Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What type of hair on a Jack Russell Terrier?

prynce_qt
June 8th, 2005, 03:44 AM
If I cannot get a mix terrier/chihuahua I would be getting a jack russell terrier. I've seen countless numbers of pictures online of this breed and it seems some have messy fur or broken fur i think its called and some have smooth fur which i like. If i buy a pup and it has smooth fur will it stay smooth or is it anybody's guess what it will turn out to be? If the parents are smooth, will the pups be too?

Thank you.

Lizzie
June 8th, 2005, 08:12 AM
The JRT with the "broken" hair is a JRT with wirehair I believe.

It's not always possible to tell when they are very little babies what kind of hair he/she will have. If you go through a reputable breeder though, they will likely know what you are getting as they have prepared for the litter and matched the parents accordingly.

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
the terms are rough coat or smooth coat. If you are getting a JRT because of size, think twice about it. They are little dogs with extreme high energy and the ability to jump to the top of a fridge or over any counter. They do not do well being left alone for long periods of time and can be very difficult to train for the novice. Do your research and either purchase from a reputable breeder or rescue one from a knowledgeable JRT rescue. Too many end up being dumped because the people wanted a small dog not understanding the breed at all. :sad:

chico2
June 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM
My son has a wire-hair JRT,she was smooth as a puppy...and yes,think twice before getting one!! They are definetly destroyers,cute,but little home-wreckers :evil:

GWPsRock
June 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM
As with the above posts - yes, there are wirehaired JRT, and smooth JRT...

my question is.....I understand that you are looking for a certain "look"....but, it seems that you are quite concerned only with the "look" of the dog.....have you started looking into personalities that would be compatible with your lifestyle?

SnowDancer
June 8th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Definitely consider the advice given to you re the Jack Russell temperament. A lady 2 blocks over has had Jack Russells for years - is now down to two - one is the son of the other - and they are getting on in years. Her sister just bought a Jack Russell pup and he is way too much for her sister to handle - so she asked advice from experienced sister - who herself is appalled. When her Jack Russells go to the Bridge she is rescuing a Greyhound. Definitely heed comments re Jack Russell's climbing skills - second only to those of my former mini-Dachshunds. For small dogs they can do wondrous things. My 21 lb. Eskimo who is short when he sits has VERY long legs so easier to understand. Too many Jack Russells are being dumped due to unexpected temperament - unfortunately the media - in this case - Frasier TV show - has convinced people that the dogs are couch potatoes. So many breeds are not suffering from such media exposure. I hope that I do not see an Eskimo in the arms of a "celebrity".

Roxy's_MA
June 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM
There is a coat type called broken coat. It is in between smooth and a wire hair. It is thicker than the smooth coat with a few stray hairs, but not wirey like the wire coat.

JRT's are a breed very close to my heart. If you plan on buying a JR please do your research, as they are very high maintenance dogs, but well worth the hours of entertainment they can bring you.

If you don't have the time to exercise and give attention to a JR they will go mental. For a small dog they can be loud and destructive. I like to think of my JR as a huge dog in a little body.

To awnser the original question my dog came from a smooth mom and a broken daddy, and she was the only smooth pup of the litter. You can definatly tell at 8 weeks which ones will have the wire hair.

Roxy's_MA
June 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Smooth Coat

Roxy's_MA
June 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Broken Coat

prynce_qt
June 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I've researched my dogs and a JRT is something I want but still thinking and pondering so nothing is set in stones. This is one of the reasons I want a terrier+small dog mix so that maybe those genes can calm it down but if it doesn't I shouldn't have a problem either way.

Can you guys suggest another breed that looks almost like the jrt in looks and size?

Karin
June 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I would suggest giving a good look at a rescue or shelter. Shopping for a dog on line is like browsing through a Sears catalog.(They don't sell 'em) Look at the pictures in real life.

BeagleMum
June 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I was trying to find a picture but it is the same as Moose from Frasier. He was short hair.

Dogastrophe
June 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I've researched my dogs and a JRT is something I want but still thinking and pondering so nothing is set in stones. This is one of the reasons I want a terrier+small dog mix so that maybe those genes can calm it down but if it doesn't I shouldn't have a problem either way.

Can you guys suggest another breed that looks almost like the jrt in looks and size?

Don't let the small stature of most terriers and terrier X's fool you. They are actually a much bigger dog, just stuffed into undersized skin! They tend to be hardy, adventurous, high spirited, energetic dogs wiht two settings: on and really really on. My littliest one views laps as something to springboard off.

Angeleyes1437
June 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM
No joke... my sister has a JRT... actually he's technically a Parson's Russell Terrier because he has longer legs (she didn't know better back then and got him from a pet store...so yes, he's a puppy mill dog). He is NUTS!! I love him so much but he's evil when he wants to be. He is so mean to my American Pit Bull Terrier... Maximus isn't allowed to touch one toy when we go to my sisters. And tough! This dog can get attacked by the biggest dogs in the dog park and not have a scratch- and the other dog will. They are truly tremendous dogs in a little body... terriers in general are a tough dog package, they have lots of energy, they are smart and definitely have a mind of their own... great if you are very experienced with dogs.

My sisters pup was smooth coated and as he got older it became a broken coat. Long-haired JRT's are easy to spot, but if you get a smooth coat I would make sure to see the parents before-hand so you know what their coat will probably end up looking like because it can easily become broken (a mixture of smooth and rough) or totally rough.

Additionally, a JRT is VERY different from a Chihuahua...make sure you research research research. This is a serious commitment you are making and you want to make sure the dog fits your lifestyle.

Prin
June 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
My dad got his JRT used. I believe he is also a Parson's because he's bigger- 25lbs. They are nuts. You have to have AT LEAST 2 hours of play time set aside everyday for these guys. You have to have an abundant toy budget because they destroy toys really quickly. You have to have enough money to take care of their teeth because these little nutcases tend to eat rocks and break their teeth (my dad's costed $2000 to see a vet dental surgeon to remove three of his 4 canine teeth). They're also not too good with kids as they nip a lot.

Please look in shelters. These dogs are so cute and people get them and totally can't handle them, so so many end up in shelters.

Another dog around the same size is a Beagle, but I was always told that, like it or not, beagles are hunting dogs and have no place in the city. A lot of them end up in shelters too.

Here's my dad's (super spoiled) Buddy:

Angeleyes1437
June 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Prin- you are so right. I mean, they are great dogs for people who can handle them. My sisters JRT is so adorable and so bad in EVERYONE's opinion except those who love him! LOL. They are difficult to train, but so worth it (like any breed) if you have the patience. A lot of them do end up in shelters because people do not RESEARCH breeds before purchasing them!!!!

Want to hear another crazy fact... (from what I know it's a fact)... more Jack Russell Terriers die from accidents (such as getting hit by a car, etc.) than from natural causes. People assume small dog=apartment dog... living (or not so living) proof in this statment.

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't be surprised. These doggies are nutty when they start out running... Or if there is a rodent? Look out!! They're ratters and geez, they're fast when they spot one.. They get tunnel vision on it too..