Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not drinking enough water?

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
How much water should a dog drink? Enough so it isn't thirsty? Is there are guidlines to say how much. I was assuming at least 8 cups, like a human, maybe more because he gets dry food whereas human food has more moisture.

Odin won't drink out of his bowl much anymore, but will hapily drink out of a water bottle if I pour it over the floor (he drinks the stream of water). I'm getting tired of cleaning up water off the floor, but it's better than him being dehydrated. It's so hot here and I really thing he should be drinking more water.

Could it be his bowl? Is he afraid of it maybe? Maybe he doesn't like it because he doesn't trust what is in it (I added a few things before like a little lemon juice to help with his phlegm, and once I added some beet juice...maybe he is afraid it will taste bad?)

I know I probably caused this by giving him water out of the water bottle on walks, but is there any way to fix it? Anyone tried one of those "DogIt Water fountains?". I would be worried because it is plastic and bacteria might build up, but Odin might drink more water in the summer this way.

http://www.hagen.com/img/dogs/products/73600.jpg

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Or maybe one like this. I like this idea better..

http://www.petfountain.com/bigdog.asp

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Dogs may not drink for a number of reasons.

With my girl she has a dental problem that makes drinking from a regular bowl difficult (undershot jaw/overbite) so I HAVE to keep the water topped up to the very top for her.

Also try flavoured ice cubes, gives the dog something cool to chew on and adds some hydration to the diet.

You can flavour the ice cubes with a little parmesean cheese, a little beef stock or some garlic powder.

They usually go bonkers for it!

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Raingirl my mom has the pet fountain for her dogs and they love it! I know she said she will never go back to having a normal bowl! I want to get one for my boys. They love to drink out of the toliet. LOL Which I am sure that is not real great for them! :D

Dukieboy
June 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
maybe it is the level of the dish. you can buy stands that elevate food and water bowls.... and remember, the more you give him what he wants (water bottle) the less he will do what you desire which is to drink out of his bowl when he is at home. ;)

Dukieboy
June 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Dogs may not drink for a number of reasons.

With my girl she has a dental problem that makes drinking from a regular bowl difficult (undershot jaw/overbite) so I HAVE to keep the water topped up to the very top for her.

Also try flavoured ice cubes, gives the dog something cool to chew on and adds some hydration to the diet.

You can flavour the ice cubes with a little parmesean cheese, a little beef stock or some garlic powder.

They usually go bonkers for it!

My little one, Wiz is forever looking at the ice cubes and if I drop one by accident he goes for it. I thought ice cubes would be dangerous????

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 01:39 PM
My little one, Wiz is forever looking at the ice cubes and if I drop one by accident he goes for it. I thought ice cubes would be dangerous????

When Meater had Parvo and would not drink the vet told me to give him ice cubes, Luba did as well and they LOVE them to this day! The melt fast so I do not see anything wrong with them. I used them alot when the boys were teething. They have to have a few a day now. LOL :D When I boil chicken or something like that I take the water and pour in ice trays and give them to the boys, they love them. :D

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Odin doesn't like Ice Cubes. I've tried that. he likes ones that I put beets into...but he ate all those and I don't have any beets left. So far that's the only ice he will eat. I would love it if I could fill his bowl with ice and let it melt. he loves ice cold water though...I replace his water several times a day. I tried Brita Water from our filter, I tried regular tap water. It's not that he doesn't drink out of the bowl. He will..but not much. Maybe 3 or 4 times during the day. At night when BF comes home, he drinks out of it a lot.

I still think he likes BF's water and not mine (hehehe)

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Just flavour the ice cubes if you are concerned about hydration. :D

Dukieboy
June 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM
When Meater had Parvo and would not drink the vet told me to give him ice cubes, Luba did as well and they LOVE them to this day! The melt fast so I do not see anything wrong with them. I used them alot when the boys were teething. They have to have a few a day now. LOL :D When I boil chicken or something like that I take the water and pour in ice trays and give them to the boys, they love them. :D

ok, I'm going to try some ice cubes for the boys!! It has been really hot lately and anything to keep them amused.

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
They will love them and Meater says it is okay so must be. LOL My boys will eat as many as I will let them. They love to chase them around the house as well. You might have a trail of water everywhere. LOL :D

Daizy
June 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM
My poodle loves ice cubes, she cant' get enough of them. It's probably fun for her too not just a boring water bowl!

jessi76
June 8th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I actually just did the beef-stock "pupsicles" for my puppy, Tucker. He went crazy - LOVED them. On a hot day, he was quite content under a big shady tree, on a comfy towel, licking his beef-pupsicles.

I also had a cat once that would ONLY drink water that was ice water, and in a mug (or glass), not out of her bowl. looked a bit silly to have a people-glass next to her food dish, but hey, I figured if it gets her to drink more water, fine.