Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Benedryl for dogs

Copper'sMom
June 8th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Before I call my vet, yet again, I thought I'd ask this question here first! Copper gets benedryl for his bug bites. I have one pill left that was prescribed from the vet. My question is, can I go to the pharmacy and buy benedryl off the shelf to give him instead of driving to the vets to pick it up there? I have to check the label at home, but I think he gets 50mg capsules. It's either 50mg or 25mg.

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM
My friend gives her spaniel regular benedryl all the time. It's cheaper than the vets office and has worked the same for her.

SnowDancer
June 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Yes. In Ontario for sure. I bought Benadryl at Shoppers. I have liquid as it turns out. I spoke with Pharmacist and that is what she gave me. I am hoping I won't have to use it - I am allergic to anti-histamine, but my Eskimo loves to chase bees.

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM
My oldest dog has fairly bad seasonal allergies (usually occurs from the week the grass starts to grow until the week it goes dormant). Last summer through to mid-october he would have 5 good days and 2 bad days in a week (bad days were sluggish/tired, very little eating, v soft stool). We started him on 1/2 a "generic brand Benadryl knock off" a day (I'd have to double check the mg dose) in early Spring and have only had one 'bad' day. Our Vet told us that if it seems to work, continue to use it as it won't have any negative effects. We just use the Life brand (Shopper's Drug Mart).

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 09:49 AM
When you say bug bites, do you mean fleas/skeeters??

What exactly is he getting it for and for how long?

If you boost the dogs immune system and add supplements to it's diet you can reduce or eliminate the need for allergy medications.

What reactions does your dog have to the bites?

Copper'sMom
June 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks all! Exactly what I needed to know!

When you say bug bites, do you mean fleas/skeeters??

What exactly is he getting it for and for how long?

If you boost the dogs immune system and add supplements to it's diet you can reduce or eliminate the need for allergy medications.

What reactions does your dog have to the bites?

It's for mosquito bites or fly bites when he's outside. Whatever bites him, the area swells up and on his belly area it is quite red and sore. :sad:

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Oh okay!

I'm not sure how you feed your dog (food wise) but if you add some garlic powder to his food it's a natually repellant for pests and works well.

I'm a big fan of oregano oil a little drop rubbed into the bite not only sterilizes the site it also stops the itch. WORKS ON US TOO!! Way better then calamine lotion! ;) Only thing is you smell with oregano oil....
Just now I put some on my own mosquito bites, and within 2/3 mins the itch is gone and swelling goes down.

Just a little fyi if you are interested. It can assist in you drastically reducing or eliminating the need for antihistamines :D

goldenblaze
June 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I gave Blaze benadryl when he was fighting mange, it helped with the itching and he was on 2 pills per day 25mg each.
My Vet told me to buy them anywhere it was less money then from her and worked well.

After Luba told me about oregano oil I bought it and gave it to Blaze with every meal until the mange was gone, works well for many things. :)

Copper'sMom
June 8th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks Luba! I want to try everything I can to soothe his bites. Poor guy gets bit as soon as we walk out the door! They don't seem to bite Zoe as much as they do Copper. He literally gets swarmed - I'm not exaggerating! He wanted to stay out this morning after his pee. He layed on the deck and the mosquitoes were all over him. I had no choice but to bring him in. Luckily, the mosquitoes aren't here at work!

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I would definitely start adding some garlic powder to his food. If you only feed dry then put the garlic powder in some yogurt....a little shake will do just fine.

If you don't cook for him and you feed him dog food try to feed him some fish or white meat atleast 3x a week adding garlic powder to the food as an alternative to the yogurt.

Don't over do the garlic though. The other great thing about garlic is that it encourages the dog to drink a lot of water..keeping them hydrated in the summer months and through the year.

I'm so happy the oregano oil worked for Blaze :D that too can be added to food....a couple of drops in a couple of tablespoons of yogurt atleast 2/3 times a week. Also depends on the size (weight) of the woofies!!

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Snowdancer, I was told you should never give liquid benadryl to a dog. I think it is because it is alcohol based. I would ask your vet about it before the need to use it arises.