Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Passive Resistance?

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Anyone elses dog practise passive resistance??

When Odin doesn't want to do something (like a bath or go out or getting out of a room or something) he lies on the floor and sticks his feet in the air like he wants a belly rub. It's cute as heck, but you can't pick him up when he does that and you can't move him.

Today our super came and fixed the window in our solarium (there is this plastic suff around it that was falling off) so when I opened the door to let him in, Odin ran into the hall. He loves the super! However, he wouldn't come back in! I went to get him so he plops down on the ground and wouldn't move. I eventually just propped the door open and washed the dishes until he decided to come back in. He was sitting at the door the entire time just looking at me like "hahahah you can't make me come in!". When I would move to get him he would dart around like it was a game. When he heard the super's drill, he ran in though. It was funny.

He went down the hall a couple of times to his friend's door wanting to play with him, but I don't think they were home.

What's really cute is when he does it at night before we take him for his final walk. He is sometimes so tired as soon as he sees the harness, he plops down and won't let us put it on him.

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 03:14 PM
My middle one (16 mos) will go limp when we attempt to remove her from the bed before we shut off the lights at night. She can make herself feel like 40lbs of jello when she wants to.

nymph
June 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM
hey raingirl, I just saw this picture and immediately thought of Odin! Sorry for thread hijack.

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 03:41 PM
OMG that is so cute. I also kinda feel sorry for the dog. Imagine the problems as he is albino and cleaning out all those wrinkles.

yeah...i guess kids do it too...when they don't want to be picked up they get all "slimey"

levimh
June 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
There's a dog like that that goes to the dog park near me. When his owner goes to leave and he puts the leash on the dog, the dog will just roll onto the ground and not move. It's cute to watch.

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Yep. Sounds like Odin. He does it on walks too. If he doesn't want to go yet or wants to go in the other direction, as long as we are on grass, he will lay down and not move. If we are on pavement, he just stands there.

Lissa
June 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM
It does sound and I'm sure looks very cute but when it comes down to it, if you "command" your dog to come or move would they listen?
A friend of the family had a beagle like that but now, if you try to move her she growls and snaps. At first they thought it was cute that she claimed a part of the couch as her own but now she's like "I'm NOT moving, ya see my teeth!!??" When I dog-sit she doesn't get away with it because she not only attacks me but goes after Dodger -and THAT'S crossing the line!!!!! ;)

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Oh. Odin comes if we use the command come. But we don't use the command come in the house (as per our trainer). He doesn't get away with it either when he does it. He does only about once or twice a month. When he does it, he doesn't win. When it comes to bath time, if he does it, we make him get up and carry him before he tries to lay down again. I just didn't fight with him because I was talking with the super as he needed to know where to do the repairs.

levimh
June 8th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Just curious, but why can't/don't you use the come command in the house?

glasslass
June 8th, 2005, 08:16 PM
If Den-Den's not in the mood to do a trick, he'll stand up and stretch - one long stretch after another. It's a delaying tactic.

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I don't know how to explain it the way that our trainer did. Basically, come needs to work when it really matters. If you use it all the time and in the house, it can lose it's effectiveness. I that's not exactly what it means, but they suggested we use a different command for the same action when in the house or a building. In the house, we say "Odin, where are you?" and he will come running!

levimh
June 8th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Oh, I see. That makes sense. I might try that!

twinmommy
June 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Yep. We call ours "The Protest Marcher" !!! :D

No matter how quietly I take the nail cutter out of the drawer...that makes him freeze every time!! He also loves my dad, and refuses to leave when our visit is over.... ;)