Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are you?

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
With the post going on about the way cattle, pigs,etc are treated I was just wondering how many people ate meat or do not eat meat. Thought this would give us an idea of how many did what. :D

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
i eat meat,

mostly chicken but i cant resist the occasional steak or omelette

i dont drink dairy but thats only because im intolerant

Eleni

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Can you not drink milk at all? I mean can you eat like cheese and stuff like that or nothing with milk in it. Did you vote?

Bearsmom
June 8th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I'm a big fan of chicken, and red meats. I need to keep up an intake of red meats because I'm anemic, and plus, I love it.

AND as far as I'm concerned, red meat gets onto this planet nicely packaged on a styrofoam tray with plastic wrap on it.

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I'm a big fan of chicken, and red meats. I need to keep up an intake of red meats because I'm anemic, and plus, I love it.

AND as far as I'm concerned, red meat gets onto this planet nicely packaged on a styrofoam tray with plastic wrap on it.

You crack me up! I am sure that is how it gets here. LOL :D I had a pack of chicken the other day out and was getting ready to make it for hubby and the phone rang. So I ran to get the phone and come back down stairs and Meater and Chino and the kittens are all standing around in the kitchen I run to see what they are doing and they have the chicken. LOL Wicked animals I tell you! :evil:

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
i *just* voted, diddnt see the option the first time i posted,

i can have some dairy products, milk does a bad number on my stomach, and so does ice cream

i can ahve the cheese that is processed. I still suffer soemtimes and drink a little milk, or ahve a bit of ice cream, but most times i dont, its not worth the tummy upset.

theres pills to help intolerance, but i never found them to help that much

Eleni

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
My Dad's girlfriend's daughter can not drink milk, etc. She went to a birthday party the other night and had to be picked up because she had some icecream and her stomach was crapping so bad and she was sick. I wonder what makes people's stomachs do that?

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM
dont quote me on this but this is my understanding,

some people are unable to digest lactose and that causes the stomach problems

ELeni

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/

the link is one to some info for info junkies like myself :)

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
They don't have enough of the enzyme needed to break down the sugars in milk. It's called lactose Intolerance. Lactose is the sugar in milk. Lactase is the enzyme you can take so you can have milk.

My friend is lactose intolerant, and she takes lactase daily in a natural supplement, and now she can have any kind of dairy product. Her doc said it was better to take lactase (since it is natural) daily then to risk getting osteoporosis from not getting enough calcium.

nymph
June 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'm a meat lover, chicken, red meats, seafood, I love the color, the smell the taste of a tenderly cooked meat...but I would like to become a vegetarian someday. My grandma was a vegetarian.

Bearsmom
June 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=Princesss04]You crack me up! I am sure that is how it gets here. QUOTE]

Definitely, I can't imagine it arriving in any other form.

Oh, and I don't eat pork chops, the smell of them makes me extremely ill (the only trigger smell that made me yak when I was preggers)

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I love all farm animals .... especially barbqued. Carnivore all the way. Gotta use those canine teeth for something. :thumbs up

Trinitie
June 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I don't eat enough veggies, but I already know that. Not a big fan of mushrooms, can't eat peppers (taste bud HELL), LOVE seafood (ok, crab and lobster).

Not a vegetarian, but am friends with some, so pretty good at cooking veggies. :D

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Oh Trin I love crab! :D

Rick C
June 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I eat meat and fish.

I hate peppers and zucchini. I like raisins but not raisins in cookies or carrot cakes and what not.

I'm surrounded by cows on my acreage too!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jessi76
June 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I voted I eat meat, BUT, I do only eat organic. Primarily for health reasons, I can't tolerate the hormones that are pumped into the regular meat supply, so I choose hormone-free (organically raised) meats.

CyberKitten
June 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
The list does not really include me (so is not mutually exclusive or exhaustive - am always having to tell my students that when they set up research projects but I know, this is just for FUN!!) - b/c I eat meat but.....
You need a category for ppl who are meat eaters with restrictions and I bet that involves a fairly large group. I absolutely will NEVER eat beef.

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Sorry CyberKitten I did not think of that! :D

melanie
June 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
i am a lacto vegetarian and have been for 18yrs, became vegetarian as a child by choice, i was 10yrs old... my dairy farming parents respected my decision and have ever since....lacto means i take milk and dairy, you also get lacto ovarian vegetarians (takes eggs and milk) and so on....(dont eat eggs as i just dont like them for a variety of reasons)

yes i have been anemic plenty of times but i take suppliments that fix that, meat is not required to stop anemia, i am no longer anemic..its actually a bit of a furffy the belief that meat supplies the highest level of iron, there are veges out there that provide jsut as much iron, and take less iron and energy to process therefore getting the best out of the product, the energy and iron used to process the meat in your body is very high and can often almost discount the new iron coming in.....food for thought

a vegetarian is a person that does not consume any flesh of others at all, that includes fish, birds, reds etc....no meat. if you eat fish you cannot possibly be a vegarian, fish feel pain to as do all animals you eat...

i honestly would starve to death by choice if meat was all i had, i jsut would never eat it as i see it as a mortal sin (if there is such a thing to you)...i woudl ratehr die than consume it anyday.....

also after18yrs my body would no longer tolerate such products and i would be poisioned, my dr also agrees with this....

i once had a piece of quich, i threw up for days, the dr said it was an overload of that crap for the system.....wow you must all feel toxic all the time...

i live on a wonderful array of veges and such, i have a full diet that is incredibly healthy, meets all my requirements, varied and very very yummy.....

perhaps i would not be so disgusted with meat consumption if meat eaters were honest and just admitted that they like the taste of flesh and blood....instead of all the excuses about iron levels, teeth, bodies and all the crap i have heard over the years....be honest with yourselves
i

iRONKNiGHT
June 8th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Veggie all the way :)
NOT VEGAN...
ohh wait we did this Topic back in da day! LOL
Back in September ;)
Original Thread:
Are you Vegetarian,Vegan or Meat Eater? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6929)

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 07:03 PM
BearsMom Oh, and I don't eat pork chops, the smell of them makes me extremely ill (the only trigger smell that made me yak when I was preggers)
I acn't stand the smell of any pork, I understand completely ( have never been pregnant, and am very scared of what my triggers might be. i get sick at the smell of Eggs as well)

april21h1
June 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I eat meat but mostly it is chicken, ground beef or peppered steak. I found out I am allergic to soy. I break out in a really bad rash just from having chicken fried rice if it is meduim brown. I don't want to know what would happen if I had some tofu. :sick: It is in my family medical history to develop allergies as I age. My mom is allergic to alot of stuff and the allergies are still developing.

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Well, Melanie, I'll be the first to admit that I love the taste of flesh. I also have my own beliefs about eating meat, but yes, I love a good hunk of flesh. A buddy of mine used to joke that they would never slow down near a field of cows because they were afraid I would be chasing one across the field with a knife and fork. I told them that was silly. I don't carry a knife and fork with me at all.

But, I do believe that I am healthier eating meat, given my activities. I don't believe that I would be in the shape I'm in with working out without meat. The amount of protein I need given my workouts, I would go broke trying to substitute with other foods and supplements. And I can only drink so many chalk drinks.

melanie
June 8th, 2005, 10:21 PM
yay 4 schwinn, lol, i envision you running after a cow, :D , good on ya mate, thats what i like to hear, a bit of honesty from a man who lieks his meat yay....

my only fear of meat eaters- well i have always thought if you run out of meat i am stuffed :D you may just realise that i have been feed good greens and grain for many years making my meat less gamy and very tasty, but my sister promises me that she would NEVER let anyone eat me.... :D :p

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 10:24 PM
my only fear of meat eaters- well i have always thought if you run out of meat i am stuffed :D you may just realise that i have been feed good greens and grain for many years making my meat less gamy and very tasty, but my sister promises me that she would NEVER let anyone eat me.... :D :p

You're safe from me...I hate health food. :D

CyberKitten
June 8th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I can honestly say I never thought about meat as flesh, ewwwwwww!! I still like most meat tho and that has nothing to do with flesh whatever anyone thinks. I eat meat b/c I grew up that way, it tastes good - chicken anyway - I am no fan of hm or pork but I do like my bacon.

katy82
June 8th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I don't eat beef or pork and haven't eaten it in about 8 or 9 years. Thats just a matter of personal preference though. For some reason I just don't like the taste or the smell or the texture. Kind of weird. I LOVE seafood though and I eat lots of chicken. I couldn't vote because it doens't have that option. Oh well!

Princesss04
June 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Veggie all the way :)
NOT VEGAN...
ohh wait we did this Topic back in da day! LOL
Back in September ;)
Original Thread:
Are you Vegetarian,Vegan or Meat Eater? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6929)

Sorry iRONKNiGHT did not mean to repost we can close it if the mods like! :D

mrjohndoe
June 9th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I worked for five years in the corporate hog industry. Over that time I watched the size of the average farm balloon and the average space a piggy was kept in shrink. As ownership changed we moved from one phone call away to "family owners" to corporate operation managers.

The last farm I worked at really opened my eyes to where things are heading. No fostering of little piggies in order to get more cholostrum -- if they are not in the weight range at weaning time (also another issue with me, come on 10 -14 days??) the piglets are to be culled which is a nice word for saying "killed". To me this was a waste and unproven scientifically or through personal experience.

The other thing that irked me is that in a corporate environment they ship a pig after 3 years when I personally have worked with animals up to ten years of age who are still good mom's.

I loved working with the animals, I love animals but, the politics and other crap isn't for me. Also, as meat prices have increased the actual farmer's share has decreased ie. this means everyone in the middle is profiting from the exploitation and creation of another soulless industry!

That's my rant for the day.

Copper'sMom
June 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I eat meat but not alot of it! I'm a super picky eater!! IF i have to prepare raw meat for cooking, I usually lose my appetite in the process. When it is raw, it grosses me out - especially chicken(raw). :yuck:

Luckily, my fiance does most of the cooking!!!!

iRONKNiGHT
June 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Sorry iRONKNiGHT did not mean to repost we can close it if the mods like! :D
No it's fine :) add's for further reading..

kandy
June 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Meat eater all the way here! :D I can't even imagine not eating meat - I like it too much! I have found a couple varieties of fish that I won't eat - catfish & talipia - because they taste like dirt.

chico2
June 9th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Well,I am a bit of a hypocrite(sp?)I LOVE a medium rare bbq'd steak,smoked sausages and pork-chops..Chicken is ok,but I could live without it,kind of bland to me..fish once a week,like in the old days.
I would love to be able to say I am a vegetarian,I abhore the goings on in our slaughter-houses,cry at the sight of a truck full of pigs about to die for us,but I do not like most veggies,nor pasta in any form,so I think I would be starving :D

doggy lover
June 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I eat meat mostly chicken and fish, but pork and a little beef once in a while. I'm also lactose intorerant, so no dairy other than lactaid milk, in my tea. I miss eating cheese and icecream once in a while but I'd rather not take pills so that I can eat it. I got really sick a few years ago and had to change alot of my foods that I ate no fried foods, dairy and stuff like that. What I wouldn't do for KFC :sad:

Prin
June 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Is there any other place meat comes from? I thought meat was grown in the packages. I eat meat but I can't eat anything that looks too much like the animal it came from. Like a slab of ribs looks too much like the side of a cow, I can't eat them.

My brother is a vegan. Pure vegan, with his girl. They combined weigh as much as my dad... My bro is 5'11" and 140 lbs. Tiny bones, tiny frame. I'd rather be solid. It's so complicated too. For various reasons, I don't like to restrict my diet at all (I tend to exaggerate with the restrictions). I eat what is tasty, and that's it.

Everything in moderation. :)

kandy
June 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I eat meat but I can't eat anything that looks too much like the animal it came from. Like a slab of ribs looks too much like the side of a cow, I can't eat them.

LOL! I guess it would be bad to invite you to our yearly pig roast party! :D

Safyre
June 10th, 2005, 06:20 PM
kandy - ewwwwww

chico2
June 11th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I am like Prin,I even have problems with a whole chicken and been known to leave a party if they have a pig-roast.....really dumb,I know...but I prefer my meat packaged.I also do not like a whole fish,eyes and all :D

lilith_rizel
June 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM
This is Lilith's husband KaiLain. I do eat meat but also feel horrible and guilty fro what the animals have to go through to provide us with it. I currently live in a state where it is very difficult to hunt for food do to the large citiies. I feel that hunting for your food would be much better, it would control the amount of meat people eat and would at least give the animals a fighting or running chance. It is only natural for people to eat animals but is wrong to keep them penned up. I have tried a vegan diet before but only lasted a week before I couldn't resist any longer. My body was very week and tired all the time. I have however started eating a little healthier though and don't eat as much meat. Although I can never pass up a good steak.

goldenblaze
June 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I eat meat but not alot of it! I'm a super picky eater!! IF i have to prepare raw meat for cooking, I usually lose my appetite in the process. When it is raw, it grosses me out - especially chicken(raw). :yuck:

Luckily, my fiance does most of the cooking!!!!

I am the same as you, very picky and can't handle meat before cooking. I love chicken but would rather buy M&M chicken as it is frozen.