Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

summer care - too much heat

Ginger Green
June 8th, 2005, 06:47 PM
It hit 90 degrees today - our backyard has plenty of shade and fresh water - how long can my dogs be outside in this type of temperature? :usa:

I have a wheaten and a mini schnauzer

GG

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 06:52 PM
i personally would say no more then an hour, if its hot for you its probably doubly so for your dogs considering their fur.

Eleni

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 07:34 PM
They should only go out to do their business maybe sniff around a bit then right back indoors. Plenty of fresh COLD water for them on days like that.

It's OVER 90 in the shade here these days. I take my girl out for longer periods in the evening after the sun has set and we go for evening walks.

:D

levimh
June 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I'd say depends on whether or not it's more hot inside or not. My house gets really stuffy and hot in the summer, so I like to take Levi outside, in the shade. Sometimes my house can be like a hot car...it's hot and sticky and there's not much air moving through - even with windows open wide.

I always keep an eye open too, so that could help in your situation. If your dogs are outside and look extremely uncomfortable, then bring them inside.