Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

outdoor kennel

honeybee4
June 8th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I was thinking of purchasing some fence to make an outdoor kennel for Harley, so he wouldn't need to be tied when he was outside. I cannot afford to fence in my whole yard, so I was wondering what a good size would be for him. would a 6hx12lx6w be a good size?

thanks

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I depends how long he will be out there. That sounds like a good size.

A roof and a doghouse should be included for when it rains.

Put a good lock on it too.

SnowDancer
June 8th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I was "dreaming" of same during winter for my 21 lb. Eskimo pup - except he won't stay out without me. BUT, it would most definitely have to have a floor that would not have allowed him to dig out and a top so that he could not swing up and somersault from the top and break his neck. He somersaulted at 13 weeks over the baby gates. Just something to bear in mind.

honeybee4
June 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM
It isn't outside much, I would definitly not leave him in it overnight or anything like that. It would just be nice to be able to let him outside and not have him tied up with a chain, but still be confind to an area. So you think 6x12x6 is a good size? I high doubt he would jump out of it, he can barely get on the couch let alone jump out or over something. Would just putting a trap over half of it be good for a roof? Anyone have any good plans to build a big dog house?

goldenblaze
June 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
To be honest that really isn't that big and the dog might become bored in such a small area. I have a chained fence for night time pees and it's 26 feet wide 36 long. Their other fence invisable is 1000 foot they every feet of it. I understand the dog won't be in the fence long but again you don't want him to become bored and bark or dig. I would go alittle bigger if possible. just my opinion

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Ya I'd agree, bigger on the size as well. Those are just small run's that should only be temporary. Your dog will be bored and isolated especially if in there alone...he's not gonna play by himself and wouldn't care less that he's there unless accompanied by YOU :D

IF you go ahead with it, I agree with LR and suggest a roof and / under shady area.

honeybee4
June 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I dont' think I could afford something as big as 26x36. fencing can get quite expensive. Maybe something like, 6hx14Lx10w. I had an invisiable fence for him, but he would just run though it if he seen something on the other side that he wanted to go see. so I had to take him off it. I got yelled at by a guy that was walking down the street one day too because of it. harley wanted him to pet him but he won't, as soon as I called him he came back and didn't bother the guy at all. I think I am going to call around for some prices to see what exactly I can afford. thanks for the inputs.

Luba
June 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Personally I disagree with all invisible fencing products.

They don't protect you or the dog and leave you liable for law suits should someone become bitten or chased by your dog if even on your property.

Keep in mind that some insurance companies are considering disqualifying home owners insurance to people with 'only' invisible fencing due to the liability factor.

The collars have also been known to malfunction and cause burn injury to the dog. Some dogs become desensitized to the shock sensation and will still cross the boundary.

I dislike them tremendously they provide a 'false' sense of security.

Try buying your kennel area direct from a manufacturer OR look for a used one. If you buy used, make sure you sterilize it first with a bleach solution to ensure it's free of disease/bacteria.