Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Miniature Horse Mauled By Pit Bulls

heidiho
June 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
SAN ANTONIO -- The Bexar County Sheriff's Department is trying to track down the owner of two pit bulls after the animals killed a prized miniature horse.

Miniature horse breeder Jeremy Beale said he found the horse, "Smokey," lying in the corner of his pen last Wednesday.

"He was breathing through a hole in his neck," Beale said. "His neck was completely full of puncture wounds. His muzzle was covered in puncture wounds."

Beale said he's worried the dogs will attack a child.

Beale said he's warning his neighbors in the Cooksey Road area near Loop 1604 and Highway 87 to be on the lookout for the two pit bulls that killed the 200-pound horse.

"They mauled him," said Beale. "There was no trying to eat him or anything -- they just chewed him up. They completely ripped off one ear right at the skull," he said.

Beale said one of the black pit bulls had a white chest and legs. He said both dogs appeared to be well cared for.

Beale said that Smokey's owners have offered a reward to help track down the owner of the pit bulls.

Copyright 2005 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

kandy
June 8th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Oh - I feel so bad for the poor mini horse! To think how he must've suffered! :sad: But the horse owner says that he found him in a corner of his pen - so how does he know that it was two pit bulls that attacked him? I hope this isn't a case of mistaken identity, but of course no one will question that because he's accusing pit bulls. :mad: :mad:

Vas
June 9th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I think these were pit bulls. I hear one story after another about pit bulls killing owners, other pets and now horses. Recently I read about two family pitbulls that killed a girl (daugther of owners). I know there are lots ofs other vicious dogs that just don't get spotlight in the news, but I just cannot stand any agressive dogs! :mad:

kandy
June 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Any dog can be aggressive - its not just pitbulls. The breed doesn't matter - it's the way the dog is raised. It's just that you very seldom hear anything about a dog attack unless it's a pit. I was just saying that I hope this wasn't a case of mistaken identity and that the accused dogs were really the culprits and not accused just because they are pits who happen to live close by. People see a pit and automatically assume that the dog is going to be aggressive. Personally, I've known lots of people with pits, and not one of them was anything but a big baby! As I've seen many times on this site - Punish the deed, not the breed.

heidiho
June 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I agree,pitbulls do get a bad rap....Blame the owner not the dog.

Vas
June 9th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Pit Bulls can be very loving and sweet to people but they are animal agressive. They were raised for hunting and even dog fighting (in the past)!
Pit bull owners need extra socialization for their dogs so they can be friendly with other animals also. And you cannot always count on people to do the job properly.

Angeleyes1437
June 10th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Pit Bulls can be very loving and sweet to people but they are animal agressive. They were raised for hunting and even dog fighting (in the past)!
Pit bull owners need extra socialization for their dogs so they can be friendly with other animals also. And you cannot always count on people to do the job properly.

You are right... "Pit Bulls" (a group of breeds, not one)... were bred to hunt other animals. However, go through your breed list and see how many dogs weren't bred for that. Much less than 50% huh? I'll be generous and give it a %50. SO many other breeds are considered animal aggressive, however they do not have a bad rap at all. It's never the breed, it's always the owner. I lost my poodle of 17 years last year and now have an American Pit Bull Terrier who is a sweet mush. Granted he is socialized well and I am a responsible dog owner. Thats what matters.

Yet, Golden Retrievers are supposed to be very friendly and one of my friends GR's tried to destroy him about a month ago...before he even got within 10 feet of him... and just yesterday one picked up my sisters Jack Russell Terrier by the back and began to shake him until I tackled her. I've been bitten three times in my life... all by German Shepherds (Irony, lol). Yet I would own a Golden Retriever or a Shepherd in a second. "Pit Bulls" make good news... and many times take the rap for other breeds. They were actually bred to be a GREAT breed with humans! Although you can get them not to be... nature or nuture? I say nuture.

Now I'm not a fan girl... I know all breeds are capable of anything, but I'm not breedist and certainly to not believe media hype. Which is exactly why I got an APBT... to show people it's not always what channel 7 reports.

Additionally... any dogs loose, just roaming tend to form a pack and hunt. Do wolves hunt horse-like animals? Thats not an oddity... those dogs, regardless of breed should not have been roaming around. However, your post just shocked me because you seemed so bias against the breeds.

Angeleyes1437
June 10th, 2005, 01:42 AM
By the way... I'm going to hell. I forgot to even mention the poor horse. I feel HORRIBLE for that horse... I LOVE horses. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight thinking about that poor horse having to suffer. :sad:

Vas
June 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
First of all, sorry if I was too harsh. I'm not agaisnt pitbulls. But I'm affraid of any dogs that exhibit such aggresion. My father was badly bitten on a leg when he was biking and I saw a pitbull attack a young puppy...

By the way, here in Canada there are the sweetest and the most lovable dogs I have ever seen! They're all so friendly, I just want to pet everyone! :)

You are right... "Pit Bulls" (a group of breeds, not one)... were bred to hunt other animals. However, go through your breed list and see how many dogs weren't bred for that. Much less than 50% huh? I'll be generous and give it a %50.

I've read that pit bulls were originally bred not only for hunting but for fighting and bullbaiting and later for dog fighting until this " entertainment" was banned. I don't know how many of these 50% were used for bullbaiting...

I know they can be very affectionate and friendly if in the right hands! My neigbhour has a pitbull. I have never seen bigger tongue when he greets his owner. :love:

Additionally... any dogs loose, just roaming tend to form a pack and hunt. Do wolves hunt horse-like animals? Thats not an oddity...

When my dog forms a pack with others they "hunt" a tennis ball or a playmate! :)
I understand what you want to say. I'm sure that you have a wonderful dog and you're a wonderful owner. Good luck!

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Most of the bully breeds or even terriers were bred for bull baiting and what not! But you don't see Bulldogs(like Raingirl's dog) being banned!

Beaglemom
June 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM
The English Bull Terrier was a very aggressive dog fighter and baiter back in the day. Breeders have practically bred this trait out of them. Don't get me wrong, if challenged they will not back down from a fight, but they don't normally go out looking for one either. They have become known as the clowns of the dog world and make great family pets for the right owner. If properly socialized they are wonderful dogs.

I don't like people blaming the dogs because of what breed they are. Dogs are what you make them. If bred and raised properly, they make great companions! All dogs, regardless of breed can be aggressive, whether towards people or animals, if not socialized properly. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Angeleyes1437
June 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM
When my dog forms a pack with others they "hunt" a tennis ball or a playmate! :)
I understand what you want to say. I'm sure that you have a wonderful dog and you're a wonderful owner. Good luck!

You are right... the majority of times they won't form a vicious pack- but that is not always the case. That is all I am saying. If my dog got out with my sisters dogs and starting roaming they would probably attack people with kisses... but again, depends on the dogs.

"Bull" breeds were bred for Bull Baiting and fighting, hence the name. However, this was a long long time ago (Aside from the lowlife idiots who should be hung for still doing the cruel sport). So I'm sure there are vicious ones out there... but the majority are not. We should ban these people and really crack down. Read about the underground sport online... it's really heartbreaking.

Vas
June 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Most of the bully breeds or even terriers were bred for bull baiting and what not! But you don't see Bulldogs(like Raingirl's dog) being banned!

Bulldogs are very diffrent from any other breed.They are known for being very patient with children and for their qiet and calm behavior.They have no longer any inclination towards any type of fighting acitivities. So why ban Bulldogs?
Pitbulls are loving dogs, but unfortunatly until nowadays they are the most popular breed for dog fighting and and for this matter aggresive dog breeding. These dogs must be protectected from being abused by idiots instead...
I think that people who decided to ban pit bulls thought that most owners of this breed are big bad boys whose intentions were not getting a chihuahua or a toy poodle to put ribbons on its ears. :angel: