Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The best thing for my plants

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I have a bad whitefly infestation going on with my plants. My hibiscus is looking really sad (but new leaves are growing so I know it's not dead) and my herbs and naustersums are pretty sad looking.

I tried using a natural insecticidal soap and it didn't work. I don't want to use anything chemical. I tried finding Neem oil to spray, but no one has any!! Grr (I guess the non-plant people probably have no idea what I am talking about)

I know keeping them indoors isn't helping (I don't have an outdoor balcony) as the lack of air flow and natural predators are just making the white flies worse.

I was thinking of asking friends and relatives if they would take the plants for a month for the white flys to dissipate. My sister would hapily watch the plants all summer I'm sure, and I could water them for her. I'm not sure I trust anyone else to take them. Do you think I would be imposing too much if I asked her to take them and put them on her deck?

It's sad...my window sills are going to look so naked! I know it's the best thing for my plants but it's sad. They are my babies (next to Odin of course).

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I do not think that is asking to much of her! I mean it is not like she has to take them to the bathroom, etc. I think she would be fine with it. What is a white fly?

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Whitefly is the nastiest of the plant pests. A little white fly...size of a fruit fly. One fly can lay 300 eggs. The eggs stick to the back of the leaves. When they hatch, the larvae suck the juices out of the leaves as they grow.

So...they are very hard to kill. The non-chemical way is to drown the eggs and adults with a superfine oil so that they can't breath. I tried that, but problem is you never get all the flying ones. You miss one, and it can lay more eggs..so you have to continuously spray for weeks and weeks. I have been doing that and I still haven't got them all.

And the biggest problem is my Nausterums. They are a "sensitive" plant and anything on their leaves like oil or spray will kill them.

If I REALLY wanted to, I could buy some powerful chemical (called systemic insecticide) that I put in the soil that the plant would take up, and it would kill the larvae when the suck the chemical in the leaves, but I have never done that before and I'm too nervous to try it.

I'm not even sure how I will get my Hibiscus over to her house. It's 5 feet tall and in a huge container (at least it's on wheels). I guess I could tie a rope around it and just pull it over..she is about a 10 minute walk from here. Maybe I will go borrow her wagon.

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 04:08 PM
LOL I can just imagine walking down the road and seeing you and Odin pulling a wagon with a huge plant in it. LOL Sorry not trying to laugh just funny to think about. Look there goes Raingirl! :D :D :D :D

lilith_rizel
June 8th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Raingirl,

My mom always asked her fahter to take her plants if they weren't doing well, and he loved it. There were so many times that he had to rescue my mom's hibiscus.....

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'll call my sis and ask her tonight. Maybe she can bring her van by.

Yeah, it would be funny watching Odin and me and a wagon of plants! Odin doesn't like moving objects so much. He's a wimp. He is afraid of my "granny cart" (little grocery cart thing).

nymph
June 8th, 2005, 04:23 PM
My hibiscus suffered the same whitefly infestation, and as of last weekend, I got rid of it and bought a new one. :D

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Oh...I can't get rid of this one. THis hibiscus is special. Unlike ones you buy in stores, this one is a registered variety and actually had a name! It's not a common red or pink or yellow.

It's called "Lutea". I don't know anyone who has them anymore and it is a rare variety to find. Even people in the US don't see them often. So it CAN'T DIE! I won't let it! (I got it a greenhouse...didn't know it was a Lutea until I got home! Rare find!)

http://www.hodnik.com/catalog/images/HIBISCUS_LUTEA.jpg

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
i never could keep my hibiscus alive, might have something to do with forgetting to water plants for oh a month or more

lol all my plants are fake for a reason

Eleni

Jackie467
June 8th, 2005, 04:30 PM
We have three hibiscus in our backyard that look exactly like that. We used to have one in front but we tore it out. I didn't know they were rare, everyone in our housing development has them, just like that with the creamy yellow color outside and the red inside. They are very beautiful. I hope you can figure out how to save it.

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM
If it dies jackie I might have to hit you up for a cutting!