Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Home Remedies - Do they work??

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Got this emailed to me today. Some of these I knew about, but some of them are new to me. Have any of you ever used any of these home remedies and if so, do they work?

Did you know that?...
Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."
Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.
Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.
Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.
Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer . Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for this use. (Note: Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine is not the same...and contains aspirin, which can cause stomach bleeding if you have ulcers.)
Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.
Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.
Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.
Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.
Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.
Smart splinter remover...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.
Hunt's tomato paste boil cure....cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.
Balm for broken blisters...To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine ... a powerful antiseptic.
Heinz vinegar to heal bruises... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.
Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.
Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.
Quaker Oats for fast pain relief....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria. That one works, ask my mom. LOL
I won't do it, eww, but it works for her all the time.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them. Any Clear Polish will work ;-)

Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done. - Seen it tried on Myth Busters.. works really well!

Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing - There was a thread about that before and I think the OP got a lil yelled at for trying it. LOL

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Love the Coca-Cola one. Man's greatest invention. My favourite drink (don't drink coffee or tea); will soothe heartburn and a baby's stomach, remove tar from the highways, plus rust from a nail. Actually, emu oil is the Coke equivalent for many things - very soothing if highly refined and used as with other ingredients in face cream - plus will also take tar from road. Straight emu oil is too harsh for me though.

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I knew about the Coke one - coca cola can actually do lots of stuff. I always wonder whether things like this will really work or if it's just an old wives tale like using butter on burns. I don't think that I'd use vegetable oil in my dogs ears - and I've never used a dryer sheet to rub down the dog, but I have used baby wipes for a quick clean up! :p

CyberKitten
June 7th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I purchased my dad Haley's Hints for Father's Day a few yrs ago - it has all kinds of interesting suggestions like the ones mentioned above.

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss
This is the ‘bible’ of western herbalists everywhere! This very thick book contains so much helpful information, you will use it continuously.

How many of you remember This Book? :) brings back memories..

http://www.applepublishing.com/images/large/back_eden.JPG

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 09:59 PM
lol, i love the gatorade thing, great advertising for them.. many headaches are due to dehydration, drinking 2 glasses of water or any liquid with a high water content will rehydrate the brain, bang no pain.....its not the gatorade, its the water, and the glucose in the gatorade helps you feel better faster i suppose, but water is a great rememdy and cheap and natural, it only makes sense that with a body made of mostly water that replacing this water is benificial..........i hardly ever get headaches, and when i do its dehydration, two glasses of water my brian is back to normal, you can honestly feel the pain fading...isnt the brain just amazing (pictures of a dehydrated brain are fascinating, its funny how we dont treat our vital life forces the best at times, me included)...

my cold remedy is this--

around 3tblspoons of honey, 5 cloves of garlic, lots of eucalyptus oil, chillis and mix.... take a teaspoon every two hours and you will be better in no time, it sweats the fever out, horseradish has the same effect....

and another for colds-- before bed coat the bottom of your feet in vicks vapor rub, put on thick sox and go to bed. the heat of the vapor rub will again sweat any fevers and such out....

ear infections-- dilute apple cider vinegar and pour into the ear, apple cider vinegar is a natural antibiotic and similar properties....

for a chesty cough or infection---two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the morning, clears you chest really well and stave of infection....

i live by a book called the 'molly dyer' home remedy book (above comes from it), and the other book is the 'Apple Cider Remedy Book' it is amazing what it can do, from cleaning the healing wounds to a anti chest congestant...i never use anything else and hardley find the need for doctors....

Prin
June 7th, 2005, 10:14 PM
The Gatorade thing only works if you have a dehydration headache. There apparently are also headaches from lack of potassium too, which supposedly can be relieved by putting a banana peel on your forehead and on the back of your neck (according to Ann Landers).

Tension headaches (in your forehead usually) can disappear with a hard massage of your lower neck as well as the base of your skull in the back (where the trouble starts).

This one is not really a "home" remedy, but if you really don't want arthritis, become a bee-keeper. The juice in the stings prevents arthritis. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 8th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing - There was a thread about that before and I think the OP got a lil yelled at for trying it. LOL

actually our doctor reccomended putting warm olive oil in the ear to loosen ear wax, so I don't think this could be that bad, it did work too.