Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rocks our new puppy

Rocks
June 7th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Help please. We intend to take our new puppy to the vet, but we were wondering if anyone knows what is going on with our new dog. He is a 16 week Hound mix, we just got him today. When we first got him fromt he SPCA he was alert, happy and energetic. As the night came he is like a lump. He hasn't had or wanted anything to eat or drink. He bearly moves. What going on?

twodogsandacat
June 8th, 2005, 12:11 AM
The basic rule here is that if the puppy (dog , cat, parrot) is ill you are advised to take it to a vet.

That said don't get overly stressed as new puppies can have problems adjusting to a new home so it may not be such a bad thing if it isn't ill in any other way. Taking it to the vet will verify that everything is OK so please do take it to the vet as you indicated.

My one dog came out of the SPCA with nearly every worm imaginable so I know it's always a good idea to take them in right away anyways after adopting them from a shelter.

This link indicates that being lethargic is a concern:
Call us for advice ANYTIME the puppy seems lethargic, or loses its appetite. The most important objective is to get the puppy to EAT. Small breeds are more susceptible to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and may need additional feedings in small quantities. Some puppies require privacy, coaxing, or companionship to eat. Every puppy is different.

http://www.petsvet.com/puppynewhome.htm

PS: Thanks for adopting from a SPCA.

Mockingcat
June 8th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Ditto, thank you for saving a life! Coming home from the shelter can be a big experience for a young puppy. He may simply be tired from all the exciting happenings of the day. That being said, if he were my puppy, he'd be at the vet tomorrow morning ASAP just to make sure. I'm a paranoid pet owner. :)