Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chronic Cat Diarrhea (pleasant I know!)

meli299
June 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Hi all, I need help!

My adorable, energetic, one-year-old kitten has had a problem with loose stools since we got him at the age of three months. He is an indoor cat with no visible habit of chewing/eating foreign objects.

He used to soil himself every time he went to the litterbox, occasionally leaving remnants on the floor, but since seems to have learned how to avoid that. His diarrhea, on the other hand, is getting worse.

At first, our vet - who ruled out parasites - recommended a hypo-allergenic food, which made his stools even looser. She then prescribed apo-metronidazole for ten days. This worked temporarily, but the problem came back as soon as we stopped the pills. Now we are trying a low-residue food along with a homeopathic remedy (ColiVET), which is having absolutely no effect.

As an added complication, it is impossible for me to prevent this cat from eating what my other cat (whose weight we are trying to control but who is otherwise normal) eats and vice-versa, which means that whatever foods we try need to be suitable for both.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Could be irritable bowel disease.

Here is a link that gives tons of info!
http://www.vetinfo.com/cdiarrhea.html

Karin
June 8th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Could also be coccidia. Pancreatic enzyme deficency...many possibilties.
I would go with a bland diet until the culprit is found.

NutmegHF
June 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
What are the reasons for cat and dog diarrhea? Again, dietary indiscretion is the prime reason though there may be parasites, bacteria, foreign body ingestion, inflammatory bowel, pancreatitis, liver disease and so on. If it continues for more than 24-48 hours after a 12-24 hour fast, your pet should be seen by your vet.

I usually recommend a 12-24 hours fast to allow the system to clean out and allowing the pet small amounts of liquids during the fast. Prepare a broth of vegetables , rice, some meat or a bone. drop or two of soya sauce to enhance flavor this also provides easily assimilated amino acids and sodium. Give only the liquid several times a day.. and nothing more. Till after the treatment.

Then should be followed with a bland diet of raw meat boiled rice or potato in small amounts until the symptoms subside, then slowly return to it's normal meal.

Are there over the counter and prescription medications that can be used for cats and dogs with diarrhea? Slippery Elm may be helpful (Dr. Pitcairn's Guide to Natural Health of Dogs and Cats, Rodale Press).

Again for dogs and cats, kaopectate may help 1 tsp every 3 hours at onset.( weight depending )for a couple of days.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Activated charcoal sold in drugstores as a powder or capsule form.. will absorb toxins.. drugs.. poisons or other irritants in the system. Mix it with water and give it by mouth every 3 hours over a 24 hour period except over sleeping time. This short course is best. 1/2 tsp. of powder or 2 capsules or tablets crushed. Use syringe to give.

Garlic stimulates the digestive organs liver and gallbladder and very useful if parasites might be the cause. " Kyrolic " liquid tablets are acceptable to most animals. 2 capsules 3 times a day for 3 days. or if you cat likes garlic try 1/4 tsp of juice from fresh squeezed garlic bud thinned with water equalling 1 tsp. X 3 daily.

Homeopathic Remedy.. If fresh blood or mucus is being passed with straining.. Use Hyland's Combination Tablet #16 Give 1-2 tablets every hour till symptoms improve.. then reduce to 3 hours.. gradually to 4 as to do a tapering effect.. There should be clear improvement.. in a day or two.. then only use if the symptoms return.

Once recovery is on its way.. Try getting pet to have some yogourt with good acidophilus bacteria in it to replenish the good bacteria..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeopathic remedies that may help are 1. Podophyllum 30c- if there is liquid with gas
2. Pulsatilla 30c if there is a yellow stool or if it changes from stool to stool and if your pet is whiny.
3. Arsenicum 30c is great if you think they got into any rotten food stuff.
all the above homeopathics can be given orally at one dose every few hours for three treatments. If it doesn't help, go to the next remedy.

Usually if this persists beyond this time, or if the pet looks depressed, you should probably take it in to your Veterinarian.

Michael Goldberg DVM

JenSteele
June 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Both of my cats go through these bouts if we suddenly change their food when you run out at the last minute or if we give them soft food at all trying to give them a treat.. Cats are the bulimics of the animal kingdom and people get concerned if the food isn't staying down that they quickly switch and switch and switch in search of the right food. Every time I've heard of someone doing that.. poof there's a problem with diarrhea. We went with the Iams line from kitten on up and the little furtraps are heathier than ever.. they're still occasionally bulimics but that's part of having cats.. They get fresh tuna every now and then which stays down nicely to make sure their protien levels stay where they should and their coats stay nice and shiney and healthy and with hard food their litter isn't so smelly either and their teeth stay cleaner longer..

Just my opinion
Jen