Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where to get mix breeds?

prynce_qt
June 8th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Hello, I'm new here and want to get a dog. I've looked at many pictures and like the looks of a terrier/chiwawa(sp?) mix. It's easier to find a pure breed at a breeder but what about getting a mix breed. I would probably have to find someone whose dog just had pups but where do I even start?

Also on the home page at www.pets.ca there is a link for breeders but I cannot find a breeder directory.

Thank you.

Sadie's Mom
June 8th, 2005, 04:13 AM
*sigh*

Where to even begin? :(

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 05:52 AM
rescue groups and such are the places to get mixed breeds,

no reputable breeder would even have mixed breed pups.

Eleni

ILoveMutts!
June 8th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Rescue groups/shelters are the best place to get a mixed breed. If someone whose dog has just had pups didn't breed her to make a profit, then I wouldn't consider it unethical to adopt a pup from such a person. But you must take into account that rescues have their dogs checked by vets and treated for illnesses whereas a random person may have neither done this for his/her pups, nor taken care of them properly.

Take a look at this pup:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4396022&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=42a6c82051b4390a-app2&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out what you are looking for. While you seem to indicate that you are looking for a mix breed, I think what you may be looking for is a cross breed. A mix breed tends to be one of questionable heritage and may contain two or more breed. Mixes are mostly "accidental", that is to say, Sally the unspayed rottie was laying in the sun one day when she met Jake the un-neutered terrier/pom mix. The result is a 'mix'. A cross breed tends to be a planned breed, such as Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. You will find breeders of this planned crosses, however, as with everything out there you will find breeders of better repute than others. Definately educate yourself.

Myself, I am a big fan of the mutt and truely believe that the best mutts in the world come from shelters / rescue groups and the like. Take the time to visit your local SPCA / shelter / etc and take plenty of time to talk with the ppl who work and volunteer at this organizations about their dogs. Also, you can get a good sense of what's out there by going to www.petfinder.com

LavenderRott
June 8th, 2005, 08:50 AM
A cross breed tends to be a planned breed, such as Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. You will find breeders of this planned crosses, however, as with everything out there you will find breeders of better repute than others. Definately educate yourself.

Cross breeds tend to be bred by puppymills and backyard breeders looking to make big bucks on their "designer" pups. In order to make as much money as possible, very little vetting is done at all. As a matter of fact, many millers preform their own c-sections and such to save vet costs.

If you don't mind spending big bucks on a dog that will most likely arrive ill or have long term life threatening illnesses, I am sure that you can find a "designer" dog online. However, if you want a lovely longterm companion of maybe unknown heritage, check your local kill shelter first. You just might save a life.

Lizzie
June 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I am not sure if you are aware or not, but buying a dog, mixed or not, from an irresponsible backyard breeder or puppy mill is a terrible thing to do. If you do a few searches on this site, you will be able to read about the horrors people have had to overcome simply by purchasing their dog from one of these places--which include, but are not limited to, pet stores, newspaper postings, puppy mills, internet sites, etc.

There are many reasons why these places are terrible, including:

They often if not always fail to adequately vet, test and prepare their dogs and puppies for the birthing process.

They charge extreme amounts for unhealthy dogs that will die shortly after you get them home.

They abuse their dogs, forcing the mummy dogs to have multiple births in a row---lessening her health and passing any troubles on to her babies.

They don't care about the dogs--they care about the money.

They know nothing about breeding and in turn hand off dogs to you and others that may nor may not be aggressive later in life or have other problems.

And the list goes on.

By purchasing a dog from these people, you and anyone else who chooses to do it, helps their industry.

Now, you say you want a mixed breed dog right? Well, check out www.petfinder.ca and I am sure you will find the right little furbaby for you. These are all dogs who have been dumped by the irresponsible breeders I just mentioned. They have been evaluated by a shelter or foster home, have received the proper vetting and are often on their way to training.

Do not hesitate on distance as there are many instances when people will help transport a new puppy to you.

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Now, you say you want a mixed breed dog right? Well, check out www.petfinder.ca and I am sure you will find the right little furbaby for you. These are all dogs who have been dumped by the irresponsible breeders I just mentioned. They have been evaluated by a shelter or foster home, have received the proper vetting and are often on their way to training.

Do not hesitate on distance as there are many instances when people will help transport a new puppy to you.

As a follow on to this, in addition to the vet care that these animals get at the shelters / rescues, which in some cases may be the first time they have ever seen a vet, many shelter adoption fees include the cost of your first Vet visit, spaying and neutering if required, to ensure that your new-to-you 'kid' is healthy.