Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rabies shots

beddows
June 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Anyone know how long a 1 ml shot of Rabvac 3 is good for. It was done in Mexico. Also is it Ok to give a dog aspirin (baby aspirin)?

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
The legality of rabies vaccine differs depending on the area you live in.
Why the aspirin?

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
only give over the counter meds on your vets recommendation, and also be sure he calculates the dose for you.
as far as the rabies vaccine, I dont know, i know here in canada i get my dog done every year, thats all the info I have
Eleni

db7
June 8th, 2005, 02:01 PM
The vaccine, generally, should last about 3 yrs. I can't speeak to the specific dose you mention.

Karin
June 8th, 2005, 09:20 PM
When in doubt, revaccinate. RabVac is commonly sold at feed stores. (and a few vet clinics)

Also there is an issue of legality....I doubt the vax would be recognized if not given under a licensened vet in the US or Canada should a problem arise and you need to show the paperwork.

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I'd rather 'not' revaccinate if the dog was 'just' vaccinated. Vaccinosis is a huge problem with depleting an immune system.

Sorry Karin ....don't let your toes hurt I didn't mean to step on them just my opinion ;)

Lissa
June 9th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Yes, that's what a lot of natural pet owners have said to me as well!

Apparently the rabies vaccines does last for 3 years and there are studies being done that might prove it can last as long as 5 years.

My friend feeds Burns pet food and according to the company, you shouldn't need to give the dog ANY vaccines if it's on their food. So she NEVER brings her dog's to the vet - unless they are hurt or sick of course. She's trying to convince me to do the same but I'm a little apprehensive about it - I need to do a lot more research before I folllow in her footsteps!

Asprin was okayed to give my pup while he was in pain. Why does your dog need asprin?

Melissa

levimh
June 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM
My friend feeds Burns pet food and according to the company, you shouldn't need to give the dog ANY vaccines if it's on their food.
What?! That's crazy. I've never heard of that. Is it safe for all-year-round-every-day feeding?

I agree - I would be apprehensive about that as well.

Lissa
June 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I admit that my friend is on the extreme side, she also refuses to license her pet's because they are not objects (or something like that)!

When I voiced my concerns about the whole no-vaccination thing, she said if I insisted, it would be okay to keep Dodger on heartworm but the rest is unnecessary. Her dog's haven't been vaccinated in over 5 years and I've never understood why her vet doesn't report it.

This is the only link I could find about the food (she gave me a different one before but I've since lost it!). I think their thoery is the body takes care of itself if the immune system is working properly, if they are on their high-quality nutritious food!

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Luba
June 9th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Lissa I agree with your friend. I don't give my dog any vaccines other then the rabies. If I didn't have to get that every 3 yrs I wouldn't. I don't give any other vaccines.

Titer testing proves that vaccines have lasted up to and longer then 10 years in dogs...thus the lack of having to revaccinate after original vaccines.

The ONLY reason vets push vaccines on us for our pets is for MONEY!!! Just think of how much money the vets and drug companies would loose should they not have 'yearly' clients that come to them for vaccines. Then dogs/cats and others would just go to them when they are in 'need' of health care. Wouldn't that be a revelation.

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
personally I disagree, but to each their own

I personally have my pets vaccinate yearly for what the vet reccomends

Id rather be sure we are safe them my pets get ill with something thats easily preventable

but thats just me, i wont knock others for doing it differently

Eleni

Lissa
June 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Luba: What do you feed your dog's? Do you take your pets for an annual check-up or not at all?

You think that if my dog and cat are fed a high-quality, holistic/nutritious food, that they're safe to go without vaccines/heartworm etc...?

I have read a lot about vaccines being too much of a good thing and I have numerous holistic dog/cat books but like I said before I'm apprehensive. I want to do the right thing but its not an easy call! Especially when the vet's tell you about all the horrid things that can happen if you don't get vaccines.

I've also read that if you don't get your pet vaccinated you need to get blood work done regularly so they can monitor your pet's health/immune system (which costs more then getting the vaccines in the first place). Is this what you do?

Thanks

JenSteele
June 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I believe in a Vet's advice 100% and hollistic medicine 100% - depending on what it's for... like each human we share possibilities of common deseases and some of us get it and some of us dont'. I never get a flu shot and never get the flu and see a doctor maybe once every 3 years to make sure I'm fine.. but that doesn't mean that regular visits and flu shots won't help the next person. It's the same thing with your dog in my opinion...

I've heard of people giving their dogs children's aspirin when they get colds and alergies just like we do... but, we had two incredibly smart vets remind us that it may cause stomach ulcers and the safer bet is to try one childrens benylin tablet, see how it goes and then maximum of two in a day or 6 in a week depending on their weight. But usually if your baby isn't improving in a couple of days they should see a Vet.

Jen

Luba
June 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hi Lissa,

I home cook for my girl. All fresh meats, fish, veggies and some fruit. Have done so since she was two months old and she is very very healthy.

I don't take her to the vet unless she 'needs' to go! Annual physical exams are a money grabber. When your dog gets a little older into his/her senior years then it's probably a good idea to do a physical exam. I don't believe in lining my vets pocket unless needed AND I DO NOT agree with my vet about everything...in fact I disagree about most of what some of them say..just as I do with medical doctors. Most have little if no experiene or knowledge in nutrition.

Holistic medicine was around long before pharmaceuticals.

Pets, like humans become ill because weakened immune systems due to improper diet/exercise. Of course there are some things you just can't avoid but what you put into your body will either boost or reduce your resistance. Same goes for our pets :D I don't give her anything I wouldn't eat myself and I would NOT sit down to a bowl of rendered down dog food BLECK lol ;)

There is NO need to vaccinate yearly. If you choose to go the non vaccine or reduced vaccine route just make sure you do titer testing every 4/5 years. With the amount of money you save on vaccine dates, you can affor the titer testing. Check out some holistic vets and you'll see what I mean.

I started educating myself after my dog died from cancerous tumours that were filled throughout his body. The main one starting in the adrenal glad, of which research denotes the cause as some form of vaccinosis. My present dog is 18 months old. She ONLY had her initial set of vaccines and did not end up having a booster for Leptosporosis as she had a horrible reaction to it. Unfortunately that is the only one that I would have gotten for her since Lepto is becoming a problem in Ontario.

I hope some of that is informative to you. I only know what I believe in and my own experiences. I used to yearly vaccinate my dogs before I became informed. I vowed to myself to find out what caused and killed my dog and I did! You know how hard it is to appologize and regret what you've done to your dog (even though well meaning) after they are already dead. I STILL feel bad about it to this day.

goldenblaze
June 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Luba I understand you don't give vaccines do you give anything for heartworm or fleas ? If so please tell me what you use for Sweet Sexy Sadie :)

Mockingcat
June 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
It may be an option to have the dog titered to see if the rabies vaccine is still in their system? Just a thought. :)

Luba
June 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Nooooope no heartworm or flea control!

I feed her garlic and oregano oil and so far so good HONEST! September last year she had a few fleas and I picked the adults off her and bathed her and started the oregano oil and put some on her skin as well. IT worked very well except for the odd flea which was persistant and I'd pick it off. She didnt' really get bitten by them I must add they seemed not to like her flavour, probably because of the garlic and oreganoooooooo oil!

Sure you can do titer testing, thats a wonderful idea :D

goldenblaze
June 10th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Nooooope no heartworm or flea control!

I feed her garlic and oregano oil and so far so good HONEST! September last year she had a few fleas and I picked the adults off her and bathed her and started the oregano oil and put some on her skin as well. IT worked very well except for the odd flea which was persistant and I'd pick it off. She didnt' really get bitten by them I must add they seemed not to like her flavour, probably because of the garlic and oreganoooooooo oil!

Sure you can do titer testing, thats a wonderful idea :D

I have used the garlic pills for many years on my dogs and never a flea problem, last year was the first I used anything for heartworm and it was revolution which was more for the mange. Fleas don't worry me heartworm does, how often do you put the oil on her and how. :confused: Do you worry about heartworm? What is a titer test?

Luba
June 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I only put the oil 'on' her when there are fleas present or 'I" myself get some flea bites then I know they're around but thats not usually until fall.

Titer testing is a blood screening test that can test for the antibodies of certain diseases. Antibodies that the immune system has produced as a result of vaccine. :D

goldenblaze
June 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the information, I have not heard of the titer test until reading it tonight. As I'm trying to build Blaze's immune system, nice to learn all I can.

kandy
June 11th, 2005, 01:33 PM
OK - I'm confused. I thought that the only way the body develops antibodies is either through contracting the disease/virus/bacteria, etc., (and successfully fighting it off) or by vaccination, and of course whatever antibodies are obtained from mother's milk. So, you guys are saying that dogs don't need to be vaccinated - but how do they get the antibodies? I don't get it.

Luba
June 11th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Sorry if I confused you and maybe I should have been more clear. I DID vaccinate my dog with the initial shots hence the development of antibodies. After 5 years I will titer test to see what antibodies are still present. Sorry for the mix up :D