Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

knowing too much

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I have an odd problem. I feel like I know TOO much. If I don't know something, I do a search and learn about it. It's almost like an obsession.

I feel that the more people get to know me, the more they realise that I know a lot of stuff, and I start to get teased about it. Not in a bad way, but in a "well, if no one else knows it, we figured you would" or stuff like that. I am very sensitive because of my social anxiety disorder, but I can't keep my mouth shut about all the stuff I know. I often get "is there anything you don't know or don't know how to do?". I can't sew..I know how, but I suck at it.

Is it a bad thing? When I see people needing help here of if someone asks an interesting question, I look it up.

I just hate being in the dark or confused. If I need to make a decision, I need to know ALL sides of the "coin" before I make up my mind.

I also find it infuriates people I know because I take long to make decisions.

I'm very much a "what if" person, so I research all the what ifs. I also am a perfectionist. I can not fail at anything. If I don't know how to do something, I have to learn. Simple as that.

Sometimes I just feel like people don't understand me and people hate me because of it or think I'm being a snob or know it all. I just like to pass on what I know, not to sound like I'm being snotty!

Ask me anything! I could probably tell you how to do it/fix it/make it/whatever. I can fix any appliance, re-wire things, build lamps, paint, stucco, drill (I finally figured out how to put my darn curtains up!), build things, stain, basically anything around the house I can do. I'm a gardener, cook, baker, pastry chef. I can even build a lamp from scratch!! I know how to fix my car, I memorize maps for fun (so I never get lost). I can always tell you which way is north with my eyes closed.

I am a geek..I am a huge geek...and I love it...but it sucks being a geek and a girl...none of my girl friends understand me.

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Hey, I think it is cool when I see a person like you, that wants to know everything about anything. James is kinda like you are, and I do admit, I ask him alot of things. Almost daily. And if he doesn't know, I look up the info. And when I find it out, I tell him, what I found out.

CyberKitten
June 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with knowing too much. In fact, I worry about people who are not anxious to know and learn. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know and how much more I really need to know. Of course in my 20's I knew so much more, but I see my students doing the same thing so I think it was pretty normal.

The concept of lifelong learning really does apply now more than ever!! We can never know enough!!

And don't worry - I never thought you came across as anyone who "knows it all", just someone who is willing to help. (Know it all's drive me nuts actually - and usually, they almost never know as much as they think) You seem intested in a plethora of topics - something I can relate to since I sometimes fell I m interested in too many subjects but I don't really think that's possible.

Keep on learning!!

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I don't think you've ever come across as snotty! I've met people who "know everything about everything", or at least think they do :p . I like learning new information and researching things too. Arcane knowledge comes in handy for lots of things - especially trivial pursuit! :D I have done lots of research after reading threads here because I didn't understand or wanted to know more. One of the first things I did after being here a bit was to study a map of Canada so that I would know where everyone was at! :p I was always a good student, and enjoy reading - so research is fun for me!

glasslass
June 7th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Raingirl, you'd make a great librarian! Information technology - teaching and helping people to obtain information. Right up your alley!

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Raingirl, you'd make a great librarian! Information technology - teaching and helping people to obtain information. Right up your alley!

yeah that sounds like a good career :)

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I'm sorta the same way, I yearn to learn.
What I get comments about is memory, I have a photographic memory, which is great ... till ppl think I am nuts for remembering too much.

Its a good thing to know soo much, its fun and helpful to others and makes you happy

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM
i find the more i learn the less i really know, education is eternal, it does not end at school. :D .....

life is a journey, learning is part of that journey, you should be a student and teacher till the day you die, why go through life uninformed, at least you have interests and a brain....

i am a student of life......

Prin
June 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I learn about everything if it comes up and then I end up knowing stuff about nothing and one day it comes up and I look like a know-it-all. :D I don't know what people expect... Are you just supposed to shut up and pretend you don't know anything? Or share what you know at the risk of looking like a smart a**?

melanie
June 8th, 2005, 02:40 AM
prin, if ppl cannot have an intellegent discussion and learn about new topics and share info and ideas it is they who are intimidated and have the problem, not you....and why would you look like a smarty pants, if the information is delivered in a non condicending way then they are jsut being loosers, anyone who is intimidated by knowledge or your personal growth is not a trustworthy person or friend on my books.....

jsut ignore them, fools.....

Beaglemom
June 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I think it is great when someone has widespread knowledge. Some people are too focussed on a few things and become experts at that, which is great, but it is also wonderful when you can have a conversation with someone about something completely different and learn from it!

I too love to learn and am constantly online learning about something that may have come up in conversation or that I've overheard, or just for the fun of it. I too know how you feel. I also like to watch educational programs. Might as well use the TV for educational purposes since most of what is on it is c$#%

You've never come across as snotty or a know-it-all, to me anyway. Just someone who has a lot of knowledge and likes to share with others in order to help them. I think it is great to be able to learn from other people!

chico2
June 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Raingirl,you sound a lot like me...I am obsessed with solving any problems I encounter,LOVE a challenge,be it intellectual or practical..nothing is too complicated to figure out..or to do.
You never stop learning,no matter what your age...being a woman is no excuse for not trying,why would a man be better at something just because he's a man :eek:
Education does not always mean schooling,life is an education in it self,if you are willing to learn and open to knowledge...
Your brain has to be fed and work,be it with a crossword puzzle,study or fixing a lawnmower,or it will go dormant :D I've met too many people with dormant brains :D

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I've always said that if I won the lottery, I'd retire and spend the rest of my life taking university courses. It drives me nuts not knowing something, or how to do something. I remember putting up a ceiling fan that require creative wiring (long story, but it involved converting two lights that were both operated by two switches on the same circuit into two separate lights on two separate circuits without actually cutting into the walls), and my wife and the in-laws were watching TV, and after the fuse being blown a few times I was standing under the fan, just staring at it. I overheard her tell her parents, "He'll keep going at it until he figures it out". I was kind of embarassed. She said she knew it drove me nuts if I wanted to know something. She then said she thought that was one of the cool things about me. So I wouldn't worry about it. I did have a friend who it said it annoyed him. It turned out he was just insecure about his own self.

I do worry, sometimes, that I'll get to the end of my life and find out that I can't remember anything because I filled my head with too much useless stuff and I have no room anymore. Of course, I've also been told I probably don't have to worry because there is a tonne of room up there. I wonder what they mean by that...

Britishvixen21
June 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM
raingirl,

Its funny I am exactly the same way, once I take something on i need to research and find out everything. or as my mum puts it "the ins and outs of cats arse!"
But whats really funny is that I am also a perfections to the extreme and have only recently realised that I am a total control freak also. I also suffer from social anxiety and panic attacks that I believe go back and are caused by my perfectionism and control issues. Maybe Cyber can tell us if there is a link between the two?

oh and FYI knowledge os empowerment. :cool: dont ever be ashamed of it

Vas
June 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I have an odd problem. I feel like I know TOO much. If I don't know something, I do a search and learn about it. It's almost like an obsession.

Where is your problem? You should be proud of yourself for who you are. Not everybody and especially not every girl can fix any appliance, re-wire things, build lamps, paint, stucco, drill , memorize things etc.
But as you know people, girls in particular, may feel jellous of you in their hearts. If you tell or exhibit that you know everything they will feel diminished, uncomfortable and may avoid your presence. I think it's important to let people feel that they are equal and you're not so diffrent from them (even if you are) .( Why do you think you have "social anxiety disorder"?) And of course always help people and be proud of yourself! By the way, there is always something new to learn! :thumbs up
Good luck!

nymph
June 8th, 2005, 04:38 PM
raingirl: I have NEVER found you snobbish and I always appreciate your comment in this forum.

Not sure if ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is definitely power. Cheers!

lezzpezz
June 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Just my 2 cents worth....Well I DO work at the public Library and all day long I answer the phones and look up stuff for people! Weird stuff, funny stuff, serious stuff, medical stuff, factual stuff, legal stuff, music stuff, repair stuff, recipe stuff, science stuff, aeronautical stuff, animal stuff.... it goes on and on. Just pick something, and it's my job to find the answers!

If, on my off time, a buddy asks me something or we get into a discussion about some off-the-wall topic, you can bet all eyes turn to me and it is expected that I will "look it up"! And I do! Can't let things just hang there unanswered, considering I am surrounded by all of the information the world has to offer! In fact, I used this site today to get stats on dog breed bite stats, for, you guessed it, a friend!

I say using your brain will keep you young and motivated and help to avoid the onset of alzheimers or other ailments. Use it or lose it, babe!! :thumbs up

doggy lover
June 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I am kind of the same, not the perfectionest though, I just love to learn and if I don't know the answer to something I look it up. I love to read books not mushy lovey stuff books on gardening, dogs and other pets, any thing that I'm intrested in I reserch like crazy. When I was thinking of getting Tucker I bought books on border collies researched like crazy on the internet you name it, I probably drove his breeder crazy with all the questions. Sometimes I wonder if you can overload your brain, if my husband asks me a question and I don't know the answer he always says I thought you know everything, then he says how long will it take for and answer. He knows that I'm going to find out.LOL

Cactus Flower
June 12th, 2005, 12:15 AM
I don't think there is any such thing as "knowing too much", and there is nothing wrong with having an inquisitive, tenacious mind.

But the more you "know", the more you'll realize you have yet to learn, and there is something grating about the sound of one tooting one's own horn. Once a person thinks they know it all, they'll learn nothing. And I personally can't trust anyone who never says "Gee, I don't know". Nobody always has all the answers.

No matter how much you research, there are lessons that only time can teach you- that don't appear in any book, class or online.

Also, I believe that we are ALL intelligent beings. But each of us has spent our time exercising that intelligence in different areas, that's all.
As an example, a surgeon may be extremely well educated regarding human anatomy, and how to repair it. Yet if their car breaks down, they might not even be able to change out the fan belt. They will have to take it to a mechanic- who is extremely well educated regarding the anatomy of a vehicle, and how to repair it. Which person is more "intelligent"? Neither is more intelligent than the other, in my opinion. Their smart muscles are just toned in different areas ;) .

You can learn something from anyone you meet. ANYONE.

I have had equally informative conversations with homeless alcoholics, state senators, stay at home parents, Down's Syndrome children and nuclear physicists.

Einstein once said something to the tune of: "I'm not smarter than anyone else- I just work on the problem longer".
Ah, a humble person is an honor student in The School of Life.