Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

essential appliances

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
What would you guys consider "essential appliances" for daily living.

I admit that I have a lot of appliances. However, the ones I could not live without are:

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
Blender
food processor
microwave
coffee make
bread maker
grill top

I love my kitchen aid...I want to get the grating/grinding/slicing attachment for it though so I can get rid of my food processor. The only thing I do in my food processor is grating and slicing things. I love my bread maker for making dough. If I had a BBQ I wouldn't need a grill top...wait..yes I would for the winter.

What appliances can you not live without? For those who like to cook/bake from scratch, I highly recommend spending some cash on a kitchen aid stand mixer. It is a GOD SEND!

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM
raingirl, what brand of breadmaker you got? and is it good? James and I are planning on buying one soon.

Britishvixen21
June 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Raingirl im a complete gadget FREAK! i have everything and im a sucker for a imformercial. but the one thing i could not live without is my magic bullet chopper. They are the best. I also cant believe I survived 24 years without a crock pot!

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I could not live without my coffee pot and the microwave, although the list might differ from winter to summer. I have a breadmaker, and I do like it, but my house is so noisy that the bread normally falls. I'm not much in the way of kitchen appliances although I own alot of them since my family keeps buying me the stupid things. Hmmmm....maybe they're trying to tell me something?

Raingirl: You don't use your outdoor grill in the winter? We do - although I don't have to stand outside (brrrrrr) since Hubby is the official grill attendant.

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 05:04 PM
OH yeah! Crock pot, forgot that on my list.

We have a black and decker bread maker. It was about $90 but I got it for Christmas (my mom took me to the store and said pick what you want). I know a few people who have had other brands and their broke, and then they got the black and decker ones and never had a problem. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and it works just as well as the first day I got it. I just went to their website and they may not make bread makers anymore as I couldn't find them in their product lists.

We don't have an outdoors so we can't grill right now. We live on the 10th floor, and have a covered balcony, so we can't even BBQ there. It sucks. I miss BBQing.

I guess if we had an outdoors we *might* BBQ in the winter...unlikely though. It gets to -40F (same as -40C) in the winter here.

glasslass
June 7th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I would hate to do without my Kitchenaid 5A stand mixer, microwave, and Cuisinart Grind & Brew Coffeemaker with timer. Only other thing I can't imagine doing without would be my Wusthof knives. Buy the best knives you can afford! Hand-kneading bread is the pleasure part of making bread.

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I spent MANY years hand kneeding bread. I make all kinds of artisan breads, but using the bread maker to get it to the pre-bake step is a lot easier.

Don't you love Kitchen Aid mixers glasslass??? I AM IN LOVE WITH MINE! I still haven't mastered the dough hook yet, so I still use my breadmaker to mix dough. I love it for whipping things, and making cake mixes, cookie dough, meat loaf, pasta fillings, everything! anything I used to do in the food processor or with a hand mixer I do in it now. I got a great deal on mine too as BF's parents work for the Bay here in Canada, and I got a discount with them, on a no tax day, with extra 10% off, and it was already on sale! I saved almost $200!

glasslass
June 7th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Mom & I took the breadmaking class at Yankee Hill Winery last month. It was wonderful! I bought a large package of instant yeast which I had never used before. Requires very little mixing and almost no kneading. The bread turned out really well too. Right now my favorite is Green Onion & Herbs. My hubby bought my Kitchenaid for me about 30 years ago when I made my first 3-tier wedding cake. I came home from work and it was sitting on my drainboard with a dishtowel over it. I'll take that over flowers anyday!!! The shredder/slicer attachment works great!

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
i'm saving up for the slicer/shredder. I want it SOOOO bad but it's like $80 here!

happycats
June 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM

We don't have an outdoors so we can't grill right now. We live on the 10th floor, and have a covered balcony, so we can't even BBQ there. It sucks. I miss BBQing.

They have seen some beautiful electric BBQ's now (they look like the propane ones) or you can get the table top version. and they can be used indoors or out!!

Daniac
June 7th, 2005, 09:05 PM
It's not really an appliance but I can't live without my little green clean machine.

It's soooo handy for cleaning up accidents on the carpet. :yuck:

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I love LOVE loveLOVE loveLOVE my crockpot!!

i would take it to my grave it i could, its the best thing, especially since i dont really have THAT much time to cook and im a morning person

so in the morning i toss ingredients in it and voila at 4 dinner is served

and I dont ahve to worry about the kidlets near the stove

Eleni

Prin
June 7th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Here's my brief list.
Dishwasher
Oven/stove
Freezer
Washing machine
Dryer
Fridge

In that order. And that's it. :)

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 11:14 PM
:D appliances are not eseential, they are a luxury and i bet there are a million woman in the third world who would testify to that, the best meals may not involve appliances at all :D

the only essential i need is a heat source, yeah sure its nice to have fancy stuff, i love my 1950's cake mixer, its more for aesthetic pleasure than any other, oh and i love my antique bean slicer, very cute but never used....

i used to be an outdoor tour guide (feels like a life ago). we used to take ppl out in the bush and desert and provide a variety of tours and activities. we have a thing called a camp oven, it is a huge cast iron pot with a lid and it hangs over a fire....we had 3 of them

one night i prepared a three course baked meal with dessert in the middle of no where with nothing but those 3 camp ovens and a hot fire lighted by a tourch...it was the most delicious meal and the customers were absolutly pleased.......

as kids in NZ, we would have a maori feast called a hungi (sp). it is a deep hole with fire on top and rocks inside, you put the meat and veg wrapped in either leaves or modern foil and bury it all, let it cook and oh my god, the food is just absolutly divine...

and the other week i learnt to make damper (bush bread) on an open fire, after i baked it i got the kids and we made toasted samdwiches with it over the fire, it was so much fun and the kids look beautiful wrapped in blankets around the fire making our breakfast stuck on the end of forked sticks it was too much fun......

nah i dont need luxuries in the kitchen, but rubber bands and pegs are an essential for any baker like me, can rubber bands be a luxury and cloths pegs?????without them i am stuffed so doesnt that classify as an essential appliance :D :D

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 11:15 PM
oh and i lived for 1 yr without a fridge, its amazing how many foods can be kept fresh in wet cloths in dark cupboards...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 8th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Lets see we don't have that much but I would love a kitchen aid mixer maybe a pretty red one, there pretty expensive though, usually the cheap hand mixer I have has smoke coming out of it by the time I finish mixing dough for cookies. I bake cookies maybe once a year.
here is our list
microwave
crockpot
rice cooker (from the 60s works really well, our newer one broke after a year
bbq
indoor bbq
apple slicer (dollar store)
washer and dryer a neccessity if you have kids, but we hang stuff up as much as we can especially in the okanagan heat stuff only takes about half hour to dry outside. The dryer man said it costs 30c to dry one load yikes.

I would love a new kettle, I don't know how it happened either me or my husband had a brain fart, but the electric kettle was melted onto the stove element, so now we are boiling water in a pot for tea.

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Mel, i know what you mean about food over a fire! Unfortunately, there are too many laws here and you aren't allowed to have fires on residential properties. I would have a campfire all the time if allowed! I love food over a fire! (I have a recipe for "scrambled bran" which is like bran muffins in a frying pan if you want it). Pit food is great too. We had some in Hawaii. Mmmm... I still like my kitchen aid though. Can't imagine trying to make buttercream icing without it.

research bulls, my kicthenaid is red...I think I went camera crazy when I bought it. Here is is. At my old place I only had one small counter top, half it was a single sink. The mixer basically took up the other half!

Britishvixen21
June 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I want one of those soooo bad, they look so cool too

Bearsmom
June 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Britishvixen21]the one thing i could not live without is my magic bullet chopper. QUOTE]

Why do you need to chop bullets?
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/25.gif

Writing4Fun
June 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I would have a campfire all the time if allowed!
Then I suggest, again, that you move up here. Most properties have a fire pit at the back. :D

Writing4Fun
June 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
the one thing i could not live without is my magic bullet chopper.
Ummmm.... what's a 'magic bullet chopper'?? :confused:

glasslass
June 8th, 2005, 02:14 PM
My belgian waffler makes the most perfect waffles every time, even over a campstove! I bought it years ago. Not electric. It has a gauge on each side and heats on top of the burner. I don't see them sold any longer. I tossed my electric one long ago. Best thing, it doesn't take any room in my cupboard at all. It's made by Nordicware.