Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old cat too skinny

zenagirl
June 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
my 14 year old cat has arthritis and cataracts - but no serious health problems. Yet he is extremely skinny - definitly does not eat as much as he use too just begs for it. We have changed food a couple of months ago but the other cats seem to like it fine. We have an appt. for him in three weeks - i am just anxious to know if this normal or not for old cats.

Trinitie
June 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
At 14 years old, your cat is certainly up in age, but not "old". A healthy cat can live to 19 or longer.

Perhaps the food change has turned him from eating. Try changing his food back and see if that helps. You should also ask your vet if there could be any reason for the weight drop.

levimh
June 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I would see if there are any health problems first (besides what you mentioned, of course) and if not, I wouldn't worry about it - unless it gets extreme. My neighbour has a cat that stopped eating a lot, about 8 years ago. He's happy and healthy now (but skinny) and he's 20 years old. He's been through cancer and losing his teeth, but still manages to eat soft food and fish that my other neighbours feed him.

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2005, 08:45 PM
He needs to go for blood tests. Losing weight this way is not normal, since 14 is not really elderly for an indoor cat. Skinny old cats often have thyroid malfunction or diabetes.

twinmommy
June 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Not trying to hijack, but once thyroid,liver probs and diabetes have been ruled out...is there still much cause for alarm? I have a very skinny, moderately active cat. He's his same old good natured self and had NO symptoms of any kind just that he was skinny--really skinny. We did four different bloodworks and they've given him the "normal" seal of approval.

My gut feeling is what it was before going--he's just skinny.

Should I be worried about something else?

CyberKitten
June 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
It does sound like diabetes or thyroid probs but you are best to have actual tests and then see what the vet says. Good luck!! I hope it is something easily handled.

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2005, 11:23 PM
twinmommy, has your cat always been thin? I too had a cat who was skinny and was always that way, and was very healthy until she died at 17 years old. It was just the way she was.

It was embarassing at a new vet, when he told me to feed her more as though I were starving her, but she ate like a horse.

twinmommy
June 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
twinmommy, has your cat always been thin?

No, he was a healthier 11 pounds and has slimmed down to 8. I found this to be alot--almost 1/3 of body wieght!! But he's a happy, hungry, playful guy.
And all his bloodwork is perfect.as is stool and urine analysis. I think he just eats the bare min. which is sometimes a mentality with strays.

As opposed to the other pork butt I have (also stray) who has decided to never, ever starve again. Ever. Ever. :D