Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! My dog keeps vomitting... we don't know why!

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
My 9 month old American Pit Bull Terrier Maximus has been throwing up on a regular basis for MONTHS! We have had blood work, changed diets and everything. My vet thinks he just has a sensitive stomach or is eating something like sticks or bushes. Would sticks even cause this? (which I never see him do). This has been my vet since I was a child and first got my mini poodle. He has always been great and extremely knowledgable... however I am sick of my puppy being sick.

Some people say that white dogs tend to have more sensitive stomachs than others... even if this is so, what can I do? I can't look at his cute little face and see him sick anymore.

I will give you some facts: He is currently on OMH Wellness brand dog food for puppies. Supposedly, from my research this is a great brand of dog food. He is very active, we go to the dog park, agility etc. regularly. He eats and is fine for days, then he throws up for days. His stool is usually either soft or very loose... never firm or dark like my poodles was (sorry to get graphic). He tends to eat grass when we go to the park... no matter how much I stop him- which from what I know means he's already nauseous or has an upset stomach. Today was the worst I've ever seen his stool... it looked stringy and reddish- like there was blood in it. Maybe I'm overreacting about that- but I am very worried about this. Just when I think he's starting to get better he starts throwing up again. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? He's had all of his shots, including bordetella and was dewormed back when he was younger.

I would appreciate it so much if anyone who has any ideas on this could try and help me out. Thanks! :confused:

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM
A dog could pick up worms from a dog park if he eats grass where a dog may have deficated and the worms were on it. runny poop that is redding and stringy sounds like some kind of worm. It's possible he picked this up recently.

We have a english bully. He has a sensitive stomach, and his stool up until recently was always soft. We noticed a huge difference when we started feeding a supplement called "Solid Gold Sea Meal" with his feedings. His poop got firmer and his itchyness is going down, and his hair is growing back where he was licking/chewing his paws. It's a start. He still has allergies (maybe food/maybe seasonal) that we need to isolate.

Wellness is a good food, it could just be he lacks a proper amount of enzymes to digest it properly. I think that's why the Sea Meal helped us. It has enzymes and extra nutrients, which is good for dogs who have soft poops who might not be getting all their nutrients properly from food.

How often do you feed him? Our dog throws up when he hasn't eaten at his regular times. Is he vomiting yellow bile or food? If bile, this happens sometimes on an empty stomach or with stress. You can try and spred out his food more, to 3 or 4 times a day and it might help with the vomitting.

Some dogs are just sensitive and nervous, and throw up at any kind of stress.

Oh. I almost forgot. I would get a stool sample of the redding poop and bring him to a vet ASAP.

Vomitting and diarhia (I can never spell that word) can be a sign of an intestinal blockage.

Here is a nice site that explains how the genetics of white dogs plays a role in deafness and other problems with white dogs:

http://www.deafdogs.org/faq/

levimh
June 8th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I can't help with the vomiting, but I can say that I don't think that your dog would be throwing up because of eating sticks - if he IS eating sticks. My dog eats sticks (even though I try hard to remove them all) and never has a problem with them - digesting wise.

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Thank you so much for your response. I think his stool was stringy from eating grass... but of course I'm not 100%. I will call my vet tomorrow and ask, probably bring him in too... but we've had him in and out of the vet SO many times!

I had X-rays done too and everything is fine. His throw up is always food or at least brownish... like his food. Occasionally he'll even throw up water after he drinks a lot. I leave food out for him all of the time, but only about two cups... when it is gone I'll fill it up. He always eats a little at a time throughout the day. I know about the yellow bile, and that isn't what he throws up.

Maximus is very relaxed and calm so we can't imagine it being stress, but you never know. I would imagine a high strung dog to be the kind to throw up over stress.

I am glad you found a way to help your dog. I think I will bring Max to be tested for worms again... or bring in his stool. However, I am EXTREMELY glad you told me about the Sea Meal (at first I thought you typed Seal Meal and was like EWWW! lol). Where do you get it? I will search online. It's worth a shot! And again, thank you for the site... I've actually been to it before- but it's worth another look over. Once I got Maximus I was so nervous he would turn out to be deaf that I read ALL about it! lol... but thank God he is okay. He has a black nose and some spots on his belly and ears... usually that is a good sign. I appreciate your response SO much! Hopefully the Sea Meal helps.... I was thinking about getting him wheat grass as well. Do you think that could help? I used to give it to my mini poodle when she would throw up and she would feel better in a matter of hours.

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I can't help with the vomiting, but I can say that I don't think that your dog would be throwing up because of eating sticks - if he IS eating sticks. My dog eats sticks (even though I try hard to remove them all) and never has a problem with them - digesting wise.

Thank you very much... at least that helps me rule out something. I have been thinking of all the things he does that could cause this. I didn't think sticks would be a problem, but then again I've been surprised before.

Mockingcat
June 8th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Wellness is a great brand of dog food... I do have a suggestion, though. Some dog foods contain helpful bacteria that helps dogs to digest their food. I use Blue Buffalo, which has Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum and Eteroccoccus Faecium. They're supposed to contribute to better stools and overall health. It may be something to consider to switch to a food which contains these bacteria, just to see if it helps. :)

coppperbelle
June 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Have you always fed him Wellness? While the majority of dogs will do well on a certain food there is always that one that has problems with it. Perhaps a change of food is in order. I have heard good things about the Sea Meal but I caution you to try one thing at a time. I would think a stool sample would be a good idea just to rule out parasites.

Good luck

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM
if you do a search on the net, lots of places sell the Sea Meal online.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=7288

I would check at your local pet food store. Try and find somewhere that sells the solid gold dog food, and they probably have the supplement as well.

I know the website for the canadian distributor, but the US one. Some people know the website here, I hope they come and post it!

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Wellness is a great brand of dog food... I do have a suggestion, though. Some dog foods contain helpful bacteria that helps dogs to digest their food. I use Blue Buffalo, which has Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum and Eteroccoccus Faecium. They're supposed to contribute to better stools and overall health. It may be something to consider to switch to a food which contains these bacteria, just to see if it helps. :)

Thank you... so you think it could actually be his food? I will buy him anything... pay any amount for the food if I know it is the best one for him. I just need to find the right food for him. This Blue Buffalo, I never heard of- I would probably have to order it online. Where do you get it from?

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Have you always fed him Wellness? While the majority of dogs will do well on a certain food there is always that one that has problems with it. Perhaps a change of food is in order. I have heard good things about the Sea Meal but I caution you to try one thing at a time. I would think a stool sample would be a good idea just to rule out parasites.

Good luck

Pretty much, he started with Eukanuba and I switched him to Wellness. But he was VERY young then. I didn't know much about major dog food chains... I knew Eukanuba was supposed to be great... then I found out it was great compared to grocery store dog food, lol. (However, my poodle lived 17 years on Eukanuba.) Then I tried to find the best brand and Wellness seemed to be a favorite, so I got that one. I guess as much as I know about dogs I still have plenty to learn... especially with dog food. Thank you all for helping me out.

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 09:58 PM
if you do a search on the net, lots of places sell the Sea Meal online.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=7288

I would check at your local pet food store. Try and find somewhere that sells the solid gold dog food, and they probably have the supplement as well.

I know the website for the canadian distributor, but the US one. Some people know the website here, I hope they come and post it!

Thanks again... you feed your dog Solid Gold Dog food? I really have to find out which one would be best for him... I am so upset about him being sick. I mean a couple of months ago he was throwing up so much I had to bring him to the emergency room at 4AM to get an IV injected into his back so he wouldn't dehydrate. I just want him to get better. Oh yeah... and if he had worms and that was the cause for this... wouldn't that have came up the last million times I brought him to the vet? Because he hasn't suggested a stool sample recently AT ALL... I'm concerned about that.

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Yeah, the worms could have shown up since his last stool sample.

Common allergens/insensitivities for dogs are corn, wheat, chicken, beef, and dairy. Dogs can have problems with other ingredients as well. One dog on here is allergic/insensitive to all meat protein, so she is on a doggy vegetarian diet.

It might take a while to find out what is causing the problem, if it is food related.

Talk to your vet about an elimination diet. You feed one protein and one carb the dog never had before. There are foods out there that are one protein/one carb as well (wellness simple solutions are venison/rice or duck/rice). You try that for a while (4 weeks) and see if he gets better. If he does, then you slowly add one ingredient at a time back in. If the dog has a reaction, they likely have problems with that food. Dick Van Patten Natural Balance has a one protein/one carb food duck and potato. That is the one we are trying next. We tried the venison and rice and our dog wouldn't even eat it!

Good luck. If it's not parasites and the vet can't find anything, it's probably a food allergy.

Mockingcat
June 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM
We find it at the local Petsmart. Usually they carry several really high quality pet foods there. You could try printing out the names of the bacteria, and looking on the bag ingredients to see if any of the foods near you have it. :)

Hang in there, it can be tough dealing with something like this! But you're trying your very best to help your puppy, and I'm sure he knows it. :)

(Also, if you want to try to find Blue Buffalo near you, they have a store locator on their website, here: http://www.bluebuff.com/products/retailers.php)

Good luck with your baby! :)

Mockingcat
June 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Did a little more research... helpful bacteria are commonly known as "probiotics", and there are several foods I found online that contain them, so I'm sure one of your local pet stores will have some variety of them. :)

levimh
June 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yogurt has probiotics, doesn't it? Especially that new Activia that has over 1 billion live bacteria per..serving, I believe. Dogs are allowed to have yogurt, right? I let Levi lick out a small container of Activia that I eat, and he loves it.

Mockingcat
June 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the probiotics in yogurts are the same as what dogs use... maybe someone else on the thread has the info. Not sure how similar doggie and human stomachs are. :)

Copper'sMom
June 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
WOW! This sounds exactly like my boy Copper when he was younger! He used to vomit all of the time and his stools were always a little on the soft side. He started having blood in his feces at one point and was straining to poop. We found out it was because he was chewing on pine trees! OUCH! He was prescribed some meds(can't remember what) and wasn't allowed near any tree with needles on it!!

As for the vomitting, I used to worry he was going to turn out belimic or anorexic. I thought the vomitting was becoming a "habit" with his system. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. I really started paying attention as to when he would vomit - what was he doing before it happened, was it excitement or did he drink too much, anything that might cause him to vomit. It was mostly clear, slimy fluid and on occasion he threw up his food - which he would clean up right away ( if i could only teach him to scoop his poop!).
I did notice, if he was active after he ate or drink, he would throw up. Alot of the time it was projectile - no warning it was coming. I asked family members to refrain from feeding him table scraps as well as yes, i think his tummy was slightly on the sensitive side.

He is now 4 years old, and doesn't vomit near as much as he used to. He loves to eat grass and occasionally throws it up. When he drinks too much or plays afterwards or plays before and drinks too much, it's a give in he'll throw up. I think part of it may be because he his a deep chested dog but he's not near as bad as he used to be!

raingirl
June 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
mockingcat, the probiotics you mentioned above are the same ones that humans use and are in yogurt (don't beleive the claims of activia..it's all a marketing ploy! regular cheap astro yogurt was tested with a bunch of other yogurts and supplements and it came out on top as having the best count of active probiotic bacteria).

We used to give Odin yogurt, but we finally got him on a feeding regimine that works without it, so we are sticking with it for now. I LOVE that sea meal...his poops are harder now, his hair is growing back on the areas he chewed, his skin isn't as red anymore. I seriously think there must be some kind of...enzyme in there that he was lacking so he was having food insensitivities (kinda like lactose intolerance).

Angeleyes1437
June 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I just wanted to thank ALL of you for your help... I appreciate it SO much!!!

I spoke to my vet today and we ruled out parasites as Maximus was tested recently and is on Revolution which without my knowledge along with fleas, ticks, mosquitos and heartworms also prevent parasites. Thank you Revolution! :)

Anyway, so we are going to try the probiotics like "Solid Gold Sea Meal" and see if that helps him out (it can't hurt)... I will keep you all updated as to how he is feeling.

Also, just so you know I wouldn't suggest yogurt for a dog's source of probiotics... simply because it is a dairy product which is very harmful to dogs.

Thanks again!!

~Christina*

:crazy:

raingirl
June 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM
dairy isn't bad for dogs at all. I went to a naturopathic vet and they recommended it.

Angeleyes1437
June 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Well, I guess that vet has a difference in opinion. Whatever works for you- I just wouldn't give my dog dairy.

Angeleyes1437
June 13th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I would like to thank all of you again for responding to me and helping with Max's problem. He hasn't thrown up in the past 4 days, and was doing really good. We had to order the solid gold sea meal... I ordered overnight on Thursday but it is yet to arrive. However, I have been feeding him small amounts throughout the day and he was doing much better... Until today, he had breakfast (wet food so he could take his medication) and then has not touched his food all day. He is exceptionally sluggish, so I'm a little worried about him but hopefully it's just a bad day and by tomorrow he will be better.

He changed his diet on wednesday to a prescription diet for his sensitive stomach. I didn't want to do this (because the nutrients are not the best for him) but the vet said it is the best thing to in order to troubleshoot. If this helps then we will eventually switch him back to a different high quailty food- because obviously Wellness has not been working for us. If it does not, then he goes for internal tests... I purchased Health Insurance for him, just because incase... it's the best thing- so we don't have to worry if he turns out to have any problems other than a sensitive stomach... which is most probable.

I will keep you all updated and if you come across any new ideas please let me know!

Thanks again! :angel:

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Sorry I missed this thread the first time around-- I became nearly a pro at mystery throwing up with Boo. Every night at 4 AM... He was allergic to chicken. He'd wait till his stomach was empty and then violently throw up for hours. Because the two were so far apart and he was also having anxiety attacks, it was so hard to pin point the problem.

I give my two Solid Gold Wolf King. They LOVE it. Jemma was on Wellness when we got her and she would eat her first portion of two at 2 in the afternoon. With Solid Gold, she wakes us up to eat in the morning and ravages it every day with no sign of fading enthusiasm. The Wolf King is also likely to have different ingredients than what you are feeding now (except the Salmon meal and oatmeal-- but no chicken...). Here are the two side by side, and the Wolf Cub food (for puppies) too, if you want to continue with puppy:

Wellness Puppy:
Deboned Chicken, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Barley Flour, Ground Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomatoes, Flaxseed, Peas, Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Bananas, Whole Apples, Whole Pears, Garlic, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid

Solid Gold Wolf King:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

And Wolf Cub (almost the same as Wolf King):
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid
There's no oatmeal in that one and it's higher in cal/cup (364 kcal/cup vs. 375 kcal/cup) and in protein (22% vs. 26%).

You can go to Solid Gold's website (Solid Gold Website (http://solidgoldhealth.com/)) to find a store near you: http://solidgoldhealth.com/stores/

I also use the Sea Meal and the doggies' digestion is helped a lot even though I don't give them even half of the recommended amount (they don't like the taste too much). But I would do either or in your case. Either continue with the Wellness and use the Sea Meal, or stop the Wellness and use another food alone for a while. If the doggy stablizes a bit then add the Sea Meal. You just don't want to change too much at once because then you will never know what the problem was to begin with.

(sorry this was so long)...:o

Angeleyes1437
June 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I was researching what you said about solid wolfcub. I think I may switch to that. Maximus has been doing fine if I feed him small portions at a time (like one cup every few hours)... but that gets hard to keep up with. However, I gave him 1 1/2 cups with the Solid Gold Sea Meal and he threw up not too long after...weird right? I think it was a fluke because I gave him a little more and then my boyfriends brother stopped by and got him all excited and started playing with him. Anyway... how is bison for dogs? I never fed a dog bison... never even heard anything about it- it's better than cow I would assume because they aren't as popular so probably less human added issues like steroids etc. (Me being a vegetarian I feel really bad speaking about this!)

Let me know what you think... I can't find anywhere online that evaluates dog foods. AND the food my vet wanted me to put him on...NO WAY! I/D prescription diet... I looked at their ingredients online...everything is like "chicken by- product" or wheat etc. Such BS! How do vet's know nothing about dog food or behavior? I guess it's whoever pays them to promote their product.

Prin
June 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Well, my doggies digest bison really well. Remeber though, when you add stuff to a sensitive doggy's diet, you should add very gradually and when you switch the foods, I'd say switch over at least a week.

I think the idea that you can't give him too much at a time might mean the food is just too dense for him. Like eating a pound of butter, you know? Too heavy, too hard to digest.

It's hard to compare foods. You can try to get samples of different foods and see which ones your doggy likes and his body doesn't mind.

The thing is, just because of Boo reacting the same way, I really think you should try any diet that has no chicken at all in it. Not even chicken fat. I think you really have to start there. JMO.

Angeleyes1437
June 17th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks Prin- You've been a lot of help. I definitely think I am going to call my vet tomorrow and let him know what I am doing. I am going to try the Solid Gold Wolf Cub... I dont like the idea of a food with poor ingredients. Do you all agree with me? I think I may be a little obsessed, but I don't care- I want my pups to have the best

Mockingcat
June 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
If we weren't obsessed, we wouldn't be here. ;)

My boyfriend once made the mistake of asking why I bought the food I did when Purina was cheaper. Half an hour later, he said he'd rather just buy the food I want than hear the reasons why. ;)

Luba
June 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Try just boiled chicken and potato with a little yogurt for 4/5 days, see if things improve. If they do it's probably the additives,colour, flavouring in the food.

ANY food with 'flavouring' is bad for you, it's bad for your dog
same with colouring and all that jazz!

I only home cook for my dog, can't stand dog foods, none of them. IMHO they all suck.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Prin- You've been a lot of help. I definitely think I am going to call my vet tomorrow and let him know what I am doing. I am going to try the Solid Gold Wolf Cub... I dont like the idea of a food with poor ingredients. Do you all agree with me? I think I may be a little obsessed, but I don't care- I want my pups to have the best
Once you learn about ingredients, it's hard to go back to feeding cheap, by-product/corn food... No matter how short on cash we are, I just can't do it. :)

Angeleyes1437
June 20th, 2005, 02:34 PM
:sorry:

Firstly I would like to apologize to raingrl.... I thought dairy in any sense was bad- but after poking around I did find out (not from my vet) that in small amounts it is good for them as well.

As for the food change, my vet feels I should put him on prescription I/D for approx. four weeks and see if his throwing up stops... however, he has only thrown up once since I've posted this. I still want to switch his food but not to a supermarket quality food that calls itself prescription! His stool is still pretty loose, so I know thats a problem... I am starting to use the sea meal- but I still need to switch his food and i'm leaning toward Solid Gold Wolfcub.

The only problem is, incase this is a more serious problem than sensitive stomach or allergies am I causing a problem for the elimination process with my vet? Should I put my dog on this low quality food for the time being? I don't feel like I should... but God forbid it's something worse!!

****Ingredients to the I/D prescription diet****
Corn meal, brewers rice, dried egg product, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), soy fiber, chicken liver flavor, vegetable oil, taurine, ethoxyquin (a preservative), minerals (dicalcium phosphate, salt, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement,, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

I see things I don't like... but I may not know the extent of it (as I don't know much about dog foods )... can someone help me out? :sad:

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 03:23 AM
If you put the doggy on I/D, you're not eliminating anything. All the stuff dogs are usually allergic to is IN the food already!! I don't know how the vet will figure out what allergy it is if he's on that food... :confused: That food would probably only benefit a dog who has a stomach thing that is going to go away with proper care, not a chronic allergy thing.

If Boo eats a chicken cookie or food, about a week later, he develops bacterial overgrowth, and it makes him really sick. If I wasn't such a pattern freak, I would never have linked the chicken with the puking. Never. Bacterial overgrowth can happen on its own, without an allergy. So they treat that over and over and he would have just kept on getting it.

Angeleyes1437
June 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM
If you put the doggy on I/D, you're not eliminating anything. All the stuff dogs are usually allergic to is IN the food already!! I don't know how the vet will figure out what allergy it is if he's on that food... :confused: That food would probably only benefit a dog who has a stomach thing that is going to go away with proper care, not a chronic allergy thing.

If Boo eats a chicken cookie or food, about a week later, he develops bacterial overgrowth, and it makes him really sick. If I wasn't such a pattern freak, I would never have linked the chicken with the puking. Never. Bacterial overgrowth can happen on its own, without an allergy. So they treat that over and over and he would have just kept on getting it.

You are right that is how I think about it... I mean, these ingredients are gross... REALLY gross! However, GOD FORBID this happened, but lets say it turned out to be something more serious, like cancer (again, God forbid) whould I be interfering with the troubleshooting process? I think it's a simple allergy of chicken to be honest... but you never know! I don't want to prevent the vet from finding the problem... however, if switching to Solid Gold WolfCub can make him all better why should I switch to a crappy food?

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM
The thing is, in my opinion, Wolf cub will not be hard to digest and most of its ingredients your doggy has never had before. I don't know if it is cancer- the odds of that are so slim at this pup's age... I would work on the belly first, by trying out allergies. To me, this would have cleared up already if it was just a gastroenteritis issue, and if it was cancer, would be getting worse. I could be totally wrong, but you have to do one thing at a time, and I was always told to start with allergies.

Angeleyes1437
June 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
The thing is, in my opinion, Wolf cub will not be hard to digest and most of its ingredients your doggy has never had before. I don't know if it is cancer- the odds of that are so slim at this pup's age... I would work on the belly first, by trying out allergies. To me, this would have cleared up already if it was just a gastroenteritis issue, and if it was cancer, would be getting worse. I could be totally wrong, but you have to do one thing at a time, and I was always told to start with allergies.

You are totally right! I wouldn't have even thought cancer until my boyfriends sister who is a nurse starting saying "it could be cancer ya know" not to be mean, but because she is really worried about him too. She is like "you have to bring him to the vet" and I would be like "I just got back" and she would say "bring him back, he looks sad- they have to do something" LOL... I would be like "They can't, what can they do?" Because she deals with health issues she was telling me a few human things that could cause this... the worst one being cancer. However, chances are that it's just an allergy.

I spoke to my vet today, and broke the news that I will not be switching to his I/D food- and he surprisingly agreed with me. So we will take it from here- I'm going to pick up Solid Gold Wolfcub today. Wish Maximus and me luck!! I will keep you updated. Thanks so much!!

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Make sure you switch gradually-- over at least a week.

Angeleyes1437
June 21st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Make sure you switch gradually-- over at least a week.

Yeah.. I know... it makes them very sick. I fought with my mother about it just this morning. She was like "I switched baby (her Rat Terrier) to her new dry food and now shes throwing up, should I switch her back to Eukanuba?" I was like "Did you do it over the course of a week or more?" (which I knew she didn't) and she was like "No!" and I was like "Well you're an idiot, now the poor dog is throwing up!!"... and now I feel bad I called her an idiot! LOL. I'm going to call her and apologize, lol... it's still funny to me though- what are mom's for if they don't piss you off occassionally?

Angeleyes1437
June 21st, 2005, 11:50 PM
I went to the Doggie Health food store here in Brooklyn to pick up a 4lb. bag of Solid Gold to try out with Max. I gave him about a eighth part of it with his Wellness... he threw up about 10 minutes later. I know this is bound to happen, so I will follow it through... however...

I was curious to know if anyone heard of Abady Dog food... they offer Lamb/Rice, Beef, chicken, etc... and even the raw food diet for dogs. Supposedly its for show quality dogs and is the "best food" according to the shop. I've heard of it before but couldn't remember the name while I was researching various foods. If solid gold doesn't work out that will probably be my next attempt...I was just curious of your opinions.

http://www.animaltreats.com/at_abady_prods.html

sarahandelvis
June 26th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I think if your dog has been sick for that long, and your vet now wants to feed that crap food to him - I'd go and get a second opinion if I were you.

And my Elvis *so far* has only developed a wheat allergy, but I know some dogs have allergies to any meat proteins, so any kibble other than a special allergy veggie diet will have the same problems.

Maybe you should try a little home cooked food just to test out if he throws that up too?

Angeleyes1437
June 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I think if your dog has been sick for that long, and your vet now wants to feed that crap food to him - I'd go and get a second opinion if I were you.

And my Elvis *so far* has only developed a wheat allergy, but I know some dogs have allergies to any meat proteins, so any kibble other than a special allergy veggie diet will have the same problems.

Maybe you should try a little home cooked food just to test out if he throws that up too?

I know, think I already posted that called him to tell him no way and he agreed with my decision!! LOL... it's all who is paying who. Thank you for your help.

I just switched Maximus onto Solid Gold completly and he seems to be doing WONDERFULLY!! ::knocking on wood::

I am SOOOO happy... hopefully this keeps up and he will be fine. I did some more research, turns out Wellness has a little more fruits and veggies than they should for a lot of pooches. Max, being one of them... that is probably why his stool was loose. As for throwing up, I think it was the chicken. However, as long as he is feeling better- I am happy! I will give you all an update in a week or so on his progress.

Thanks again!! I love this forum... you are all so wonderful!

Prin
June 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
YEY (so far). I hope it goes well. Does he ravage it? Every dog I know on Wolf King ravages it. You got the Wolf Cub right? I think any food with fish near the beginning of the ingredient list smells so good to doggies. :)

Angeleyes1437
June 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
YEY (so far). I hope it goes well. Does he ravage it? Every dog I know on Wolf King ravages it. You got the Wolf Cub right? I think any food with fish near the beginning of the ingredient list smells so good to doggies. :)

Yes I got the Wolf Cub, and ravage isn't the word!!! I usually keep it in a big sealed dog food container (looks kind of like a pretty garbage can) in the corner... since the Wolf Cub switch he has been opening the container. So I keep it up high now. He will sit and stare at the container, come get me and bring me to it like "more please". He has even filled out a little better in the past couple of days... I'm so happy!! :)

Thanks you so much!

DaniDunn
June 27th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Where do you get it? I've never heard of it before. All I have hear is a Petco, but I could go to St. Louis if it will help my baby girl feel better!

kandy
June 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I order my Wolfcub online because I couldn't find a dealer close to me. I order it from a place in New Jersey (I think) whose shipping charges are really, really cheap. They only charged me $16 in shipping for 99 lbs of food and that was with the extra $4 for expedited shipping. If you want to know where I get it, I'll pm you. Here is a link to the store locator on Solid Gold's website (they are the ones who make the Wolfcub)
http://solidgoldhealth.com/stores/

I don't order mine from this site though - I found a place that is cheaper for the food itself and ridiculously cheap for the shipping.

I'm glad he's feeling better! :)

Angeleyes1437
June 27th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Where do you get it? I've never heard of it before. All I have hear is a Petco, but I could go to St. Louis if it will help my baby girl feel better!

I get it from a International Pet Food Store by me. They don't sell pets... which I like. You can use the solid gold website to search for distributors near you. http://solidgoldhealth.com/stores/

I really love the food, and apparently so does Maximus! Good luck with your lil' girl. Let us know how everything goes.

Angeleyes1437
June 27th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Kandy- guess I should have read your post first, lol!!! Thanks.

Prin
June 28th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Here's the Solid Gold site, if you want to see their other stuff. I can only guarantee that the Bison and Salmon ones are tasty... Apparently, the Lamb and Rice one ain't so great (hund-n-flocken).

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com

Another food I like to give once in a while as a treat is Merrick. Their canned food is better than what I eat... (a bit expensive though)
http://www.merrickpetcare.com