

Half an acre property..........hmmmmmmmmm....So if one of my neighbors buys one, I won't have to :evil: . To bad your not my neighbour BMD..LOL. :D .

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM
lol Happycats, you think like me:P

scary thought

i think they have citronella tourches now too, they look like the tiki type tourches but they give off the citronella when they are lit,

so if you want something to look nice but still protect that may be an option

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Half an acre property..........hmmmmmmmmm....So if one of my neighbors buys one, I won't have to :evil: . To bad your not my neighbour BMD..LOL. :D .
lol, you'd be out of luck as my property is already just over a half acre! :p

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 08:05 AM
you know tho, thats an option for people who are close with their neighbors,

split teh cost of something like that, and you both are protected from bugs at half the cost.

of course if you dont get on with your neighbor its not a real good option, unless it gets rid of buggy neighbors too :P

Eleni

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 08:39 AM
lol, you'd be out of luck as my property is already just over a half acre! :p

Oh no problem, we could just move the patio furniture and BBQ to your side :D

Eleni, I get those citronella torches too, I get a whole pack for a dollar, at dollarama! I use the citronella candles as well. And I put KIDS off skintastic on my son. (I always seem to be smothering something on the poor child :p sunblock by day, bug spray by night, baby wash in the tub!)

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I got a herbal spray from our local health food store. It's citronella oil based, with lavender oil, oregano oil, bergamot oil, and some other oils (don't have it in front of me.

It's safe for dogs too. I spray a little on my hands, rub the dog down, then rub me down. It smells great. It was $10 for a bottle, should last the season.

jackieb
June 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Im thinking of getting something for the new house we are going to if you get one will you let me know if it works. The new house rear yard is over 1/2 acer nearly 3/4 wonder if you could get it slighlty bigger

thanks

Do the candels and things work im looking for some kid proof stuff to keep the mosquitoes away my eldest is covered in bites our garden has alot of them think its due to the amount of trees bushes etc

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Im thinking of getting something for the new house we are going to if you get one will you let me know if it works. The new house rear yard is over 1/2 acer nearly 3/4 wonder if you could get it slighlty bigger

thanks

Do the candels and things work im looking for some kid proof stuff to keep the mosquitoes away my eldest is covered in bites our garden has alot of them think its due to the amount of trees bushes etc
They have a second model that's about $100 more for larger properties. I'll let you know when we get it. My MIL has one and now sits outside all the time. You used to have to force her outside before so that's a good recommendation.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Ok guys. No offence, but do you really need another peice of outdoor equipment that is going to polute the environment? I don't know it they are gas or electric, but either way, is it really necessary? Are moquitoe bites that bad??

Just take garlic pills and zinc tablets daily and you won't get bitten. It's a lot better in the long run then ruining the environment.

When I lived in the carribean, getting bit from a mosquito was serious (yes, I know west nile is serious but not as prevalent or bad as some of the diseases where I was because I was working in a rainforest) and you had to avoid them at all cost. I just took a regular multivitamin, a garlic pill, a zinc pill, and tums for calcium daily, and the entire 4 months I was there, I never got bit once, where the people around me where getting eaten alive. Ask any naturopath, garlic and zinc are natural repellants. Mosquitoes are attacted to CO2 and Lactic acid (so don't go out if you worked out recently) that your body emits. Any smell that is strong enough to mask that will repel mosquitoes. Garlic, cedar, verbena, geranium, lavender, pine, cinnamon, rosemary, basil, thyme, allspice, and peppermint all have chemical properties that mask the smell of CO2/lactic acid coming from the body. Taking garlic internally, and getting a spray with one of the above compounds in it will work.

You can go to any health food store/naturopathic pharmacy and buy ingredients to make a spray.

1. a glass dark coloured spray bottle (keeps the contents fresh and won't degrade the ingredients). MUST be glass and dark coloured.
2. bottle of distilled water
3. essential oils of your choice for the spray. Citronella should be the major component, but add lavender, rosemary, basil, tyme, peppermint, and even a little garlic oil if you can find it.

Fill the bottle with about 50% distilled water. Add essential oils until 3/4 full. Make the most of it cironella, then add others. Shake well and spray. if too weak, add more oils. If too strong, add more water. It takes some experimentation. You should not be left with an oily feeling on your hands/skin (means you have too much oils) but you should be left with a strong smell. If you cannot smell it much, add more oils.

Make sure the oils you get are high quality and super smelly for the best effect.

twinmommy
June 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
The homeopathic or natural route is maybe an option for adults, Raingirl, but for toddlers and babies, we need stuff with DIN #s (having been tested) and cannot rely on the natural stuff because unfortunately testing and/or research isn't done on these things.

It's really too bad, because, I for one would use them on my kids.

Herbs and such are much more potent than we think, for example, I was told not to drink herbal tea because of the unknown effects on hte nursing infant.

Also told not to have eucalyptus misting in a room (for a baby with a cold, lets say) under a certain age because of the neurologic effect!!

some things they've investigated I guess, but largely they just don't know as no testing is done.

Sorry for the hijack.

OH! lol!! it was my thread!! :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Have tried the natural sprays, they don't work on kids worth a hill of beans. My daughter looks like she has a serious case of the chicken pocks thanks to natural sprays. It's propane generated so I guess we should give up our barbecues as well?

lilith_rizel
June 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM
The citronella torches DO work. My dad has 'em, and his house is surrounded by woods!!! He hardly has an issue with getting bit......

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
The citronella torches DO work. My dad has 'em, and his house is surrounded by woods!!! He hardly has an issue with getting bit......
I do have an issue with the girls getting severely burnt however. When they are older I can consider it but right now they run around playing and if they fell on one it would be very damaging. :) My husband has a lovely scar on his hand from pulling one up at a campground to relocate it. He'll not do that again. :rolleyes:

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I actually don't agree with owning a gas BBQ, a lawnmower, and don't even get me started on leaf blowers (I literally want to STRANGLE people who have them/use them. It makes my blood boil!!

I will only use a charcoal BBQ, an old fashioned push mower (when I get a house that is). I even have issues with pools. If I ever get a pool, it will be a salt water pool with a solar powered motor.

twinmommy, you should consider seeing a naturopath, one who has been to medical school. My naturopath is also a family physician. She has done research on all kinds of naturals and knows what is safe and what is not. Essential oils are regulated now (so she told me..but only as of Feb 2005), as an essential oil is effectively the plant, boiled in distilled water and the oils of the plant are expressed. The process is regulated and the oils are tested for toxicity. THis is because Canada is one of the largest producers of essential oils in the world.

Things that are "herbal" and "natural" are not regulated, but "naturopathic" is. Anyone can label something as "herbal" or "natural". Those you should avoid. if you want a natural head ache releiver, ask a naturopath who will point you to what is safe (i.e. magnesium). Best thing to do is reserch an item before you use it. Europe has the best laws so far regulating "natural" and "herbal" substances. You should never take anything without knowing what it is and all it's side effects. In Europe, and product must be thoroughly tested in the same way drugs are before it is legalised for use. That's why I refer to european websites when researching natural ingredients. Of the ingredients I listed, Verbena is the only one that shouldn't be applied to the skin. It can however be used in one of those tea light candle burners where you put the oil on top, to deter mosquitoes. All essential oils in canada must have a label on them with warnings indicating whether they are safe to use on skin. If you see one that is not, bring it to the attention of the store owner and ask that they don't sell that product anymore as it isn't up to regulation.

Personally, I would rather use a product I can research and understand (like citronella oil) then deet. Deet is cancer causing.

You know why the british that colonized africa and india didn't get malaria as much as the local population? It's because they drank tonic water. Tonic water as quinine. Quinine is a natural anti-malarial. It is not the major component in anti-malarial drugs.

(I hope this all made sense, my mom has been blabbing in my ear for 30 minutes while I tried to type this)

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Verbena is actually Vervain and different types have different uses ie. yellow vervain, purple vervain, etc... None should be used when pregnant. Rescue remedy contains vervain.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
i agree with twinmommy, I wont give my children herbal remedies either

just because some things are regulate doesnt mean they are tested enough to ahve around the kids.

thats just my opinion

Eleni

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I will only use a charcoal BBQ,

You might want to check that one. I believe that burning charcoal releases more hydro-carbons into the air that burning propane. I could be wrong, but I think burning propane is 100% efficient, which means it is entirely used up and does not release anything into the air. That's one of the reasons why coal fired power plants are one of the biggest polluters today.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I actually worked with one of my TA's in university when I was doing a project on home remedies, natural substances, and naturopathic medicine. I learned a lot from that project.

Like I said in my "knowing too much" thread, I have done a TON of research on natural remedies, and I will use them anyday over anything chemical or likewise. THe key is knowing what is out there and what a item does. almost every plant known to man has been studied.

I have a habit of looking up chemical names on the internet, becuase as you know a bottle of shampoo or lotion has the chemical names, not what they actually are. Most of those ingredients are derived from plants and other substances. Aloe, tea tree oil, cinnamon oil, lavender oil, they are all in commonly used products around the house. Cocao butter is in most lotions.

When I find that something works for something, I find out why. Then I work backwards. Sorta like the opposite of what a research scientist does. If he knows that honey helps a sore throat, he will take the honey, analize it's chemical composition, find out what in the honey works, and create a throat drop with that compound. That's how medicine works most of the time. That's how we got Quinine for anti-malaria drugs, and foxglove (digitalis) for heart attacks. the native peoples of america would give fox glove to people with heart pains/chest pains and it helped. scientists isolated the compound that helped, and it is not the most widely used drug for patients with heart attacks.

I don't take something natural unless I know why it works. Stuff like "st. johns wort" is BS and I wouldn't take it because there is no scientific basis for it's benefit..yet. Stuff like chondroitin and glucosamine are borderline for me. Yes, they are naturally in our body, but can our body use them by just injesting them (I don't think so).

It's all about research. It's about knowing how a human responds to what they are taking. Look up the chemical analysis of a product if you have concerns (most are available on the net).

Aloe hasn't been extensive studied, yet everyone uses it??

Schwin. the primary concern with charcoal is the lighter fluid which has more hydrocarbons then a propane grill. However, I don't use lighter fluid. I have a charcoal heater that you plug in. Takes about 5 minutes. and as long as the charcoal is hot, but no flames, there is no polution. Plus, you have to use real charcoal, not charcoal brickets (which will burn and cause polution). Real charcoal is clean burning.

Technically with adequate oxygen, both produce carbon dioxide as their waste product, and propane produces water as well (adding to our humidity). However, the process used to make propane vs the process used to make pure charcoal, the pure charcoal one is more environmentally safe, as recycled wood can be used to make the charcoal. Propane in itself is a hydrocarbon and invariably leaks into the environment when the tanks are filled and the propane is made. Charcoal is a renewable resource as long as waste wood is used.

charcoal plants BURN (as in large fires) and that's where the polution comes from. As long as you aren't creating a fire with the charcoal, you are fine (it just need to be hot but not on fire)

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
You might want to check that one. I believe that burning charcoal releases more hydro-carbons into the air that burning propane. I could be wrong, but I think burning propane is 100% efficient, which means it is entirely used up and does not release anything into the air. That's one of the reasons why coal fired power plants are one of the biggest polluters today.
Exactly why more and more household appliances as well as "gadgets" are becoming available in propane.

twinmommy
June 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Agree with Schwinn about the bbq's most know that charcoal IS set on fire to MAKE the fire, if you've figured out a way to not burn it but make it hot...wow. :rolleyes: Then you can probably cure the cancer you'll get from eating charred food, which is also a popular opinion.

Personally if anyone gives me a plant, leaf or herb, when I'm having my heart attack instead of good ole nitro, I will kick your a$$ when I get off the ground.

I think that much of the old herbs, yes they worked, but what choice did peopel of that time have? And yes people use aloe vera, but it is topical. I personally get a rash from it--and no one can tell me why, because as you said the research is just not being done.

Not to be snarky in this post, just running out of salt grains. :cool:

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
digitalis and nitro are both used for heart attack symptoms. Digitalis is the most common drug prescribed for congestive heart failure (according to the american heart association).

Penicillin is just mold of bread or citrus

Why is it so odd that I can heat coals up to a cooking temp without setting them on fire? I have always been able to do this.

You get just as many carcinogens from a propane BBQ as you do from Charcoal. The carcinogens are in the sugars that carmalize and burn on the food, not in the heat that cooks it. If you cook your food and you get grill lines, those are what kill you, not the charcoal.

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm surmising from my limited knowledge of chemistry, but I believe it is the process of heating the charcoal that causes the damage. Heat causes a chemical reaction in the charcoal, and even though you can't see it, there is pollution there. I also recently found out that burning wood is bad for the enviroment, too. Again, it isn't the fire that causes the pollution, it's the chemical change (turning the wood to coals) that causes it.

My whole take on it is that these days, everything causes cancer. I think they only thing that haven't blamed to cause cancer is blinking (give it time!) And I'll die doing something stupid on my bike long before any of it gets me.

Oh, and I tend to like to use homeopathic remedies myself. One thing I'll say, though, is I won't try any "new" ones. I took a supplement for working out in University that was the next wonder supplement, and then a year later they found out it made you sick. I now have a policy that whatever I'm taking has to have been studied for a few years, homeopathic or otherwise.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
According to all the environment websites I looked at, there is no polution emitted from pure charcoal, where the polution comes from is the way it is lit. As long as you don't use lighter fluid, self lighting briquettes, or a "light the bag" variety, you are safe. Using an electric starter (looks like a stove element, but you plug it in and stick it in your charcoal to heat it up. As soon as it's hot (they get reddish), you take it out. No fire, no need for a fire. If they cool off, just fan a little with a plate or put the heater back in. The key is not burning the charcoal. Burning means fire and with the fire and smoke there is polution into the air. YOu can heat charcoal really hot and NOT have it burn, which is what I do. Most people pour the charcoal in, pour in the lighter fluid, and light a match. They burn the charcoal for a while, and then when the flames are gone, they cook over the hot coals. That's where the polution comes from. If you use an electric element to heat the coals, there is no fire and no polution. The only byproduct is carbon dioxide, the same as with a propane tank.

Keep in mind, I don't BBQ at all as I don't even have a yard or balcony. This is just my research into the matter. When I have a house and a yard, I will use charcoal, only in moderation, and make sure it doesn't burn.

Doesn't it suck that a campfire kills the air too? But I would rather give up my lawnmower for a push mower any day to have a few campfires per summer. My BF's brother and his wife got a pushmower (for those who don't know what it is, see below). It was cheaper than a gas or electric lawn mower, and the only maintenance it needs is sharpening every three years, and oil on the joints once a year. Not bad huh? So many of their neighbours came over and were like "my grandfather used to have one of those" and they all tried it out and were amazed how easy it was. I hope one day they outlaw all gas powered implements, smoking, and all kinds of other poluting agents, and impose huge taxes on people driving alone or in the city. It really disgusts me... sorry if I offend anyone with that, I just hate the consumerism and stuff going on in our day and age....

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/214300/214300/Products/7214596.jpg

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 05:14 PM
no offense raingirl but it would take me 5 days to do my property with that mower and then I'd have to start back at the beginning again. I would be daily mowing. I have seen people use them on small properties but never on acreage.

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I do have an issue with the girls getting severely burnt however. When they are older I can consider it but right now they run around playing and if they fell on one it would be very damaging. :) My husband has a lovely scar on his hand from pulling one up at a campground to relocate it. He'll not do that again. :rolleyes:

I put my citronella torches in my hanging baskets, and we put a little clip on the fence to stick the torches in :D

But please keep me posted on how the fogger works, I have always wanted one, but have never met anyone that has used one.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I guess for larger properties, it may not be feasable unless you don't mow the whole place. My friend had a non-lakefront cottage. Instead of mowing their who grassy area, they mowed "paths" to commonly used areas, saved time. Not that I'm saying you can't mow your whole property, but if I had a large property, I would only mow the area I used....or get animals that eat the grass..heheh

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I put my citronella torches in my hanging baskets, and we put a little clip on the fence to stick the torches in :D

But please keep me posted on how the fogger works, I have always wanted one, but have never met anyone that has used one.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669697&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1118352611603&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443250380&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

I don't think it's a fogger? It's now on sale for $50 cheaper so maybe hubby will break down and get it now! :fingerscr

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I wonder how tough that would be to strap to your back while mountain biking? Wait, that may not be such a good idea, wearing a propane tank as you go flying through the woods, hitting trees.

"What was that big explosion?"
"Schwinn"

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I was looking at one like this. Now I don't know which would be better. :confused:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444324 8037&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517513&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669697&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669697&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1118353242960

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I was looking at one like this. Now I don't know which would be better. :confused:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444324 8037&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517513&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669697&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669697&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1118353242960
The thing I like about the one I chose is that it's cordless so you can take it camping with you or to the cottage, etc.

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Oh, ,I like the one you chose better too :o

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Oh, ,I like the one you chose better too :o
lol, I think they are both probably effective, I just always think cordless because of where we may be and the lack of an available plug.

glasslass
June 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM
After reading Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy by Kevin Bales, I could never justify buying charcoal. The slave labor (small children included) taking place in Brazilian charcoal kilns is far worse than anything I can do to the environment with my propane Weber.

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Well, husband came home, took one look at what the kids looked like after being outside for only one hour with safe bugspray on and said "go get the machine tomorrow". So I'll let you know how it works out. I figure if it doesn't do the trick I just take it back. Canadian Tire is pretty good about that. I had two vaccuums before I got one that worked properly.