Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dislocated knee caps???

SarahLynn123
June 8th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I was at the vet today with Wolf because he is very very ill. (Puking yellow and pooping blood) as she was checking him over she noticed that both knee caps dis-locate quite often. One is so bad that its rarely in the socket, and the other one is in the socket but pops out quite often which is why he walks so stiff. He also hops on 3 legs a few times on our walk, he is trying to pop his knee cap back in place.

She used a term/condition but I cant remember it. We can get surgery to fix this if we like, its a referral surgary and will cost around $1000-$2000 per leg :eek:

Does anyone know anything about this? She said he's not in pain and not to worry about it right now but he could get arthritis very early in life. There is no way we can afford that! we cant even get insurance becasue we know about it before hand. If anyone knows anything about this or has experience with it please let me know some tips and any info

Thanks
Sarah

(Wolf is a 3 year old Male Neutered Pomeranian)

Mockingcat
June 8th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I think the term for it is luxating patella... I know I've probably butchered the spelling, please forgive me. I don't know a lot about it first hand... I know it can run genetically, and that poodles can tend to have it alot.

SarahLynn123
June 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I think the term for it is luxating patella... I know I've probably butchered the spelling, please forgive me. I don't know a lot about it first hand... I know it can run genetically, and that poodles can tend to have it alot.

Thank you!!! Thats the term I was looking for. I recognized it right when I read it. I will search around and see what I can find.

Since it can be genetic chances are he was from a not so good breeder right? :sad:

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Peanut was a one year old Pomeranian and had the same thing, luxating patellas. It is quite common in poms. Our vet suggested leaving it be as it did not restrict his movement, play etc and that in his older years he would most likely need meds or if critical then the surgery. I think as long as it isn't bothering him or restricting him playing, etc... then leave it be. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

Mockingcat
June 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Well, I guess it depends. If this breeder has a big history of this happening, then probably not. However, sometimes genetic problems can turn up in a line that have been reccessive. I would talk to your breeder and let them know. If they seem uncaring about it, it's probably happened a lot before. You could ask them if it's appeared in their lines beforehand or not.

*hugs* Sorry you're having to go through all this. I know it can be rough to be handed such a huge bill on a family member and be told that this is the only way to make them more comfortable for life.

There is a place called http://www.carecredit.com that will let you borrow money for health and vet emergencies... you may want to consider them, depending on what your research comes up with. :)

Angeleyes1437
June 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
My late mini poodle Suzy had this problem in her back left leg. Considering we got her from a pet store when I was 5... in 1987 (because we didn't know any better) she was probably from a puppy mill and most probably a subject to bad breeding. However, she did live 17 wonderful years with me!

What would happen is it would occasionally pop out and she would sit, trying to pop it back in by leaning against it. The vet would give us anti-inflammatory medication to use when it acted up. However, because of the intensity and cost of the procedure he recommended against it because in her case it was extremely minor. Figure it may have happened 4-5 times in her 17 years alive. Yet she always walked three legged down the stairs... giving the left hind leg a little break because it may have felt uncomfortable.

First of all... to help prevent premature arthritis I would recommend giving Wolf glucosimine chondrotin (may have spelled it wrong). Get the gel caps with powder inside and put a pill over his food each day.

As for the surgery... if Wolf is so young I would only imagine it getting worse with age. If he is in pain then all I could say is get it done soon so you don't have to put him down later simply because of a knee problem. As they get older it is more and more dangerous to put them under anesthesia. It is really a question only you, knowing Wolf and knowing your finances can make. I wouldn't want to say "DO IT!" and make you feel bad if you can't... all I can say is I don't want any dog to live in pain. I'm sure you don't want Wolf to live in pain either. So all you have to know is if he is in pain.

I hope my post was helpful to you.

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Mockingcat, I beleive wolf is a rescue dog she has had only for a few weeks, so she probably can't talk to his breeder.

I know how much it sucks to get a rescue who has pre-existing health problems. Odin's eye problems are expensive and not covered by his insurance, but we still got insurance as there is a likely change he will get hip dysplasia or other illnesses common to bulldogs at some point.

SarahLynn123
June 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Wolf is a rescue but I have all his papers from the breeder, should I contact them to let them know? Thanks for the link mockingcat, I will look into it.

I have to do some research but from what I can tell he walks stiff legged quite often and has to pop his one knee cap into place seceral times on a walk. The other one maybe once or twice a walk. Where can I get glucosimine chondrotin from? He is very sick at the moment (some bacterial imbalance) so I will probably wait until we get this figured out then start him on it. Would It be good to give my other dogs as well? Shadow is 8 year old German Shephard and is starting to slow down a bit.

Thanks for all the help! It was kind of a shocker going into the vet becasue he was really sick and comming out with a $2000-$4000 problem!

Thanks again
Sarah

BMDLuver
June 9th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Poor little guy. He sounds like he is far more advanced than little peanut was. I'm not sure where you are located but perhaps someone will have a suggestion to help with funds for the surgery should it need to be done soon?

SarahLynn123
June 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Im in Calgary and really this couldn't have been found at a worse time. I just quit my job to go back to school in the fall. It doesn't seem to bother him at all though, I just notice that he stretches his back legs alot. He fly's down the stairs at top speed everyday, I would think if he were in any pain he would take his time! The vet said to keep an eye on it and not to worry about it right now. This is the first I have ever heard of this condition, so he may not be as bad as it sounds becasue I have no clue what to look for, and have never had a regular Pom to compare him to!

When we are walking/running off leash should I carry him part of the way to give him some breaks? It cant be easy for him to keep up with the other 2, they could run and play forever if I let them! Also should I limit his playing or should I just let him go as he pleases? My little cousins love to play with him and vise versa but I dont want him to get worse or hurt.

Thanks for all the info and help!
Sarah