Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

jobs

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Well, James and I were just talking, and we decided that after the new baby is 8 weeks old, I am going to find a part-time job. I would be working when James is home, and on weekends. We want something sort of professional, and no food places or theaters. We were thinking about a place in the mall, but they are only open until 10 pm. I think it would be wonderful if I could find a job that has a daycare in it, for the employees. If it was that case, I would gladly work full time. But those are so hard to find.

I just don't know where I am going to find a job with the stuff we are looking for, that will hire part time, nights and weekends..... maybe a hotel????

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 03:31 PM
oh, the reason why we made this decision is that we are planning on moving to Europe after he is out of the military, and want to start saving up for it.

jackieb
June 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I worked in Ireland in a hotel 2 evenings and all weekend i did find it tough and couldnt do it for long so we moved back to the uk. Hotel work you would get waitressing which is what i did but its hard work i know you dont want shop work but i did shop work at evening found it easy and also if you go to a well known shop (one you shop in) you get good discounts for working there.

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I have plenty of time to find a job that is right for the family. I was thinking about a shop that specializes in children. But also that is willing to let me have the evening and weekend shifts ONLY. I can't do day shift. There is no way I am putting my kids into daycare. It is far to expensive here. Just ofr Judith it would be $600 monthly, when she is a year, and and another few hundred for the new baby. We can't afford that. If I have to leave an hour or 2 before James gets off from work that will be fine, we have friends that would be willing to watch the babies, for a small cost, if any.

We are just not going to let our children into schools here. James and I have seen ho bad they have gotten. Ours had drug dods come in every week. There was meth found once, in a kids locker....

We do however have a friend who was in school over in Germany for a few years, and he said that the school he went to was really good. And drugs were not an issue. So for our children's sake, we have decided to make the move. Plus James and I both want to study abroad.

Britishvixen21
June 7th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Where in Europe are you thinking of moving too?

and jackie where in Ireland did you live, my Mum lives in Waterford near Cork.

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM
James and I have said we are moving to Germany or Sweden. It won't be for another 2-3 years though, and for a few years, we can only have a visa, until James commitment with the army is over. He has another 4 years of inactive duty he is commited to.

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Oooh, Europe! I'm so jealous! I tried to talk my husband into moving to St. Thomas after he got laid off from his job, but he wanted to stay where he could hunt and fish, and get away from people when he wanted. Bummer.
Anyway, I know what you mean about the drugs - we don't have a huge problem in our schools, but it is a problem. I think the worst they've found in any of our schools is pot. Although meth is becoming quite a problem in the community next to mine. I was offered a job in Baton Rouge once, and I turned them down because my son was too young. They couldn't understand why that would make a difference until I told them that he wouldn't have any background to deal with the pressures in a big city. How would he be able to deal with someone wanting to shoot him because he had the wrong kind of shoes on - or drugs being shoved under your nose on every street corner? I am so glad that he's grown now but I worry what it will be like for my grandkids (when I have any).

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
How about insurance or a call centre? Most large companies have in-building day care. Some are free, some you pay (but it's cheap for employees). Call centres have really flexible hours too for part time.

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Raingirl, that is the kind of job I would love to have. How would I go about finding one???

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hmm...I know how in Canada...might be different in the states. Let me do a few searches. In canada we have this thing called "Workopolis" and it posts all the jobs from ALL the major newspapers across canada, as well as just online postings.

I see that Monster has a US site. www.monster.com Monster in canada is a pretty good place to find a job.

I would probably consider setting yourself up with a temp agency first, get some general experience. I did temp for a while after I graduated (few months) and did some odd jobs. Good way to get stuff on your resume. You can do part time evening and weekend temp jobs, and then apply for more permanent jobs while you are temping.

Here is one temp agency with job postings in call centres:

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=29398299&AVSDM=2005%2D04%2D20+10%3A57%3A21&Logo=1&q=call+center&lid=20583&lid=458&lid=29334&lid=20589&lid=708&lid=20588&lid=460&sort=rv&vw=d&cy=US&brd=1,128,1862,1863
here is another (maybe for when the kids are a little older):

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=29130189&AVSDM=2005%2D05%2D16+11%3A18%3A41&Logo=1&pg=2&q=call+center&lid=20583&lid=458&lid=29334&lid=20589&lid=708&lid=20588&lid=460&sort=rv&vw=d&cy=US&brd=1,128,1862,1863

Just go there and type in key words like "customer service" "call centre" "entry level" (with entry level you can find jobs that require little or no experience but you get more variety with the search).

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks I will keep an eye on those until I am ready to get a job.

CyberKitten
June 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
After reading this thread, I think the temp agency idea is a great idea. You can try different types of work until you find something that is a good fit. Here in NB and NS, many of the people who work in call centers have university degrees (Air Canada and Xerox for example) or they are students working on one, lol It is claimed one of the reasons call centers come here is b/c of our well educated and bilingual population (Halifax has more PhD's than any other city in North America and a few days ago a cabbie I had said he was a retired RCMP officer and I had no reason to doubt him). I think it may have more to do with our economy than any of that but anyway...sorry to get offtrack.

I do not know what your academic background is but you seem to have good keyboarding skills and there are always offices looking for data entry clerks and that sort of thing. Have you considered taking classes while you work so that you can try out different positions and then decide on one and by then know what degree you will require for it? My folks insisted we obtain a BSc since my mom thought a BA was pretty much useless unless you do graduate work. That was in the 70's and I think she may well have been farsighted. James is probably taking courses all the time in the army and you should think about your own future as well - and that of your family.

I have no idea about the call center industry where you are (Here, the govt ones are the best in terms of stability (i.e. not jobs on wheels like some of the less desirable ones) or large corporations like Air Canada (tho that whole industry is always under a cloud these days). If you are in Md (but you've moved to your mom's?), there are many hospitals there so I bet a temp agency would find you various clerical jobs there. My own secretary has a Business degree but she completed it while she worked (is a single parent and the hospital has a child care center - I have never been keen about the term daycare, it really is about the child!) - Her son is now in univerity tho, lol - no need for child care anymore.

I know at our hospital and the DOH, the minimum requirements are the completion of a course of some kind at a community college or other school/university in business and computer skills. Perhaps you can check the hospitals in your area? Your keyboarding is certainly better than mine, lol Have you considered law firms, receptionist/data entry/computer input type jobs at a local college or other business?

I would think with two little ones in your future, your best option is a large organization with a child care center located on site. That says something abpot the employer.