Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Litter

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has tried the scoopable "pine" litter?

I started using it 3 weeks ago, and I just love it!! It smell like the forest :p it's flushable, ist's sooo much lighter then the clay kind, (I don't need a carry out from the pet store anymore) :) It clumps really good, NO dust at all, and it doesn't track!!! What's not to love :love:

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
is it like sawdust?

ive been tempted to change brands of litter, i normally use clay but the cats ahve been tracking it everywhere lately

Eleni

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Yup, looks just like sawdust!!

CyberKitten
June 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I hope you are not using clumping litter with kittens. (I am sorry - I can't recall how old your kitties are!) That can be a disaster! Even tho my kitty is now 7 months old, I will never use clumping litter if any kind. Even in adults, the litter can clump together if they happen to eat it by mistake and cause severe gastrointestinal problems which as most of you know, provokes a VERY serious illness in a cat. (They do not have the reserves and thus cannot go wothout food or water for long. I know we read about miracle cats who survive long journeys without sustenance but they are miracle kitties for a good reason.

Most vets and others involved in cat care will advise you not to use clumping litter with kittens. You know kittens - they like to explore and experiment and that activity can lead to eating the litter. Clumping litter that expands inside the digestive system of a kitten can lead to severe digestive distress and death and is to be avoided. In fact, of the cat breeders I know (I only know a few, lol) who breed their champion Siamese with other champions NEVER use clumping litter for any age - kittens or cats.

Perhaps this scent comes in a non clumping litter? (If you have kittens). You would not be alone in using clumping litter with adult cats. In fact, my sister used to scoff at the notion of NOT using clumping litter with adult kitties. Then on one occasion last year, her Birman accidentally swallowed a tiny piece of litter. Just a speck! Of course it expanded but she did not know that - it was only after a day of vomiting and other symptoms that pointed to a blockage and after she rushed her poor baby to a vet ER that she discovered what had caused the kitty's near death experience. The clumped litter was the cause of the block - so that no food or nutrients were getting to him. He survived but it took him awhile to get back on his er paws!

There is now no specks of clumping litter in that home!

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM
my youngest cat is 4

my days of kittens are long gone hehe despite the cuteness i cant do the claws and kittie crazies much anymore

hehe

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM
My cats range in age, from 9 to 17.
My kitten days are long gone as well! I miss the kitten cuteness as well, but I get my kitten fixes here now :) .
This pine litter, has no clay in it at all, and they do have non- clumping available as well :)

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
thats it, im curious now,

im gonna give it a try in my oldest cats box first, shes the picky one, if she likes it im gonna switch over.

the 2 younger cats are so messy ill be happy to ahve soemthig they wont track all over the place

but its gotta get the Boss's approval first.

shes such a lil princess LOL or a big queen, depending on the mood :P

Eleni

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Your gonna love it!! Keep me posted and let me know how it goes.

I mixed it with their old clay clumping litter first, and just kept topping up with the pine stuff. I also notice a big difference in smell, my basement doesn't smell like a kitty litter box anymore, (especially if I forget to scoop for one day :o )

CyberKitten
June 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I have to admit I am not real keen on the smell of pine - maybe /c I live near the forest, lol So for now, I'll continue with my Yesterday's News. :)

Happy and Eleni, I bet your kitties are all kittens at heart tho!

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM
yeah its hard to beleive sugar is 11, feels like yesturday i was bottle feeding her.

her mom was hit by a car.

shes my baby since before my human babies arrived

Eleni

CyberKitten
June 8th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Awwww Eleni, that is so great to hear!! I bet you have a great relationship to her - after all, she'd been with you thru so many crucial life events!

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Happy and Eleni, I bet your kitties are all kittens at heart tho!

Oh for sure!! my youngest 2 ,are 9 year old brothers (Boowee and Jay), and maybe because they are the youngest, they still go crazy, jump off the walls, fly up and down the stairs, and almost knock you over chasing each other :eek: .

My 17 year old (Lucky) is the only one who has slowed down :love:

iRONKNiGHT
June 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has tried the scoopable "pine" litter?

I started using it 3 weeks ago, and I just love it!! It smell like the forest :p it's flushable, ist's sooo much lighter then the clay kind, (I don't need a carry out from the pet store anymore) :) It clumps really good, NO dust at all, and it doesn't track!!! What's not to love :love:

Can you please post a picture or a link to a picture of the product in Question?

I've been using 2 different products, and from them i make a Mixture that does wonders!! both my mixtures are sented..

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 05:54 PM
It's similar to these products
http://www.felinepine.com/felinepinescoop.html

http://www.felinefresh.com/felineSc.htm
but I actually use the Loblaws brand or Wal mart brand (can't find them on the internet though :confused: ) It looks just like sawdust!

iRONKNiGHT
June 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
It's similar to these products
http://www.felinepine.com/felinepinescoop.html

http://www.felinefresh.com/felineSc.htm
but I actually use the Loblaws brand or Wal mart brand (can't find them on the internet though :confused: ) It looks just like sawdust!

Is this the one?
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cliff.wolfnheinz/misc/pc.jpg

You can get that at Loblaws & Provigo
The reason i am asking is, yes that's a VERY good kitty litter but VERY costly.
and i may have a competitive alternative solution, that's much more cost effective..

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
it's compostable too!!!

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM
No it's not that one, I think that one is the silca pellets.

It is a presidents choice product though.

iRONKNiGHT
June 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cliff.wolfnheinz/misc/pc.jpg
PC GREEN Twice as Absorbent Clumping Cat Litter
Clumps are flushable.
Naturally absorbs wetness and controls odour.
Biodegradable and compostable granules.
Virtually dust free (compared to regular clay litter)

by the way happycats how much do you pay for what size bag?
then i'll post how much i pay for my mixture :)

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I threw the bag out, but I believe it was $6 for a 6lbs bag, BUt a 6lb bag is equivilant to a 17 pound bag of the clay scoopable litter.
So I guess it would work out to $6 for 17lbs

iRONKNiGHT
June 8th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I use a Mixture of 2 Cat litters..
The 10KG Bag is sold at Metro Supermarkets in Montreal
The 18kg Box is sold at Loblaws & Provigo

10KG/22.05LBS $4.99_________________________________________18KG/39.68LBS $7.49

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Ar both the clay kind ?

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM
teh second brand is i think, we ahve used it when we cant find our normal brand,

never seen the first one before tho

Eleni

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I think Ironknight just likes taking pictures. lol you post soo many pictures man!

This as a good thread, i've always been unsure what kitty litter is best... I HATE the smell of clay litter and the dust that it does have..even if it says no dust, it still sets off my asthma.
I might try this Pine stuff....

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I

This as a good thread, i've always been unsure what kitty litter is best... I HATE the smell of clay litter and the dust that it does have..even if it says no dust, it still sets off my asthma.
I might try this Pine stuff....

I hate the smell of the clay stuff too. I think you will like the pine, (Unless your allergic to trees :eek: )

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I'm allergic to a lot of things ... trees are not one yet.
if it ever gets that bad, i think i'll move to an old missle base (ok, did anyone else whatch While You were Out tonight? kewl place!)

iRONKNiGHT
June 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
The Bag 10KG version is Not a clay kind it's more of a whole grain kind but still effective.
The Box is clay fine grain..

what i do is pour a base of the whole grain and on top of that a bed of fine grain clay.. it works awesome..

iRONKNiGHT
June 9th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I think Ironknight just likes taking pictures. lol you post soo many pictures man!
It gives you a better "View" of the subject in mind...
unless you rather dull text!! ever heard of being creative? lol :cool:
Also if the topic is Important too me, trust me you'll see Pictures lol..

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 01:33 PM
happycats, they sell this litter at Wal-Mart??

jessi76
June 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Feline Pine: I haven't tried this litter as of yet, but plan to, and in fact the company is offering rebates on a 7lb bag for new users. here's a link: http://www.felinepine.com/cons_rebates.html

happycats
June 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM
happycats, they sell this litter at Wal-Mart??

Yes!! but get the one that looks like sawdust, because it's scoopable (not the pellets).

I have 5 cats, and have found a huge improvment with this product! :D :pawprint:

My garbage man has also noticed that he isn't breaking his back lifting my garbage anymore :eek: (it is so much lighter then the clay stuff)

I read it's compostable, so I think I'll be getting a composter for it, do the land fill site and the enviornment a favour!!

I hope you love it as much as I do!

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'll definitely look for it! Thanks! I know what your garbage man feels like, since I'm the one who puts out our garbage! Feels like 20lb bags of kitty poop!

happycats
June 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'll definitely look for it! Thanks! I know what your garbage man feels like, since I'm the one who puts out our garbage! Feels like 20lb bags of kitty poop!

That's why I bought one of those garbage cans with wheels ;)